Sign in to follow this  
davidmull

New to modular.

Hi I'm a technic collector and just new to trains. Thing is I'd like to buy my first modular building as well while there a pretty ok price. My question is what is the best current modular out?

Or what are the must have ones.

Hey davidmull, welcome to the weird and wonderful world of modulars!

What the best modulars are is of course a matter of taste.

There are a few topics here about favourite modulars, and the results are diverse, to say the least.

Problem is that the older ones are difficult to come by, and very expensive.

Parisian restaurant might be a good start; it's the second newest modular, so it's readily available at a normal price, and most people are very enthiousiastic. Other popular ones are Pet shop (about to be discontinued in some countries, as I understand) and Green Grocer (one of the first, and dead expensive). Those are my favourites, anyway.

Another option (maybe for the future?) might be to buy instructions online of a modular you like (there are some good sources), and order the bricks from bricklink. Or design your own!

Good luck on your quest, and keep clicking those bricks together!

Edited by Withacee

Welcome to modular buildings! I think you will find that they are very addictive and fun to build. My favorites are the Pet Shop and Parisian Restaurant, but I would buy the PS first because I've heard rumors that it will be discontinued this year.

Pet shop is in stock local so might get that first so :)

I'd like a corner building also what's the cinema like?

Edited by davidmull

Pet shop is in stock local so might get that first so :)

I'd like a corner building also what's the cinema like?

There's a very nice review on the Cinema on this forum. I think it looks pretty fantastic.

Get the pet shop first. It's the oldest and probably has the shortest remaining shelf life. Plus, it's one of the best modulars with a lot of MOC possibilities. Pet shop. Really a 'no brainer'.

They are all very nice, so you can't go wrong. I would highly suggest buying the oldest one that is still available for MSRP; probably the cinema or Pet Shop. Once you get it, I assure you, you will be hooked. They get very pricey once they retire.

I agree with Pet Shop. Its really two modulars and each one is smaller. Plus you can enter Kristal's contest!

I am pretty sure once you build one, you will be hooked. Before long you will be trying to sell a kidney so you can get a sealed Green Grocer...

I would recommend getting the PR and PS for sure; whatever will retire first, get that first. If you can aford both at the same time...get both before they retire. PC is my least favorite...don't care too much for the design.

As far as corner buildings go, I like Grand Emporium best, but I have no idea about availability, at the moment.

As far as corner buildings go, I like Grand Emporium best, but I have no idea about availability, at the moment.

Agreed. You may need to get it while its still 'reasonable' on the secondary market. While some didn't like the interior, that's easily remedied and the outside makes for a great corner building. I haven't seen it at the Lego store or lego.com in the U.S. for several months.

Edited by Off the wall

Welcome! I was new to join the club mid 2014 and what I can suggest to you is to get the recently retired/discontinued sets such as the Grand Emporium/Town Hall for a bit over RRP but not excessive if you want majority of the modular series. Unfortunately for me, Cafe Corner, Green Grocer and Fire Brigade were out of my price range and budget. So get the recent sets before they also become pricey.

Yes, go for the Pet Shop while it is still out. As for older modulars, perhaps you could Bricklink one at a time. You can probably collect the individual parts for cheaper than a sealed box, and can keep the price down if you make a few substitutions. For example, some people have built a "Blue Grocer" using the same design at the Green Grocer, except they used the much cheaper and more available blue parts.

I'm also going to buy my first modular. Probably the pet shop because it's the oldest one that I like. So it might retire soon. But in I'm also going to bricklink cafe corner. I think it looks amazing.

Edited by Lukasguy

Running out of time for all but the DO and PR....all the rest are on borrowed time... :-)

I don't really like the cinema for some reason, and the pet shop just looks great. So I'll buy that one. I still have time with the DO and PR

I would start with the pet shop if you can get it before it's discontinued, as all of my favorites are now discontinued, but I do love the Parisian Cafe. I also highly recommend the detective's office. Not wild about the Cinema-- the style just feels out of place and I haven't figured out how to MOD it to make it blend better.

In personally think the Ps is a great first build. It was mine. You get 2 different buildings to build. They can be seperated in your Lego city layout so you'll feel like you get 2 modulars ! My favourite till now is still the GE though !

I am also debating which to get, I do want the Pet Shop and I know it will retire soon,but I realllllly want the Parisian Cafe for some reason

I am also debating which to get, I do want the Pet Shop and I know it will retire soon,but I realllllly want the Parisian Cafe for some reason

Well, as stated by others before: If you can't buy both at the same time, start with PS. PR will be around for a while.

Experience teaches us there's hardly ever any regret over a bought modular, but almost always over the ones that you decided not to buy, and is now out of production.

Hi, I started the modular three month ago and I first bought the PR because I think it was the most beautiful set but it was not the best idea.

When I saw that the PC and PS were out of stock on the Lego Shop, I run to my Lego Store in Disneyland Paris to buy both the sets.

If you don't have unlimited money, if I were you I will buy the PS because of the fear to be retired soon (but according to a guy on an other topic on this board, it should be retired late this year - http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=107549entry2184929).

So if you want all the modulars currently available, I will buy the set in this order: PS, PC, PR, DO