So here is my latest WIP. While taking apart the 42030, I saw that its i6 engine was extremely smooth. This sparked the idea to build an i6 supercar, or in this case a BMW E46 M3.

It will be using Sheepo's MPS system for the chassis, McPherson front and multi link rear suspension. Two XL motors for propulsion and a servo for steering. The roof will use either an M or L motor. What other functions should I have ? It will be using the 62.4 x 20 s tires from the 42009.

86652c01.jpg

So here is the chassis (not all mounts are finalized nor are the engine mounts):

111.png

What do you think?

I would like to see more convertibles :wink: , especially with a nicely folding roof (not as mine). I suppose the BMW should have enough space for it in the rear. Depends how you want to make the interiour. I recently also got an idea about BMW 3 Coupe E36 or E46 - as a tuning car in yellow, not convertible. It should come in 2 versions which can easily be modified with special parts as a Tuning car with some nice eye - catching features.

Building the chassis: a chassis contains the inner mechanical cores of the axles, I would start on that first. Your frame looks you want make it sturdy, don´t waste space. The sturdiness cann be achieved later when building around the mechanics.

Nice idea, wish you much success to build it!

Edited by brunojj1

I would like to see more convertibles :wink: , especially with a nicely folding roof (not as mine). I suppose the BMW should have enough space for it in the rear. Depends how you want to make the interiour. I recently also got an idea about BMW 3 Coupe E36 or E46 - as a tuning car in yellow, not convertible. It should come in 2 versions which can easily be modified with special parts as a Tuning car with some nice eye - catching features.

Building the chassis: a chassis contains the inner mechanical cores of the axles, I would start on that first. Your frame looks you want make it sturdy, don´t waste space. The sturdiness cann be achieved later when building around the mechanics.

Nice idea, wish you much success to build it!

Thanks for all the encouragement man, it is really appreciated. For the roof, I hope it works well, as it will be my first convertible. Any idea for a forth function (or more).

I hope that an amazing builder like you makes an E36 or E46.

as a e46 convertible owner im gonna follow this topic

moaaaaaaar pics!!!!!

Aww, you lucky dawg!

Hope I will not disappoint you ;)

Cool seat color scheme ?

112.1.png

I like what about you ?

More of an update: The tires have now changed to the 68.8 x 36 zr as they let the chassis not touch the floor when completely compressed. They are also much wider so it basically has racing slicks; therefore it will be a tuned and modded version.

Did I mention that the rear suspension has been completed? It has four link multi link suspension, not the most realistic setup due to the lack of pictures of the real suspension. But the real one does have a type of multi link so there is some similarity. Next up the McPherson strut front suspension, an I've finally gotten MLCad to work so sheepo's version of suspension will be the same!

Little picture update and I have made the central 'tub' four studs longer. The Two XLs are installed but still need extra reinforcement.

the rear suspension

113.jpg

And a full chassis picture:

114.jpg

Edited by Epic Technic

Looking good, great work so far! But I think that 2 springs in the rear might not be enough,once you add on the weight of the battery, body work etc the springs might not be able to hold it up.

Looking good, great work so far! But I think that 2 springs in the rear might not be enough,once you add on the weight of the battery, body work etc the springs might not be able to hold it up.

The springs shouldn't be a problem as I can add another set of springs to the rear suspension.

Alright, this may sound like criticism but I'll try to help. Your model has the same problem like your previous one: you're ignoring some crucial shapes. The front end of the E46 is shaped like this, yet in your model it's a single line. You're building a model that will look like a brick when seen from above, like it was slammed into a wall or put into a compactor. The rear end of the real car is shaped much like a single line, this technique could work there, but not in the front. There is just no way it's not going to look weird. You should move the grille forward, move the headlights backward and completely reshape the front bumper which really adds to the brick-like appearance now. If you're sticking with beams for the bumper, try rotating them 90 degrees so the holes are facing up and down, not forward and backward. Then you can connect them with pins at angle and get closer to the real shape. I think the 8070 set could be a good inspiration for you - it uses a handful of simple techniques to create some very realistic shapes.

bmw.jpg

Alright, this may sound like criticism but I'll try to help. Your model has the same problem like your previous one: you're ignoring some crucial shapes. The front end of the E46 is shaped like this, yet in your model it's a single line. You're building a model that will look like a brick when seen from above, like it was slammed into a wall or put into a compactor. The rear end of the real car is shaped much like a single line, this technique could work there, but not in the front. There is just no way it's not going to look weird. You should move the grille forward, move the headlights backward and completely reshape the front bumper which really adds to the brick-like appearance now. If you're sticking with beams for the bumper, try rotating them 90 degrees so the holes are facing up and down, not forward and backward. Then you can connect them with pins at angle and get closer to the real shape. I think the 8070 set could be a good inspiration for you - it uses a handful of simple techniques to create some very realistic shapes.

Are you saying I should build a Nissan Cube? ;) Just kidding

Thank you for the helpful advice, and it is a true honor for this to come from an expert builder. I'm going to stick with beams, but moving the lights backwards is not really possible as they will thought the wheel while turning.

Thanks for the help!

Another Update!

The convertible roof is in the works and so are the doors. The front now has a curve and is one stud further out. this front was quite a pain in the Mega-blocks due to the wheel sometimes rubbing while turning. Other than that, not much else has been change or added except a bit more structural strengthening.

The front:

1.jpg

Top view:

2.jpg

Full body:

3.jpg

What do you think of it ?

It has improved, but it can be better I think. So let me try to give some constructive criticism (you evidently took Sariel's comments the right way :thumbup: ):

The two diagonal lines from the front grille to the window can be modelled quite nicely with panels I guess. The bonnet is very straight and boxy now. Maybe using a bit more curved panels with open spaces in between them that define the lines work better than closing every stud possible.

And of course the very, very difficult task of reproducing the distinctive BMW double-kidney grille... I have no idea how model to that, but it is an element worth spending a lot of effort on. If you can reproduce that grille in Lego, you can mess up almost every other part of the car and you'd still think it is a BMW.

Final advice would be to lower the panel above the lights to get that angry look (the 8070 is an example of that) and to get a bit more slope in the bonnet.

Keep up the good work.

Guys, I'm not sure if this project will ever get finished. The car has too much chassis flex, no rear seats, a very crude convertible system, and a slight lack of power. I have not touched it for a few months. I think I bit off more than I could chew plus I actually prefer building in a smaller scale.

It will only be continued if there is enough want from you guys.

Epic what scale is this model? 1:8 or 1:10? I have tested a lot of motor combinations... The best motor combination that I use are 2 M Motors hard coupled either with 3 16-teeth gears if you want more torque or I better like combination 24-8-24 teeth wheels... That make the 1:10 model pretty fast... Don't forget to use 2 IR receivers! Each for one motor... And I suggest to buy LiPo battery which is powerful as 2 battery boxes and weights only 1/3 of common 6AA Battery box... Every weight reduction makes your model faster and gives better acceleration... So don't build big models if you want also have a lot of fun with it...

If I build my supercar, I don't use any chassis or MPS from other builders... I start with both suspensions, connect wheels and then make chassis to have dimensions like the real one...

Max...

Edited by MaxSupercars

Chassis flex is the biggest problem with realistic looking chassis and chassis with no central frame (or backbone chassis). According to my experience, no matter how solid the frame around the cockpit, reinforcing the backbone is the most important.

Thanks for the info guys but I still think that it won't be continued. I have something much better planned. I am going to build a Toyota Hilux in a smaller scale.

Move onwards and upwards, to a project that really interests and enthuses you :)

Exactly! I've been drooling over building a Toyota Hilux