2 hours ago, Ankoku said:

Does anyone have a BrickLink friendly parts list for this?

Try here for a BrickStick parts list, which BrickLink should be able to upload.

I just created it from the LDraw mpd file, via Rebrickable. Rebrickable is my "go to" place for parts list building these days as it is very easy to import models, correct part errors (e.g. colours) and then create other output formats by exporting from Rebrickable.

David

Edited by djm
typo

Still a great module (thanks @torso and @djm)

Mine has now done over 7 multi-day shows, over the last 3 years with no major issues at all

Still very much a fan favourite..  you often catch people stuck, staring at it for minutes at a time!

At a recent show, we had 2 side by side, and most of the time, they were in synch!

It has been an interesting one for me. e.g. the GBC machines I like the best, are the ones with the smoothest motions. So this wasn't up there on my priority list to build as at certain points it isn't perfectly smooth.

Also, it is so complex, gearing wise, I didn't feel as though I would learn that much from building it. e.g. still going over my head having built it :P

That said, it is an amazing thing. I have only heard great things about it, reliability wise, which is the gold standard really with GBC. Also, it uses a lot of mainly Technic parts, which makes it more desirable to build when your collection is mainly Technic. Whenever I do a BrickLink or LEGO purchase, it is nearly always basic bricks, plates and tiles that I am buying for GBC builds.

The real winner is having all that gearing on display for all to see. I love that aspect of it. I also love the unique use of the differential gear.

Came across these modifications to the Cardan Lift off ramp.

800x753.jpg

I am planning on implementing something similar as balls do get trapped in that middle section. It self corrects as more balls come along and push them out, but it isn't ideal.

17 hours ago, Ankoku said:

Came across these modifications to the Cardan Lift off ramp.

800x753.jpg

I am planning on implementing something similar as balls do get trapped in that middle section. It self corrects as more balls come along and push them out, but it isn't ideal.

Great close up picture, it's my GBC! Yes I added those curved slopes because of the balls hanging up sometimes and then a whole rush of balls goes to the next GBC, not ideal for some machines working in a group.

Because you're using multiple base plates, be sure they're secure to each other. The one under the ball lift section can mess up the 'timing' if it comes loose from the one next to it.

Handling during set-up usually helps everything dis-connect, I always have to fix timing at various venues to display.

In comparison to the Akiyuki Ball Factory, the timings are pretty generous.

I am contemplating changing the ball holding arm to try and make it a bit lighter or adding some support, since it sticks out so far.

I just like trying to make things run as smooth as possible.

I am contemplating changing the ball holding arm to try and make it a bit lighter or adding some support, since it sticks out so far.

I just like trying to make things run as smooth as possible.

This GBC runs pretty darn smooth, my issue was the gear that runs the 'lift' gets out of timing with the 'crank arm' and/or the parts associated with the mechanism. 

Good luck giving more strength to transfer arm, I haven't any problems with the design, although I have noticed 'white dust' in all the gears running this portion.

It is just the OCD in me. It is certainly not needed at all.

I have that too! I try to not let it show, but when I'm working on a new MOC, this unfortunate habit of mine shows big time, ask the wife.....

Her response, "You're taking that apart again?"

I am slowly making my way through the various Akiyuki modules and fixing the bits which either don't work very well, or far more commonly are wrong in the instructions in comparison to his original design.

Just fixed the Fork to Fork module. Not entirely happy with the motion of the arms, but I am not sure it can be changed. It makes me want counter balance them for a smoother motion.

Still in process of fixing catch and release. Made a few bits far better, but I suspect it needs to be driven from both ends to stop torque issues flinging the odd ball out.

There's a different recent thread about the most technical technic sets... I think GBC stuff is a serious contender. There's some pure, complex mechanical engineering in a lot of these modules. Brilliant to watch as well!

(and i say this as someone who's never built any GBC modules, so totally neutral!!)

As a single entity, I think the Akiyuki Train lift and dumper + the mods people have made to it, is a good contender.

For me, the Cardan Lift is one of those bonkers things I would never have been able to come up with myself. You can certainly reduce the number of gears in it, as this version has quite a lot, but still, even with an example of the mechanism, I don't think I would have been able to convert it to Technic.

This is for @9v system.

Apologies for the slightly fuzzy image.

800x450.jpg

So this was a hack of a colour change, since I pretty much changed everything which was light bluish grey to black.

Obviously, I changed the baseplates colour.

I still need to change the bricks at the base on the left from dark bluish grey to black.

I think I will most likely changed the tiles at the top to dark bluish grey, so it goes grey, black, grey.

As you can see, behind the gears, there are a couple of black Technic, Liftarm 1 x 6 Thin which got caught in the black change, which I will most likely switch back to light bluish grey. There is also a a black Technic, Pin Double with Axle Hole, which I will most likely keep as is, to match the Technic, Axle and Pin Connector Perpendicular Split, since it doesn't come in red.

Will changed the light bluish grey Technic, Axle 9 to being yellow, to match the Technic, Shock Absorber 9.5L (Soft Spring) behind it.

Oh and I changed the light bluish grey Technic, Gear 24 Tooth (2nd Version - 1 Axle Hole) on the hopper to dark bluish grey.

I do kinda want to replace the ball holder arm to a different design, try and make it light, more rigid, but that is for another day.

So, in the image above, you can see there is a reasonable gap between the hopper feeder ramp and the arm that moves. Currently, I am having the issue where on occasions, the 5th ball isn't fast enough and thus falls into that gap and then out.

I have tried adjusting the 24 tooth gear between the 20 and 40 tooth gears at the front. Moving it one way corrects the issue, but then it catches against the off-ramp. 1 tooth the other way doesn't work at all.

I have also tried adjusting the 24 tooth gear which connects with the differential.

Neither has helped with the issue.

Watching the original video, it seems to be sitting in a slightly different position to what I have, so I know a gear needs adjusting somewhere.

Any ideas?

Larger version of the image above!

Edited by Ankoku

Okay, so this seems to be one of those cases where the instructions don't match the original again.

The dropping of the 5th balls seems to go away if you sync it up based on the positions of various gears etc. in the video. If you try and do it based on the PDF instructions, it drops the 5th quite often.

The off ramp seems rather different in the PDF in comparison to the video. Both in the placement and the structure/baseplate placement. I think this is why balls are getting stuck there.

Ankoku, if you solved your issues it would be very Kind if you could share the solution :) I came across this realy amazing mechanics and plan to build it. 

Well, I am currently trying to work out if it is A: Reliable and B: Needed.

Others seem to get it working without fault, but as of yet, I have yet to find a synchronisation which solves the drop issue.

Good luck. It is the syncing which was the real issue for me. Still don't believe I have it correct.