TF Twitch

[MOC] Emerald Night class locomotives

It has been a while since I posted here, but I figured that I would post some WIP pictures of a new locomotive that I have been working on. It (and the eventual train cars that it will pull) are inspired by the new Disney Minifigures. With that in mind, the locomotive and train cars will have odd proportions and some "silly" designs. The colors are not final, although I may keep the main part of the boiler tan. Any input and constructive criticism is welcome!

28114321425_2568d41438_c.jpg

27588226563_0c6a9582a9_c.jpg

Your builds are very nice and I love your techniques for putting the motors in the locomotive. I would like to know if it is possible to run your trains on normal Lego curves or do you have to use ME models track. I would like to build variants of these myself and I am a Leo purist so this is crucial information for me. By the way i am in no way criticizing ME models because they have done fantastic work. Brick on!

Looking at his wheel arrangements, I'd say they should manage fine on Lego curves. I'm more interested in how much they can pull and how fast.

Your builds are very nice and I love your techniques for putting the motors in the locomotive. I would like to know if it is possible to run your trains on normal Lego curves or do you have to use ME models track. I would like to build variants of these myself and I am a Leo purist so this is crucial information for me. By the way i am in no way criticizing ME models because they have done fantastic work. Brick on!

Everything that I build I design so that it works on regular LEGO track, and my hope is that it looks well while traversing the track.

Looking at his wheel arrangements, I'd say they should manage fine on Lego curves. I'm more interested in how much they can pull and how fast.

My "Disney Locomotive" has its frame based upon Nick Jackson's Midland 4F, which can be found here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94581721@N06/albums/72157646570249721 His frame is amazing since it allows the L-Motor to sit between the driving wheels and underneath the boiler.

Edited by TF Twitch

The only downside is this arrangement has trouble with traversing the older 9V switches (prob 12V too, idk). I think it would probably struggle with pulling 8 wide rolling stock, but can manage quite a few 7 wide, and even more TLG type stock....

My "Disney Locomotive" has its frame based upon Nick Jackson's Midland 4F, which can be found here: https://www.flickr.c...157646570249721 His frame is amazing since it allows the L-Motor to sit between the driving wheels and underneath the motor.

hehehe thanks for thee praise! I'm currently trying to make a version that's even more robust and versatile... stay tuned!

~M_Slug357