Sign in to follow this  
Logan McOwen

An amazing CCBS-related revelation...

So, a lot of builders aren't really very keen with using G1 Bionicle parts with the CCBS. While that's fine and dandy, I just want to tease you with a little something I discovered the other week...

16409626087_461c2c6bc7_c.jpg

Yep, Vorox armour works perfectly with CCBS bones with Technic holes! Connected with just one Technic pin, and kept stationary via it's own axle connector slotting into the bottom of the socket area of the bone, it's almost as if you have a brand spanking new CCBS shell! This Vorox can't believe his newly-revamped optics!

Even if you're largely CCBS purist (like myself), I still think you should invest in some of these. They come in tan and brown like you see here, but also black and purple, and a 5 year money back guarantee! Lewis god dammit this isn't an infommercial please stop

Give it a try!

Edited by Logan McOwen

Nice work. I'm not really into CCBS (only got back into constraction a year ago), so I only have the G1 pieces. I don't know how to use CCBS, but maybe I'll pick up a set or two and try something like this. Thanks for the inspiration!

Thanks Lewi, I'll have to pick some of those up from Bricklink. I tend to use a blend of CCBS, Technic, and old Bionicle, so this would work pretty good! :classic:

As I also like to mix-and-match old Bionicle stuff with Hero Factory and new Bionicle, that's a very welcome tip here.

Unfortunately I skipped on Vorox, but I believe I got this piece in black in various sets back then... and haven't used all of them yet.

Most thigh cover parts work like this too. Also the Inika shoulders and the special armor parts from Carapar, Takadox and Kalmah. A whole lot of pieces basically :v

This does look nice though!

Edited by WARHEAD

Very nice! I've always liked those shell pieces, it's good to hear they work well with ccbs.

Ahhh, I have me nine of these in black, they will be perfect for my self moc that uses Gen 1 and CCBS.

P.S: We need more piston aesthetics in CCBS!

It's funny how relevant this is now, huh? :P

Not really, because none of the new sets uses this type of connection :P

It's nice to see how LEGO themselves is willing to break up the CCBS design pattern to give the sets a more G1 feel in terms of design.

And it's also nice to get old pieces again in more colours!

Not really, because none of the new sets uses this type of connection :P

They should have though, Lewa's lower legs look dangerously short for a tall and slender bodied character like him.

Lewi's solution looks better and feels less awkward and more flexible.

Yes, I too would've much preferred if 2016 Lewa's lower legs were done like this, and will likely change them to be that way if/when I get him. While the custom construction is unique, Lewa ends up with some seriously knobbly knees thanks to those Y-joints - much like Dennis the Menace here.

33397fcaa1b4ae49db961b5bbad39721fe03c0e1.jpg

No offence meant to any British comic book characters.

That said though, I can understand why my design isn't being used. Not only is it a rather delicate method for attaching a part of its size, it's also technically an illegal connection - the little axle on the Vorox armour isn't really supposed to sit inside the slot on that bone. The design used on 2016 Lewa, while aesthetically questionable, is a much more logical choice for an action figure which is gonna get bashed about a lot.

Edited by Logan McOwen