TF Twitch

[MOC] Emerald Night class locomotives

After the Emerald Baltic I've totally missed this locomotive and the lovely livery red & black! :wink:

I like the double chimeny! :thumbup:

The black and red just work well for the 2-6-4. Realistically the double smoke stack would probably never be used on a locomotive of this size, but once again I like the look. I want to add some more greebles and details to the lower part of the boiler just above the driving wheels, but I am unsure what to do with the limited space.

I don't know about other countries, but in the UK double chimneys were always built as a one piece oval with two holes rather than 2 separate chimneys, Because of this, it looks a bit weird to me.

I don't know about other countries, but in the UK double chimneys were always built as a one piece oval with two holes rather than 2 separate chimneys, Because of this, it looks a bit weird to me.

I am taking "artistic freedom" with this since my 2-6-4 is not based on anything in particular.

It was requested of me last year (see what I did there?) to post some pictures of the passenger cars that were used on my Arctic Swift Christmas train. They are practically recolored Emerald Night coaches with some extra festive greebles.

24280532492_8de64f07c0_c.jpg

For FebRovery (a Classic Space thing), I created a Maintenance of Way rover to service the Classic Space train tracks. While Earthly vehicles have the train wheels flip down, I took artistic and creative liberty to switch them.

24404563433_9440aa00c5_c.jpg

24938109231_d59fb66701_c.jpg

4-6-2 Emerald Night (Improved)

23411777242_ede41029a7_c.jpg

Here is another upgraded version of the Emerald Night locomotive. Originally I set about to shove two L-Motors inside of the boiler, similar to the other Emerald Night-style locomotives that I have done. I found, however, that due to the shorter boiler of the Emerald Night that routing the wires from the front lights would be an issue, so I downgraded the motors to two M-Motors. The other tender that I designed was built in 7-wide and housed the AA Battery Box, but the tender looked to bland and square. The solution was to take the tender from the Emerald Northern and change it to dark green. Overall I like the new appearance.

Could you use this setup on the Baltic? And since the Baltic's boiler is slightly longer than the original's, could two L-Motors fit?

Edited by harizonwrlss

Could you use this setup on the Baltic? And since the Baltic's boiler is slightly longer than the original's, could two L-Motors fit?

While two L-Motors will fit inside the boiler, the issue lies with routing the wires. This is why I downgraded to M-Motors. The Emerald Baltic is only longer than the Emerald Night in the firebox area (so four studs), and would not really be feasible due to the same issues (and to keep the same general look and features).

I pretty much completed my 2-6-4. I thoroughly enjoyed this build since it was much different than what I normally do. As with anything, any constructive comments and critique is always welcome.

25586631005_fbc0737651_c.jpg

I pretty much completed my 2-6-4. I thoroughly enjoyed this build since it was much different than what I normally do. As with anything, any constructive comments and critique is always welcome.

25586631005_fbc0737651_c.jpg

Is it possible to see a 2-8-4 set up in a similar manner? That would be sweet! And can you please update these locomotives and their LXF files on MOC-Pages?

Is it possible to see a 2-8-4 set up in a similar manner? That would be sweet! And can you please update these locomotives and their LXF files on MOC-Pages?

A 2-8-4 of this would not be hard to do since you would just have to extend the boiler and lower frame by about 4 studs. I will upload all of my recent work onto MOCpages eventually.

After branching out with the 2-6-4 from my normal steam locomotive designs of Emerald Night variations, I decided to make a steam locomotive that focuses more on the greebles around the driving wheels. For that I turned to Duq's BR 55 locomotive (https://www.flickr.com/photos/duq/sets/72157633633010873), which they so graciously provided some "how it was done" pictures.

25597696852_5d6b98ea6f_c.jpg

it looks cool! But I think the double chimney is kinda weird. It would be better just to have one or to build a sleek housing around it like the how LNER did with the Flying Scotsman.

it looks cool! But I think the double chimney is kinda weird. It would be better just to have one or to build a sleek housing around it like the how LNER did with the Flying Scotsman.

Thank you for the feedback! I went with the double smokestack for several reasons, the primary reason being is that it does look odd and I wanted to include that in this custom build. The second being that since this is designed more for freight hauling (since it does have two XL-Motors) having a second smokestack shows that it has to have that extra release for the amount of pressure and power this produces.

Here is some more work on the 0-8-0. While I am using Duq's BR 55 as a base for the frame I will be doing my own custom work for the boiler, cab, and tender.

25110003393_f408b970d6_c.jpg

I'll be following this project ;-) Shouldn't the 0-8-0 (or 'D' as I'd call it) have its own thread?

Hadn't seen the earlier part of this yet. Looks like you got the naming the wrong way around... The Emerald bit refers to the green colour (as in the Emerald Isle where I live) so your Emerald Baltic and Emerald Northern should be Baltic Night and Northern Night...

Either way, they're impressive engines!

I'll be following this project ;-) Shouldn't the 0-8-0 (or 'D' as I'd call it) have its own thread?

Hadn't seen the earlier part of this yet. Looks like you got the naming the wrong way around... The Emerald bit refers to the green colour (as in the Emerald Isle where I live) so your Emerald Baltic and Emerald Northern should be Baltic Night and Northern Night...

Either way, they're impressive engines!

This thread did start out by being just about my Emerald Night variations, but then it just became my overall WIP/MOC thread. I tried naming the locomotives differently, but I did not like it since it did not tie them back to the original class that they were based upon.

I have done some more work with various locomotives, so here is an update.

2-6-4

25781317070_b64d1b196d_c.jpg

I redesigned the tender on the 2-6-4 to have better access to the batteries so that they could be removed without having to take the entire battery box out. The AA battery box is integrated into the tender's structure so I had to be creative with the construction.

0-6-0

26028259306_1efcf67b46_c.jpg

After the L-Motor was released in LDD I had to see how it integrated into designs that used a pieced together L-Motor. The 0-6-0 had to be modified slightly to make room for it, with the main difference being the raising of the rear end of the boiler by one plate. Nick Jackson has assured me that in real bricks the raising of the IR Receiver by one plate is not necessary.

0-8-0

26028258486_6cfceb27c3_c.jpg

This side view of the 0-8-0 shows how I am working with empty space under the boiler and between the frame to make a more realistic locomotive. While I am using pictures as inspiration, I am adding my own touch to everything.

Very nice work! It looks like the real thing! The greatest thing of all, though, is that you are adding your touch to everything!

Have you consider building it for real? If you try, you will be able to resolve all of your queries!

Very nice work! It looks like the real thing! The greatest thing of all, though, is that you are adding your touch to everything!

Have you consider building it for real? If you try, you will be able to resolve all of your queries!

Unfortunately Naco Enterprises is awaiting funds to be released for the production of many products and end items by customer organizations. By that I mean that I am still trying to convince my wife to let me order parts for lots of my MOCs.

This is a great feat of engineering! Super awesome! Could you show the motor and drive mechanism in more detail?

This is a great feat of engineering! Super awesome! Could you show the motor and drive mechanism in more detail?

For which locomotive?

For which locomotive?

The emerald mountain. Do you have a separate file that shows only the mechanism? It's OK if you don't, I was just wondering.

Unfortunately Naco Enterprises is awaiting funds to be released for the production of many products and end items by customer organizations. By that I mean that I am still trying to convince my wife to let me order parts for lots of my MOCs.

I understand... Tough work... Maybe you could buy a present to your self on a special day... Either way, you should be optimistic, and keep up the good work!

The emerald mountain. Do you have a separate file that shows only the mechanism? It's OK if you don't, I was just wondering.

As requested:

26226022416_18353eb3a7_c.jpg