Murdoch17

Nexus Force - real life LEGO Universe-inspired builds (modular moon base , space ships, and land vehicles)

These are builds inspired by or taken from the first MMO made for Lego: LEGO Universe. (or LU, as it was affectionately known)

52215736248_465cd22475_z.jpg

Here is my space base...

52215725336_c9056b2a44_z.jpg

...the space vehicles, and below is the history + the LU story post-2010:

This game had very few real world items in sets, but two things did come out:

2853944-1.jpg?1

First, an astronaut for people who pre-ordered the game in 2010...

55001-1.jpg?1

and then a rocket that was modular in the style of the game (Nose + Cockpit + Engine) and was released in a LEGO Club event to build your own rocket. (both pictures from Brick Link)

The game lasted barely past it's first birthday (October 2010 was when it started), with the plug being pulled on February 1st 12:01 AM 2012.

As a testament to the game I played and loved, I built some models that continue the story past 2012 and beyond the current day. Here are those builds:

52264878348_b636ace55f_z.jpg

- 16 soldier figures
- 1 orange mini-fig robot (from Galaxy Squad)
- 1 train engineer (in brown)
- 2 scientists (in blue jackets)
- 1 Bob (lab coat with white boots)
- 2 astromech droids

32536449708_16d788b47b_z.jpg

The NIFT-E robot was designed in 2015 to compliment the thousands of Sentry (set 4416) series robots produced in 2006 by the X-POD corporation for the original Nexus Force founders. Thirty-four of these newer robots were produced in 2018 as a test batch, called the Nexus Iron Friendly Teammate - Engineer class (NIFT-E) for use as spaceship ground-crew and heavy engineering duties, including fueling and heavy duty maintenance, computer updating, and guiding ships into landing zones. They are used alongside human counterparts who work on the harder to reach areas of a ship's engine, and on life support systems. Each human master mechanic (of which every base has at least two or three of them, plus several apprentices) is assigned an NIFT-E counterpart, in which they are equal partners working towards the same goal: keeping the ships flying, the base humming with life, and repair bay as empty as possible in case of emergencies.
16704492541_73cef48c75_o.jpg

I copied this back in 2012 from a desktop download from the old LEGO Universe game. It was carefully cut out and switched to gray scale to save ink. It is the logo of the Nexus Force.

16770405175_3213d63503_o.jpg

Due to the Nexus Force logo not being found anywhere but a expensive mini-figure torso from a limited edition polybag, I have decided to change the logo to something different. This new logo is seen in the 2014 CITY Arctic sets. I figure this is my in-universe explanation of the logo change:

50966025618_dcaee24063_z.jpg

This moon base-like space base model was inspired by set 60036 (Arctic Base Camp), with a rooftop shield generator partially lifted from set 75098 (Assault on Hoth) and a sensor array inspired by set 76157 (Wonder Woman VS. Cheetah) The base consists of eight separate, interchangeable, modular sections, all of which have opening roof / wall sections for ease of access. These sections include (but are not limited too): a common bunk room, a spaceship control tower, a fusion generator, communications room, break room, and several more. As you can see, I joined the base to the rail-line with a short siding for freight deliveries, and for the servicing of steam locomotives on services such as the Moonlighter passenger train.

Fictional history of the base:

The Nexus force landed on an ice world named DY-17, (this was soon to be renamed Ice Station Destiny) in a bit of desperation, as the Maelstrom had damaged their escape cruiser, the Bright Hope, to the point of near hyper-drive core failure. The ships sensors located no technology on the surface, and not many life forms, but a lot of geothermal activity in the form of large heat/steam vents from the core to the surface, which could be used for emergency power. The ship landed, and soon the base camp for the crew of the Bright Hope was set up. It was then discovered the planet had many mineral deposits that happen to be compatible with the metal in the Hyper-drive cooling system. So, the minerals began to be mined, and pretty soon the crew had a good operation going that was almost self-sufficient and very eco-friendly. A vote was taken, and the crew chose to stay on the ice world they re-named Ice Station Destiny, as the planet had supplied all of their wants and needs. The logo was repainted to show the original Nexus logo as a distant star, signifying the journey taken by the Bright Hope to their new home world, which was symbolized by the ice-covered world on the logo. The Bright Hope and crew were eventually discovered two years after their landing on Ice Station Destiny by the Norstas of the nearby world of Beta Polaris. Bob formed a friendship with this like-minded race, which eventually became an Alliance between the two forces, and the rest is history

50072163372_c8f90bf040_z.jpg

Common bunk room, as everyone on the base sleeps in shifts in these bunks.

50071914126_41c2c4f381.jpg

This corner hall module also leads outside via a back door. (not visible here)

50071351808_1d84f0b626_z.jpg

The beating Nuclear heart of the base. It is powered by cold fusion, and is situated at the center of the base, under the radio communications antenna.

50072163367_a4640f83d5_z.jpg

This deep-space communications room is where every listening post the Nexus Force has comes to bear it's potentially deadly load. What are they listening for? No, it's not the latest M-TRON corporate gossip or Blacktron III secret battle plans. It's whether the Maelstrom has figured out how to invade our universe from the old pocket dimension they have been sealed away in. This ultra top secret project has listening posts attached to an uninhibited asteroid or comet in almost every known sector of inhabited space. They plan on finding out where and when the Maelstrom ever invade (if they ever do) and planning a counterattack with all available forces before they can even fully emerge through the rip in space-time.

50071351823_a28f0fd9e3_z.jpg

The fusion reactor's control room.

50072163417_19eea5dfe3_z.jpg

This module leads outside to the base's elevated landing pad. Upstairs is the flight control tower.

50071351883_ff756abc58_z.jpg

This tower makes landing large spacecraft easier, and helps keep an eye out for unwanted guests. It sits on top of the previous module.

50072163437_56433e2df1_z.jpg

These computers analyze rock samples looking for fuel traces to be mined.

50071351863_d1a8d69de5_z.jpg

The break room is mostly taken from set 60036, with the addition of the Death Star plans. (Why not?)

50062986066_b0ff6b82de_z.jpg

The radio array on top of the nuclear reactor.

SPACE VEHICLES

46742423292_463a48821c_z.jpg

This ship was originally set 70816, Benny's spaceship (x3), with the Unkiitty seat and radar dish removed in favor of a skylight and laser gun turret instead. The sliding wings were redesigned to be stationary and thus provide space under the turret for commander Bob. The ship also has separate passageways for crew to walk so they don't have to go outside to go to Bob, engineering, or the bridge. More recently, I combined the ship with a more elongated nose taken from the 2015 DC Comics set 76028 (Darksied Invasion).

I was inspired to build this model by this cool ship by Oran Cruzen over on MOCpages. (RIP)

46742423312_99de5ef4b8_z.jpg

The ship has three areas for up to eight crew to be placed, with passageways for the figures to "walk" from section to section.

39829716383_4c89d9ccfb_z.jpg

The rear of the ship has three engines and a rotating, elevating laser turret above.

23864417512_841f2786fd_z.jpg

This rocket was originally poly-bag number 55001 from the failed 2010 MMO Lego Universe. Just like in the game, it can split into three modular parts connected by Technic axles. These sections are the following:

-Nose-Cone
-Cockpit
-Engine

23946576246_56f8b5bef9_z.jpg

The rockets can be dissembled into the three component sections and are interchangeable with each other, and with about 15+ other rockets available in LDD form from the Lego Universe Wiki. Also, the completed rockets can seat 1 mini-figure each.

52063785061_d331e83dbd_z.jpg

The LEGO snow speeder design from Episode V (The Empire Strikes Back) of Star Wars fame has been using basically the same design for almost two decades (since 2004's set 4500, actually) and I have appropriated it for my LEGO Universe space fleet.  Yes, I removed the gunners seat and added a new rear cockpit canopy, but it's the same basic overall design. (Ok, so I also placed fins on it from the EU Sandspeeder variant for added flair.) These two have replaced my original Nexus Force fighters from six years ago. (2016!)

52064380936_2a68561a68_z.jpg

There is room inside each cockpit for a single figure. (Please note: The main cockpit canopies have the wrong "look" due to a mix-up. I want to order replacement ones without any printing soon.)

52064610229_c15da457f7_z.jpg

Rear view showcasing the Speed Champions windscreen at the rear when the gunners seat / harpoon gun was. I am going to put a R2 droid head in behind the pilot for hyper-space navigation, but am as-yet unable to locate where I placed them in my collection. (I know I have some extra I just can't find them!)

LAND VEHICLES

52069151636_796949f90e_z.jpg

This revamped model is one mean-looking space-driving machine! Partially inspired by Lola the car from the TV show Agents of Shield, (although this one doesn't fly) this is Bob's ultimate ride.

52069163528_0b07db27ae_z.jpg

It still seats one figure, although it now features a roof overhead for weather protection. The doors also open.

52069151621_a2da28ee3e_z.jpg

..and it even has room for taillights! (no exhaust pipe needed, this thing runs on clean fusion.)

23345878713_30fe5ba810_z.jpg

This model is a slightly modified version of set 60033, Arctic Ice Crawler that I call the Mobile Ice Driller . Whereas the original set has a crane hook, this one has a much more useful drill bit.

23864417442_9e8dc116ee_z.jpg

The drill is used for mining energy crystals embedded deep within the ice of the frozen world on which the Neo Nexus Force is stationed.

23345878973_46caf3a90f_z.jpg

This is a very slightly modified version of set 60035: Arctic Outpost. All I really did to this one was add the symbol to the front fender.

23344454234_4e5427d396_z.jpg

The inside of the mobile outpost is a lab, complete with Bunsen burner and microscope with crystal sample. It seems the computer hanging from the ceiling bar is off right now, as the scientist is out collecting more samples that were dug out with the Mobile Ice Drill.

23890149251_d18d91cb32_z.jpg

The rear of the model is pretty sparse in details, and as such, their isn't much to say about it.

23344454424_7299049891_z.jpg

The snow speeder you see here is a simple vehicle to aid in fetching luggage and equipment across the base. It is armed with a flare gun and a radio. These come in mighty handy when the sun sets and temperatures plummet to well below minus 125 Fahrenheit!

FINAL THOUGHTS

Well, that's all I've built so far, but that's not the end of the story or the models. Scott Bourgeois from MOCpages has made some pretty awesome stuff related to the Neo Nexus Force, their first allies, the peaceful Norstas (from the planet Beta Polaris in orbit of the the North Star) and the common enemy, the Xantukans. (inspired by the snake cultists from Ninjago) These were visible on MOCpages, but are now long gone.

EDITED 8/1/22: added pictures of the base as it was in July. (first two pics)

Any thoughts / ideas / complaints would be appreciated!

Edited by Murdoch17

I loved LU! Great work on these models.

Edit I rendered the bright hope for fun. 800x640.jpg

Edited by Umbra-Manis

I loved LU! Great work on these models.

Edit I rendered the bright hope for fun.

--SNIP--

Thank you for the awesome render! I loved LU so much I was the first on in my family to play it in October 2010, and the last to log out around 8:30 January 31, 2012. I even got to the Frostburg seasonal location and obtained a reindeer... I was the only one in my family to go there (I was the only one playing at that time!), and I even got the toy train race car.... I just wish I had made more screenshots.

Excellent work! I love the colorscheme :thumbup:

Thank you! If you liked that, you'll love this:

16522065548_3657b5d81c_z.jpg

It's the Nexus Force's resupply and repair encampment, Ice Station Destiny, with the Bright Hope on a landing pad and tow fighters ready for launch. Please see the updated first post for more information!

Edited by Murdoch17

I've been thinking over my Nexus Force fleet, and decided to find a new fighter to replace my tiny official rocket. So I went model searching on Bricklink and stumbled upon the Ghost of LDD Versions Past. In case you are wonder what the heck I'm talking about, here's the answer: set 10191, Star Justice from 2008's Factory line (link: http://www.bricklink...m.asp?S=10191-1 ), was the original model that inspired this ship.

16582544418_0397e25f56_z.jpg

More information and the LDD file has been added to the first post.

Also, due to the Nexus Force logo not being found anywhere but a expensive mini-figure torso from a limited edition polybag, I have decided to change the logo to something different. This new logo is seen in the 2014 CITY Arctic sets (photo from Bricklink).

I figure this is my in-universe explanation of the logo change:

The Nexus force landed on an ice world named DY-17, (this was soon to be renamed Ice Station Destiny) in a bit of desperation, as the Maelstrom had damaged their escape cruiser, the Bright Hope, to the point of near hyper-drive core failure. The ships sensors located no technology on the surface, and not many life forms, but a lot of geothermal activity in the form of large heat/steam vents from the core to the surface, which could be used for emergency power. The ship landed, and soon the base camp for the crew of the Bright Hope was set up. It was then discovered the planet had many mineral deposits that happen to be compatible with the metal in the Hyper-drive cooling system. So, the minerals began to be mined, and pretty soon the crew had a good operation going that was almost self-sufficient and very eco-friendly. A vote was taken, and the crew chose to stay on the ice world they re-named Ice Station Destiny, as the planet had supplied all of their wants and needs. The logo was repainted to show the original Nexus logo as a distant star, signifying the journey taken by the Bright Hope to their new home world, which was symbolized by the ice-covered world on the logo. The Bright Hope and crew were eventually discovered two years after their landing on Ice Station Destiny by Benny-the-1980-something space guy and his Classic Space fleet. Benny formed a friendship with supreme Commander Bob of the Nexus Force and offered an Alliance between the two forces, and the rest is history.

Edited by Murdoch17

These are builds inspired by or taken from the first MMO made for Lego: LEGO Universe. This game had very few real world items in sets, but two things did come out:

...a astronaut for people who pre-ordered the game in 2010...

...and a rocket that was modular in the style of the game (Nose + Cockpit + Engine) and was released in a LEGO Club event to build your own rocket. (both pictures from Brick Link)

:sweet: Hah, just today I ordered both sets, still sealed, from BL of course...so thanx for the inspiration (as I said elsewhere in the forum I have all LEGO Space sets but still from time to time I found some new elements actually belonging to a Space theme that I missed somehow previously, like in fact the Rock Riders and now this two :thumbup: )

:sweet: Hah, just today I ordered both sets, still sealed, from BL of course...so thanx for the inspiration (as I said elsewhere in the forum I have all LEGO Space sets but still from time to time I found some new elements actually belonging to a Space theme that I missed somehow previously, like in fact the Rock Riders and now this two :thumbup: )

You are welcome. I hope you didn't pay a ton of money for it, as they are getting quite expensive on BrickLink, but In my opinion it's well worth it. I'm planing on using these torsos for pilots ( http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=973pb1683c01 ):

973pb1683c01.jpg?1

along with this headgear in orange ( http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=87781 ):

87781.jpg?1

and plain orange pants.

Also, I will use the Galaxy Squad orange robot head ( http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=11589pb01 ) for a droid:

11589pb01.jpg?1

These will replace my original LU astronaut.

You are welcome. I hope you didn't pay a ton of money for it, as they are getting quite expensive on BrickLink, but In my opinion it's well worth it. I'm planing on using these torsos for pilots ( http://www.bricklink...?P=973pb1683c01 ):

Not quite much expensive: cca. 17€ + 8€ + 5€ insured shipping, ordered from Germany BL shop... :wink:

Not quite much expensive: cca. 17€ + 8€ + 5€ insured shipping, ordered from Germany BL shop... :wink:

Yeah, but I can only buy from the USA. Anyway, the ship should be finished soon, as the bulk of the Bright Hope is here but 43 crucial pieces are not. I will update this thread when it's finished.

I have to note as well, the awesome Neo Nexus Force sister-ship built over on MOCpages: http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/408646 It is the Shinning Star and was built by Scott Bourgeois, a good friend of mine and a prolific space builder.

The first post is updated with new info, and new pictures of the Bright Hope in real life, among other stuff, such as the logo picture (courtesy of Scott Bourgeois from MOCpages. Thanks Scott!)

Comments, Questions, & Complaints welcome!

Time for an update!

The Retro Rocket

19211835693_e637d31b1c_z.jpg

I removed the original cockpit from this LEGO Universe rocket, and replaced it with the one from the rare Nexus Force rocket poly-bag, number 55001. I then ordered two of the newly created rockets from Bricklink a couple of days ago, where it cost me around $13 US, S&H not included. That's about half what the original set 55001 is even selling for on Bricklink! Now the Astronaut, that's another matter altogether...

19837615491_95cdb443ae_z.jpg

This rocket splits into three modular parts connected by Technic axles:

-Nose Cone

-Cockpit

-Engine

LDD file: http://www.mocpages....1437328544m.lxf

Bob's car (version 2)

19644724328_a361e77631_z.jpg

Since I revamped Benny the 1980-something space guy's car, I have been looking for a way to redo Bob's car. While searching for a way to make it look better, I remembered set 76004, (Spider Man: Spider Cycle chase) which provided inspiration to make the car bigger. After several attempts, I finally got it to an acceptable level of perfection... except for the front grille. (something still looks slightly off there!) Also, Bob is included in the LDD file!

19806565586_32a045d6ae_z.jpg

Anyway, the car can seat one figure and is supposed to have this print on the 2x2 slope situated on the trunk: http://www.bricklink...sp?P=15068pb004

19243818504_f409be5510_z.jpg

The car also now has hover mode!

LDD file: http://www.mocpages....1437422963m.lxf

The first post has been updated.

Edited by Murdoch17

I updated the first post. It now includes pictures of my completed Retro rockets and unfinished Ice Station Odyssey.

20672230892_a62b610206_z.jpg

You can see more pictures such as this in the first post!

20034427133_558eed5a28_z.jpg

Also, please check out my micro scale space station / weapons platform at this topic here: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=113534

Edited by Murdoch17

Added the personnel picture to the first post.

20702134672_bc126d898a_z.jpg

The Neo-Nexus Force, pilots, droids, and officers.

Front row (right to left) Supreme Commander Bob, Ambassador to alien forces (specifically the Norstas) Johnny B. Goode

Second row: veteran flight officer Casey Jones, chief medical officer Maxwell "Hammer" Edison, "Robbie" the robot helper

Third row: Captain Cecelia Robinson, Major Tom (last name unknown), Sgt. Billy "Pepper" Shears, pilot Harry "Taxi" Chappin, Jethro "Aqualung" Tull.

I love that people are keeping this game alive in their hearts. I think it was wonderful, and I dearly wish it had gone on longer.

I got the official astronaut minifigure when I preordered the game, and then they started giving away the rocket instead for people who got it later. However, they also sold the rocket polybag in at least some of the stores, and I bought two on a trip to the Dallas / Fort Worth area in November of 2010; I now wish I'd gotten a few more.

A bit later I saw them giving out the astronaut polybags with purchases of a certain size (that I wasn't able to make at the time, alas) at the Downtown Disney LEGO Store in Orlando. Though I wasn't able to get any more of them in the original polybags, though, they also had the astronaut elements in the Build-a-Minifigure kiosk, so I was able to get a couple more that way (though again, I wish I'd gotten a lot more).

I love that people are keeping this game alive in their hearts. I think it was wonderful, and I dearly wish it had gone on longer.

I got the official astronaut minifigure when I preordered the game, and then they started giving away the rocket instead for people who got it later. However, they also sold the rocket polybag in at least some of the stores, and I bought two on a trip to the Dallas / Fort Worth area in November of 2010; I now wish I'd gotten a few more.

A bit later I saw them giving out the astronaut polybags with purchases of a certain size (that I wasn't able to make at the time, alas) at the Downtown Disney LEGO Store in Orlando. Though I wasn't able to get any more of them in the original polybags, though, they also had the astronaut elements in the Build-a-Minifigure kiosk, so I was able to get a couple more that way (though again, I wish I'd gotten a lot more).

Thank you, I just hope five, ten, maybe fifteen years from now people will still remember LU... as I certainly will. Maybe Lego will make orange astronauts / faction outfits - compatible with LU. The Galaxy Squad sets were good, but we need more faction stuff, like the Agents headpiece can be used for summoners: http://alpha.bricklink.com/pages/clone/catalogitem.page?P=19023c01#T=C&C=1

Update time!

21903461474_8877615b84_z.jpg

I couldn't wait any longer to post this: Bob's car is done, but the pieces for the updated Bright Hope haven't arrived yet.

21499833513_3629e76911_z.jpg

The updated engines for the Bright Hope should be here tomorrow, while the base's landing pad hasn't been ordered yet.

While we wait for the last shipment to arrive, here is the LDD file for the updated Bright Hope: http://www.mocpages.com/user_images/80135/1444696694m.lxf

Ice Station Odyssey has been added to the first post!

22526441797_beef7f5314_z.jpg

(Sorry, no LDD file is available for the complete base.)

update time! The latest vehicles and an updated base have been added to the first post, which itself has been completely restructured.

23604808629_e12ca79606_z.jpg

If you want to see only the newest stuff, scroll right to where it says LAND VEHICLES as that is where the most recent models are located.

Enjoy!

This model was made for use with my Neo-Nexus Force stuff, and as such the wings should have this logo printed on the 2 x 2 curved slopes: http://alpha.brickli...68pb004#T=C&C=4 I will be getting two of these next month.

The LEGO snow speeder design from Episode V (The Empire Strikes Back) of Star Wars fame has been using the same design for over a decade (since 2003's set 4600, actually) and I think I may have created a new way of doing it. Yes, I removed the gunners seat / harpoon gun and added a astro-droid socket, but it's the same basic cockpit design and look is still present if it were 100% screen accurate.It shouldn't be that hard to remake the gunner's seat and remove the droid, if you wanted to.

26285700103_9126ec6f67_z.jpg

Anyway, the models features a newer cockpit canopy courtesy of the Speed Champions theme and a nose made out of part 6153b.

26285699963_fd1f6bd973_z.jpg

The roof of the canopy comes off to place the figure inside at the controls.

26285699763_cf0d1026f3_z.jpg

The ship features two engines and two laser cannons, plus a astro-droid fits where the gunner usually would go.

LDD file: http://www.moc-pages...1462716991m.lxf

Edited by Murdoch17

Okay, so two pictures were released for the new LEGO Batman film sets coming in early 2017. The Joker's low-rider model caught my attention, and I started to recreate it in LDD. I couldn't see the back, so I improvised and made a quite large rear trunk instead of the spare tire. (The model was revamped yesterday to have a spare tire on the trunk.) I eventually made it orange due to pieces I used only coming in that color. I then realized it would look really cool as Bob's car, as it already had the right color scheme and a spot for the logo on the hood. Thus, it officially became Bob's car.

28667262772_bed6344b82_z.jpg

Here is the front of the car, with it's large grille and logo on the hood. (this part: http://alpha.bricklink.com/pages/clone/catalogitem.page?P=15068pb004#T=C&C=4 )

28667262932_4574d8cfdb_z.jpg

Two mini-figures can sit side by side in the car's cabin, while the doors and trunk can open to access the inside. (The roof has been removed here, but it is not made to come off very easily.)

28695422301_ecbf54b87b_z.jpg

The rear of the car has the spare tire.

(This model is third in line on the to-buy list, after a certain dark green 4-8-2 steam loco and the space fighter ships that are earlier on this page.)

LDD file for the car and it's driver (Bob): http://www.moc-pages.com/user_images/80135/1470358572m.lxf

Nice update. The repurposed Arctic vehicles fit really well with the rest of the theme. :thumbup:

Sorry for the late reply, but thank you!

29530974616_f4ee71616d_z.jpg

First post has been updated with more builds, with most on the waiting list to be built! (including this sweet car)

I'm liking the work you're pouring into this! Bob would be so proud...

As a side note, have you ever considered printing your own stickers? Then, you could doctor up your new logo and have more flexibility on what shapes (i.e. windshields!) you could put the symbol on.

I'm liking the work you're pouring into this! Bob would be so proud...

As a side note, have you ever considered printing your own stickers? Then, you could doctor up your new logo and have more flexibility on what shapes (i.e. windshields!) you could put the symbol on.

Thanks! My Neo Nexus Force space base is due for an an upgrade soon:

29484731692_c63026c59b_z.jpg

The landing pads for the spaceships are newly expanded to handle larger vessels, plus light-poles have been added to aid in launching night missions.

I will update the main post again when the base is once again complete.