I have now aligned things better. You can get the LDraw model and synchronization instructions here: http://torso.me/cardanlift

That would be awesome. I'm waiting. :wink:

Thank you very much for posting the LDraw model. I had just finished reverse engineering an approximation of your module into LDD and literally had placed orders on BrickLink for the parts. It is going to be interesting to compare my LDD build against the LDraw one to see how accurate my reverse engineering is. The plan is to include this module in the GBC display of the Aucklang LUG's annual Brick Show in October.

Regards,

David

I wanted to try LPub3D (http://www.eurobrick...howtopic=111940) to create build instructions using a model of a reasonable (but not too large) size. The "part fading" capability of LPub3D appeals to me.So I used the LDR file for the Cardan Lift as my experiment.

The results are available here, as;

Please note the following outcomes;

1. LPub3D seems to have an issue with fading the PF medium motor, failing to render it at all. This was circumvented by placing it as the first step of a sequence of steps (page 53). However, it does not appear on subsequent pages when it should and two Technic friction pins have been faded prematurely on the subsequent step (page 54).
  2. I added two baseplates which were not in the original build. They are included in the first step of the sub-models (page 1 and page 53) but are deliberately hidden on subsequent build steps of the corresponding sub-model to reduce the "noise" they create in the build instructions.
  3. I think the original version 2 LDR file is missing one Technic Axle pin, which is visible in the photos of the model. I have added this pin and it occurs on step 9 on page 79.
  4. The Technic bricks used for the entry ramp slope from step 59 (page 42) to step 63 (page 46) will likely require a slightly different build sequence. The pins and bricks won't assemble "gracefully" in the order as presented in the build instructions. I leave this as an exercise for the reader (or for someone else to amend and recirculate the MPD file and build instructions accordingly).
  5. I replaced the "bucket" contained in the V2 LDR (as identified by torso) with the appropriate modified 1 x 2 plate with pin hole on bottom.

18677.jpg

Regards,

David

I wanted to try LPub3D (http://www.eurobrick...howtopic=111940) to create build instructions using a model of a reasonable (but not too large) size. The "part fading" capability of LPub3D appeals to me.So I used the LDR file for the Cardan Lift as my experiment.

The results are available here, as;

Great progress. :thumbup: The LBG slopes added in step 36 are not turned correctly though.

• I think the original version 2 LDR file is missing one Technic Axle pin, which is visible in the photos of the model. I have added this pin and it occurs on step 9 on page 79.

Good catch. I've added it to my model.

• The Technic bricks used for the entry ramp slope from step 59 (page 42) to step 63 (page 46) will likely require a slightly different build sequence. The pins and bricks won't assemble "gracefully" in the order as presented in the build instructions. I leave this as an exercise for the reader (or for someone else to amend and recirculate the MPD file and build instructions accordingly).

To my knowledge it should be theoretically buildable. Didn't spend much effort on making it easy though. :tongue:

Great progress. :thumbup: The LBG slopes added in step 36 are not turned correctly though.

Ooopps. I've corrected that and replaced the PDF and MPD files so the download links refer to the corrected files.

Regards,

David

Thanks, Torso, and djm for putting the effort into creating the digital files... I had planned on allocating a weekend to reverse engineering it, from the video... but of course, this will be much easier!

Yet another GBC to drain my supply of 40t gears! ;)

RB

The parts came through from my BrickLink orders recently so I was able to try the actual build using the instructions. Take note of the following observations about the (my!) build instructions;

1. The build instructions and MPD files have been updated. The links remain as they were but point to the updated files.
  2. One blue 3L technic pin has been added (on step 7, page 77) at the "top-most" point. This was absent in the previous version of the build instructions/MPD but became obvious one I did the actual build.
  3. I've found a workaround for most of the issues with using the "fade" capabilities of LPub3D. Both the medium PF motor and the shock absorber which were not displayed subsequent to their initial placement are now appearing "faded". There is still an outstanding issue with two of the 3 black 2L Technic pins being shown as faded in their initial placement.
  4. The shock absorber has been coloured yellow rather than black, as per the original video. Based on its colour, the assumption is that the shock absorber has a hard rather than soft spring.
  5. The "exit ramp" is placed in a slightly different position on the baseplate. It was being hit by the Cardan lift when in the position which I had originally assigned it to.
  6. The build instructions aren't quite in the right sequence. There will be steps where a little bit of nous will need to be applied to build the model properly e.g. where beams are connected to the baseplate via the Technic pin connector plate. The assumption is made that you will be able to work it out properly.

32530.gif

Regards,

David

Edited by djm

This is brilliant! I'm just starting to take an interest in GBC models.Great work on the instructions too, I would love to build it. Is there a parts list so I can make a bricklink order?

Is there a parts list so I can make a bricklink order?

Yes and no! While the instructions do not contain a bill of materials, the MPD file can be used to produce one, as follows;

1. download the MPD file
  2. use BrickStock (available as a free download) and import the MPD file
  3. apply the part "fixes" listed below when BrickStock identifies an issue with the part. Use the category list on the left hand side of the "fix" dialog - also listed below - to speed up the "fix" process
  4. use the BrickStock menu option "File/Export/BrickLink Wanted List XML to Clipboard", follow the instructions (which will open BrickLink)
  5. paste the content of your clipboard into space provided for XML. Suggestion: you may want to amend the notify tag from Y to N to prevent receiving a flood of part notifications being sent by BrickLink.

The part fixes are:

• [Tire & Tread] 50945 for 50951
  • [Technic, Gear] 3648 for 3648b
  • [Technic] 4265c for 32123b
  • [slope] 3040 for 3040b
  • [Electric, Motor] 58120c01 for 58120
  • [Technic, Shock Absorber] 2909c02 for 75348
  • [Technic, Gear] 60c01 for 76244

Regards,

David

I'm making a couple of slight color adjustments for my build just to make it fit in better with my other modules.

640x360.jpg

I finished building this module last weekend and I have to say that I love it. Super reliable and fun to watch. I particularly like all the unusual angles used in the red support structure which were not strictly necessary but add to the visual interest of the model.

Yes.. and it's a very reliable module too... ran all weekend...

the only slight issue, is that sometimes (even with a full hopper), it only seems to push 4 balls up..

..and sometimes.. when it does get 5... the 5th ball slides into the 'hand', and bounces out.. spilling

But other than that, mechanically, it's perfect

Yes.. and it's a very reliable module too... ran all weekend...

the only slight issue, is that sometimes (even with a full hopper), it only seems to push 4 balls up..

..and sometimes.. when it does get 5... the 5th ball slides into the 'hand', and bounces out.. spilling

But other than that, mechanically, it's perfect

Yes, I found exactly the same thing. Sometimes it only picks up 4 balls and drops the 5th. I found this could be improved by prying apart the axles on the sides of the "bucket". This gives a little more room inside and it works better.

1. paste the content of your clipboard into space provided for XML. Suggestion: you may want to amend the notify tag from Y to N to prevent receiving a flood of part notifications being sent by BrickLink.

David,

How do you do this? This is easily one of the most annoying aspects of importing the wanted lists from brickstock and I would love to know how to change it.

Also, to stay on topic, I plan to build this...going to integrate it with the akiyuki stuff.

How do you do this? This is easily one of the most annoying aspects of importing the wanted lists from brickstock and I would love to know how to change it.

Assuming by "this" you mean >>Suggestion: you may want to amend the notify tag from Y to N to prevent receiving a flood of part notifications being sent by BrickLink.<< then (from memory) what I do is

1) paste the clipboard into Notepad in Windows

2) use find and replace to replace the whole tag <NOTIFY>Y</NOTIFY> with the tag <NOTIFY>N</NOTIFY>

3) Select all of the content as it now is in Notepad

4) Paste the modified content into BrickLink

Comments:

1) XML tags are case sensitive, so whatever the case (lower, upper or mixed) of the "notify" tag is, make sure you preserve it.

2) if there is no "notify" tag (I'm doing this from memory) then pick a closing tag and replace it with itself and <NOTIFY>N</NOTIFY> as above. e.g. replace </COLORID> with </COLORID><NOTIFY>N</NOTIFY>

If your question is about something else, can you please clarify?

Regards,

David

Edited by djm

I wasn't clear about what I was hung up on at all but you answered my question perfectly. Thank you! I'm not sure why I never considered taking the raw xml data from the copy/paste and putting it somewhere else first to mass-adjust the flags.

I wasn't clear about what I was hung up on at all but you answered my question perfectly. Thank you! I'm not sure why I never considered taking the raw xml data from the copy/paste and putting it somewhere else first to mass-adjust the flags.

Note that you also simply turn off notifications in Bricklink preferences. This is what I have done.

But then you wouldn't get notifications for anything right? I have many items that have price or qty conditions that alert me if they are met.

Yes, I found exactly the same thing. Sometimes it only picks up 4 balls and drops the 5th. I found this could be improved by prying apart the axles on the sides of the "bucket". This gives a little more room inside and it works better.

I've always pushed the axles apart. It's not particularly rigid. Maybe it would help to fix the half-stud offset and make it centered over the tipping platform. Another error I know about (seen once) is that sometimes a ball will not start rolling when at the top. As soon as the arm starts moving again, the ball drops straight down.

That it sometimes only pushes up four balls is OK. Whenever I've measured the throughput, it has exceeded the specification.

There are several improvements planned for this module, but for now it's good enough. The most needed improvement would be to get it off baseplates and onto something that is easier to move and pack.

agreed.. it's slightly awkward to transport

I put the output stage on 2x2 tiles with centre hole, to make it easier to remove - will take a pic tonight.

agreed.. it's slightly awkward to transport

I put the output stage on 2x2 tiles with centre hole, to make it easier to remove - will take a pic tonight.

I just built a display case for it with a wooden base like my other modules.

I think you'd be aghast at how my current lot of modules look right now... thrown into big tubs, during Brickvention pack.... most of them in a few pieces...

...but it's lego.. and I don't mind fixing and repairing bits here and there!

I did make a long transporter box for my Truck Dumper module, though :)