Today, I decided to bang out something quick, and simple, to take my mind of of a couple of other projects I've stalled out on.

It is a replica of the Overland Train, which was built by LeTourneau for the U.S. Army in the 1960's. The vehicle was 570 feet long, and could carry 150 tons of cargo over most any terrain. Sadly, the Army thought that newly developed, at the time, heavy lift helicopters made the concept outdated. And, in 1969, the vehicle was scrapped. However, the cab/tractor section still remains, as a display at Yuma Proving Grounds in Arizona.

Wikipedia article on this vehicle and other similar machines: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overland_train

My model is actually not a straightforward replica, and is far more primitive than the real vehicle.

16523625309_6431b788db_z.jpgOverland Train Concept by Saberwing007, on Flickr

The only way to actually get a good view of the entire vehicle was to arrange it in a circle, as the real machine was arranged at least once. One thing my version does not have is steering on the trailers, which makes maneuvering a massive pain. The tractor is also tremendously slow, which makes driving it an even bigger pain. In addition, one of the gears in the drivetrain rubbed against some supports, making weird noises. In all, it was more to see what it would look like than to be an actual workable vehicle.

16087350254_8c5453676d_z.jpgTrailer Details by Saberwing007, on Flickr

As explained earlier, the trailers are very primitive, and identical, with only the colors and the wheels being different.

16708622772_fce3871ab3_z.jpgTractor by Saberwing007, on Flickr

The tractor, with some minifgs for scale. Going by this, I could in theory make it in minifig scale.

All in all, it was meant to be a quick project, and it shows. Ah well, I hope this is of interest to someone...

Parting shot:

16090612063_211b3256a7_z.jpgWall of Wheels by Saberwing007, on Flickr

Edited by Saberwing40k

Nice idea. Kind of makes me want to built one. I'd do it small-scale though, with 62.5 wheels or similar; I've built big stuff, and the fun quickly goes out the project :wink:

Hmm, power every axle? :innocent:

A project I planned to start is a studless diesel electric engine using the motorcycle tires for wheels.

Yes, I realize it would be huge