Sign in to follow this  
weavil

[WIP] Unknown Excavator

Here is a start to my excavator project. Was planning on doing a long reach type of excavator (demolition).

Currently I have the tracks, turn table, and drive motors.

640x480.jpg

The red pins are to remove the track assembly.

640x480.jpg

640x480.jpg

I will post a new picture later with the drive motors and other progress later tonight or in the morning.

Thoughts and ideas are welcome.

I think you should consider making the tracks a bit higher,if you use the small wheels/rollers with pin hole,they should work ok. :classic:

It has them on the bottom. I used the small black track cog with the 3x5 triangle to ensure it doesn't slip off.

It has them on the bottom. I used the small black track cog with the 3x5 triangle to ensure it doesn't slip off.

That is not what I meant,What I meant was that you should make the tracks taller/higher up.

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

Tracks look good weavil :classic:, @fasterthanlight, these type of excavators have a wide footprint for balance when working with a long boom.

Edited by Technic-Kobaltz

Tracks look good weavil :classic:, @fasterthanlight, these type of excavators have a wide footprint for balance when working with a long boom.

Not so much though,

18r5f8yho9u2ljpg.jpg

if the tracks are built that far apart they would have to also be wider, it just looks off-scale, thats all.

Not so much though,

if the tracks are built that far apart they would have to also be wider, it just looks off-scale, thats all.

Wrong type of excavator,below is a UHRD.

CAT395TUHD.jpg

You've missed the point completely fasterthanlight :sceptic:

Alasdair beat me to it, look at his picture and read the first post before you comment.

Edited by Technic-Kobaltz

What kinds of functions are you going to do? Anything different? Like tilting cab, rotating crawl. Are you going to use pneumatics or LAs?

This is the what I was going for (Alasdair Ryan had it):

Caterpillar 5110B

img_5610.jpg

Might have to add Pneumatics for the attachment and no extended boom, have no extension wire. Functions like the 8043 have but trying to avoid the gearbox.

Got some specs for the Cat 5110B and working on adjusting for scale.

You can use a LA bracket or smiler at the end of the dipper which would allow a full rotation and a open/closing shear using a worm gear.

After looking at the specs for the 5110B, it has three track width option: 700mm, 900mm, and 1000mm. 900mm was the best one for a close to even scale, 1:22.5. Using the tracks to make the scale (1:22.5) the track length was fine, but had to narrow it four studs.

640x480.jpg

640x480.jpg

640x480.jpg

I also found this:

RS45000-volledig.jpg

But I also found a problem... They get bigger!

640x427.jpg

Now the real problem. I am going to be short 1 M motor at least or I could just make it a regular excavator with a really big boom.

Edited by weavil

To keep the joints in position you could use a shocks spring and an 1/2 stop :3

Have you tested the speed of the tracks. Shuldn't they have been more geared down?

I have and i might gear them down a little more.

To keep the joints in position you could use a shocks spring and an 1/2 stop :3

Which joints?

You should swap m motors with l ones. M are weak :tongue:

Ummm....not really! Gear them down and they are fine. Plus I only got one L motor and need to gear down any way to make it go slower.

Two M motors--

How many track pieces are one each side?

That is a tricky question! I have about 180 of two different part numbers and four of a third numer. I mixed them to fit just right.

Two different part numbers?

I also working on an excavator, but i only have 68 track peices, so i wont be very large

Edited by aminnich

Those are some huge machines, got to be the biggest machines and the longest boom arms I've ever seen *huh*

Those are some huge machines, got to be the biggest machines and the longest boom arms I've ever seen *huh*

Japan has the biggest UHRDS in the world,but telescopic crane booms are still bigger.

They use the blue and orange in the pic above, you can add boom sections. The one I'm doing, the cat 5110B, they modify the mount points for a 90m telescopic boom.