I'm getting started building GBC-modules. Now I have finished one.

cardanlift1t.jpg cardanlift2t.jpg cardanlift3t.jpg

Very Nice! I bet it took a while to figure out the kinematics. I'm really impressed at how you included 'dead-spots' in the kinematics where some parts literally stop moving long enough to pick-up the balls. This is typically implemented with Geneva mechanisms and the sort but with Lego, that's quite an achievement. Keep up the good work :thumbup:

Edited by DrJB

Nice work :thumbup:

I saw

a while ago, and wondered how I could incorporate it into a Lego contraption, and it looks like you have done exactly that!

And that's your first one? My goodness, I can't wait to see what else you come up with!

The mechanism is lovely to watch, but I particularly like the three-stage output chute.

Owen.

I'm glad you like it, although I didn't invent the mechanism. Just built a lego version of this one:

. Copying that one increased my chance of finishing on time, but I'll definitely try to build something more original in the future.

That is really great. I love how it can take on multiple balls.

I wanted it to run at a certain speed, so I adjusted how many it had to take on each cycle.

Great. There's a complex simplicity about it. By that I mean I want to build one now but I know it's not that easy.

Well done.

H :thumbup:

With Torso's permission, I built a version of his Cardan lift design and put it on display in a GBC loop at Brickfair Virginia 2015 (July 29 - August 2, 2015). The module ran flawlessly during loop testing and two public sessions. Each public session was about six hours of continuous running time and there were no issues or problems at all during operation. In my opinion this module is designed very well and capable of running very long periods of time without error. Excellent work Torso.

Edited by Technic Fan

With Torso's permission, I built a version of his Cardan lift design and put it on display in a GBC loop at Brickfair Virginia 2015 (July 29 - August 2, 2015).

I saw it there! My son and I were really happy to see (in person) one of our "YouTube GBC Video" playlist favorites. Thanks to Torso and Technic Fan.

Cheers,

-Mark Rebuck

I stumbled upon this thread just today but am really impressed with the smoothness of the operation!

Is there any chance that us humans also get to build this magnific mechanism by looking at more pictures or even a digital model of some sort?

I would really love to build this one so any help is appreciated!

There are no instructions for this module. I was able to recreate it using the photos Torso posted on this thread, watching the video and a 3D model of the Cardan Lift posted on Swebrick. The 3D model was made with LeoCAD and many of the parts are not aligned properly, but I was able to create a functioning module from the resources provided. The only tricky thing about it is to synchronize the arm.

+1 to this.. I have all the parts, and will be dedicating some time to studying, and freeze framing the video a lot... it's a mesmerizing mechanism!!

This MOC is fantastic to watch! :look: I was so hypnotized seeing it run, I had to build one to actually understand its' mechanics.

I was given permission to rebuild this creation for our club, IndyLug and will be showing this to the public in a couple of weeks in Bloomington, IN. USA (thanks again)

Just a marvelous invention! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Yes, it's very reliable, I dropped more balls than the machine. :laugh: (it didn't drop any)

So, there's still interest in this module. I've made some tweaks to it after posting that video. Now there are no known reliability issues.

I made a 3D model while designing it, as I find that easier than building with bricks directly. I'll align the last few things and post it. Not going to make instructions though.

I have now aligned things better. You can get the LDraw model and synchronization instructions here: http://torso.me/cardanlift

I've no doubt that someone here will take the 3D model and produce adequate instructions.

That would be awesome. I'm waiting. :wink: