TF Twitch

[MOC] Emerald Night class locomotives

What makes this my best one yet? I am curious about the details.

It's just looks good.... I can't seem to describe it. I rode behind the 4-8-2 Frisco 1522 (in one of the coaches) on one of it's last runs before being put away in 2002... it hasn't been fired up since (the coaches and extra tender were sold) and I've always wanted to build one in LEGO... in fact, right now you inspired me to remake my Texas type back into Berkshire, though I did want to build a Mountain originally. (It just didn't pan out.)

While some of these next pictures may not be of the Emerald Night class of locomotives (or its derivatives), I did not feel that it was necessary to create a new thread. Here are some additions to Nacho Enterprises Railway System (NERS):

0-4-0T Shunter

22515973128_d351c1aee7_b.jpg

This particular 0-4-0T shunter with saddle tanks was reverse-engineered from the expanded view of Canvas Rails' own 0-4-0T (https://www.flickr.c...3/in/dateposted) in just a few hours. Nacho Enterprises Railway System (NERS) felt that it would need a good shunter for its own rail yards.

0-4-2

22311549234_fa43a99c06_c.jpg

This 0-4-2 is a concept developed by Nacho Enterprises Railway System (NERS) and has not seen actual production. The driving wheels are powered by a PF Train Motor. The tender (dubbed a Slug Tender) has a floating axle.

0-6-0

22908286726_f39ee6dd00_c.jpg

This particular 0-6-0 is almost an exact replica as the one made by Nick Jackson (a.k.a. M_slug357: https://www.flickr.c...os/94581721@N06). The differences are that the frame and locomotive now have a more secure frame (some pieces in the original LDD file did not line up correctly) and the tender (now dubbed a Slug Tender) has been raised by one plate to allow for a floating middle axle. The 0-6-0 is used primarily for freight of all load types, but with smaller train cars and train length compared to the 4-8-2 Emerald Mountain (which is used for heavy drag freight).

Both the Emerald Night and Emerald Baltic class of locomotives have received longer tenders to better suit them and to be more in scale with the locomotives themselves.

22313118543_2ef0b2ff61_c.jpg

22515971728_36ab0d9a0b_c.jpg

Emerald Night Sleeper Car

22920852062_88c123fb65_c.jpg

22934259025_e06d949e2e_c.jpg

The proposed and finalized version of the sleeper car for the Emerald Night class (and derivative classes) passenger trains.

Small Passenger Car

22908284396_320fbc79f8_c.jpg

22908284826_80e415134b_c.jpg

22313117843_d655668eea_c.jpg

The small passenger car is a proposed design by Nacho Enterprises Railway System (NERS) as a concept to test the floating middle axle. None have been produced, but they are available should consumers wish them. The small dining car's interior is the third picture. These were created by basically cutting the Emerald Night coach in half.

22908283766_5eb5d2f5b6_c.jpg

The 0-4-2 is shown here with a small rake of two passenger cars and one dining car on the end.

Edited by TF Twitch

Here are two small and minor updates, one each for the Emerald Norther and the Emerald Mountain.

Emerald Northern

22977984145_33bf939379_c.jpg

The Emerald Northern class received a new streamlined smokebox with the "passenger/express" streamlining package, along with new smoke deflectors.

Emerald Mountain

22989098051_571f4769b9_c.jpg

The Emerald Mountain received a small super heater on the top of the front of the boiler's smokebox.

Edited by TF Twitch

I have done some work to my 4-4-0 "Humble Sapphire" locomotive. The largest changes were adding a 5-wide section to the rear of the boiler (just in front of the cab) and a new tender. I would like to ask the community which tender version they think looks better.

Original Humble Sapphire

16001303645_2c3a9b05d0_c.jpg

New Locomotive with Tender

22663798757_ef26c80b7a_c.jpg

22459371784_c402b41549_c.jpg

22663768198_db1083eda3_c.jpg

I personally like the newer version. The size is more prototypical for the mid-1800's... though the three wheel design might not be. You could use two bogies or a two wheel design instead, right?

I personally like the newer version. The size is more prototypical for the mid-1800's... though the three wheel design might not be. You could use two bogies or a two wheel design instead, right?

I did see some pictures on the intrawebs that show a three-axled tender on 4-4-0 locomotives, although you are correct that the two bogie design is more common. The new design does feature a floating middle axle, which will help it out with turns. I may redesign the dual two-axle bogies so that they are smaller than the original tender bogies.

I like the newer version's tender too, but I'd have to say that I agree with Murdoch that the 2 bogie version seems more appropriate to the model as a whole. The one element I miss the most from the first version's tender is the l.gray 2x12 section on the sides.

I like the newer version's tender too, but I'd have to say that I agree with Murdoch that the 2 bogie version seems more appropriate to the model as a whole. The one element I miss the most from the first version's tender is the l.gray 2x12 section on the sides.

I will upload newer pictures later that have the new two-axle bogies. I did not include the gray sections on the side since I wanted to decrease the tender's size both in height and width. Originally a sticker that says "Humble Sapphire" would go on that gray area, but now it will be gold letters on the blue side.

Here are a few more of my MOCs, some of the Emerald Night design and some others.

2-8-2 Emerald Mikado

23368126041_e9e7e2edf6_c.jpg

23154833590_09a52730a1_c.jpg

I messed around with an Emerald Mikado a long time ago, but I did not like how it came out. I decide to have another go at it, and this is the result. I used the 4-8-2 Emerald Mountain as a base and shortened the locomotive section by 2 studs. The Vanderbilt tender was made mainly from scratch, and the entire length is actually a tad longer than my 4-8-4 Emerald Northern.

Arctic Swift

22822291924_5487a09ee5_c.jpg

23082659369_ff1ecde1d6_c.jpg

I wanted to make a Christmas Train, and I wanted to use a bland freight-type locomotive to head the train, just to break the norm. I created the Mikado first, then the train cars. The back three passenger cars are recolored Emerald Night coaches.

Arctic Swift headed by Emerald Mountain

23154832600_7c41f40b3d_c.jpg

Just for fun I wanted to see what the Emerald Mountain would look heading the Arctic Swift.

New 4-4-0 Humble Sapphire Tender

23154834550_5c1c40cf41_c.jpg

23424485976_2db44723ba_c.jpg

As suggested by others (mainly Murdoch17), I redid the wheels of the tender. The bogies are of a standard setup, and are each one stud shorter than the original tender bogies. While it does not have the added detail, it still works as intended. Also shown are two old west-styled passenger cars. I would have to do a practice run with the locomotive to see how much it can actually and reliably pull, seeing as how the train motor drives the locomotive's driving wheels.

Edited by TF Twitch

4-6-2 Emerald Night (Improved)

23411777242_ede41029a7_c.jpg

Here is another upgraded version of the Emerald Night locomotive. Originally I set about to shove two L-Motors inside of the boiler, similar to the other Emerald Night-style locomotives that I have done. I found, however, that due to the shorter boiler of the Emerald Night that routing the wires from the front lights would be an issue, so I downgraded the motors to two M-Motors. The other tender that I designed was built in 7-wide and housed the AA Battery Box, but the tender looked to bland and square. The solution was to take the tender from the Emerald Northern and change it to dark green. Overall I like the new appearance.

While the changes are small the impact is large, that looks a lot better than the stock EN

4-6-2 Emerald Night (Improved)

23411777242_ede41029a7_c.jpg

Here is another upgraded version of the Emerald Night locomotive.

The Emerald Mikado is fine looking! Well done.

And that Vanderbuilt tender. Yeah buddy! My closest heritage railroad, the Heber Valley has a 2-8-0 with a Vanderbuilt tender, and I can tell your MOC is a spot on representation.

Edited by xboxtravis7992

While the changes are small the impact is large, that looks a lot better than the stock EN

Thank you! The Emerald Night really got me out of my dark ages in 2011, so it will always have a special place in my heart. It is because of that reason that I have always sought to improve upon the original, and it is always an organic process that may never be finished, as seen by this particular thread.

The Emerald Mikado is fine looking! Well done.

And that Vanderbuilt tender. Yeah buddy! My closest heritage railroad, the Heber Valley has a 2-8-0 with a Vanderbuilt tender, and I can tell your MOC is a spot on representation.

Since my first (failed) attempt at an Emerald Mikado many years ago I have picked up a few techniques that really shone through here and made this one very unique to me. Thank you for the high praise!

Really like the Mikado and the Christmas train! Can you provide some closer shots of the Christmas wagons?

The back three wagons are the standard Emerald Night coach with swapped colors. I did alter the end of the last coach to be more of an end car, but it was a really easy mod. I will be sure to post pictures of the different train cars soon. The flatbed that has the trees was just a straight copy from the last 9V Holiday/Christmas train.

And now, on to the next MOC/WIP:

2-6-4 Tender Locomotive

23666141216_3f2598eeee_c.jpg

This WIP is quite different from my standard steam locomotives in multiple ways. The first is that it is obviously not an Emerald Night derivative. It is not based on any one locomotive in particular. This is me using some of my know-how to build a more realistic locomotive that features two XL-Motors in the boiler.

The techniques used have been used in a plethora of other builds by a lot of other builders, so I cannot really cite any one or two builders as inspiration; this is just a culmination of various techniques that I have picked up on. The pistons and driving rods are more realistic than the standard Emerald Night design that I use, the pony and trailing trucks have more detail than my normal designs, and even the windows of the cab tilt inward.

I decided on the color scheme during the frame's build. I did not know initially if I was designing a freight, passenger, or mixed traffic locomotive, so I decided to design one that was neutral, and this color scheme works well for that. The tender is still being worked on, but will feature two IR Receivers and the larger AA Battery Box (compared to the smaller AAA Battery Box that I normally use).

The 2-6-4 is almost completed. The tender is a whole object, but I still want to add some details to it. It houses the larger AA Battery Box, two IR Receivers, and some lights in the rear. Any suggestions are welcome!

23805816881_587ddc92b1_c.jpg

23888305025_d424542c4f_c.jpg

23805815921_8df2306672_c.jpg

Edited by TF Twitch

why on earth 2 recievers?

I went for two receivers since there are two XL-Motors in the locomotive. This way there will not be too much strain on either receiver, especially since there are three sets of lights being used.

The lights got near zero Ampers consumption. You can ignore them. With XL motors and IR receivers you're right...

Max

Edited by MaxSupercars

Here are some pictures showing the AA Battery Box inside of the tender. The tender features removable sides so the batteries can be easily changed out.

23624404500_daa9703522_b.jpg

23624404290_5a0c8a4c3d_c.jpg

I have done some more work to the 2-6-4, which may or may not be the final version of this locomotive. I redesigned the sides of the tender and added some greebles to the locomotive. Individually the new changes are subtle, but overall they make a noticeable difference.

23895009311_52f2b2a302_c.jpg

I went for two receivers since there are two XL-Motors in the locomotive. This way there will not be too much strain on either receiver, especially since there are three sets of lights being used.

I have a couple of locomotives with PF LiPo, IR receiver, and two XL's on a single output channel and have never had problems (and that is pulling trains long enough that they want to pull off the track in the curves). You might want to give it a try with a single IR receiver first to see if it works. In any event the progress is looking good.

I have a couple of locomotives with PF LiPo, IR receiver, and two XL's on a single output channel and have never had problems (and that is pulling trains long enough that they want to pull off the track in the curves). You might want to give it a try with a single IR receiver first to see if it works. In any event the progress is looking good.

I appreciate the feedback. Which of your locomotives run that setup? Also, would you please provide links to them so that I can further take a look at that particular setup?