Sign in to follow this  
Joebot

New pictures of my Lego Town

Hey everyone,

I posted some new pictures of my Lego town, Fluxington. The new pictures show the harbor and surrounding areas. They can be found on my website under the "Fluxington" link. Check out the pictures of the baseball stadium and lighthouse while you're there!

For all you slavering fanboys waiting anxiously for the next chapter of our Lego superhero comic, The Unlikely Society (all three of you) ... hang in there. This next chapter is a special-effects filled, action-packed, blockbuster extravaganza, so it's taking a little longer. We've got five of the seven pages done, so we're getting there.

Thanks, and please let us know what you think!

-Joebot

www.unlikelysociety.com

Hey everyone,

I posted some new pictures of my Lego town, Fluxington. The new pictures show the harbor and surrounding areas. They can be found on my website under the "Fluxington" link. Check out the pictures of the baseball stadium and lighthouse while you're there!

For all you slavering fanboys waiting anxiously for the next chapter of our Lego superhero comic, The Unlikely Society (all three of you) ... hang in there. This next chapter is a special-effects filled, action-packed, blockbuster extravaganza, so it's taking a little longer. We've got five of the seven pages done, so we're getting there.

Thanks, and please let us know what you think!

-Joebot

www.unlikelysociety.com

hey, i like the way u built the Legoland Hotel on the current CITY raised baseplate. Very well built. Can we see a bigger pic of it? :-$

I *wub* *wub* *wub* your hotel. I would also like to see some wider shots of it, and actually all of your creations could use some wider shots to get a better feel of them. That hotel, though is just beautiful. The whole idea for harbor is just great. I really like how you used the racer tracks to cross the harbor! *wub* I have often wanted to build an airport like that but never thought of the racer tracks. :-$

I really love your comic too. I don't know if you read it in brickjournal, but I mentioned you guys as part of my inspiration for Fabuland Housewives.

BTW, are you ever going to complete the Pharoah Phil story? Or is that going to be answered in the new comics? Just curious :-$

Anyway, back to your town. I think you are also very successful in terms of how you have everything layed out. It is very smart and everything flows together nicely. I wish I had those skills. :-$

Great job! Thanks for sharing!

I *wub* *wub* *wub* your hotel. I would also like to see some wider shots of it, and actually all of your creations could use some wider shots to get a better feel of them. That hotel, though is just beautiful. The whole idea for harbor is just great. I really like how you used the racer tracks to cross the harbor! *wub* I have often wanted to build an airport like that but never thought of the racer tracks. :-$

Thanks very much! I'll take some more pictures of the hotel, and try to get those posted tonight. My original plan was to take detailed pictures of each section of the town, but that's proving to be time-consuming. I can quickly take some wider shots of the whole town in the meantime.

I really love your comic too. I don't know if you read it in brickjournal, but I mentioned you guys as part of my inspiration for Fabuland Housewives.

BTW, are you ever going to complete the Pharoah Phil story? Or is that going to be answered in the new comics? Just curious :-$

No, I hadn't read that in Brickjournal. That's awesome, thanks! As for Pharoah Phil ... I dunno. We may get back to him someday. We honestly got really bored with those old characters (except Hue Man, who needs his own spinoff comic someday). I just wish we could churn the comics out faster because I have so many ideas bouncing around in my head. The whole process seems to take forever. Plus stupid real life stuff gets in the way.

I just wish we could churn the comics out faster because I have so many ideas bouncing around in my head. The whole process seems to take forever. Plus stupid real life stuff gets in the way.

I know exactly how you feel my depressed robotic friend...

I *wub* *wub* *wub* your hotel. I would also like to see some wider shots of it, and actually all of your creations could use some wider shots to get a better feel of them. That hotel, though is just beautiful.

Okay, I posted a bunch of new pictures on our website. I added a couple of links at the bottom of the "Fluxington" page that show some overall pictures of my whole town, as well as a few more closeups of the hotel.

The town is always a little messy, mainly due to my seven-year-old son. So occasionally you'll see piles of Lego debris laying around. Just ignore those.

-Joebot

www.unlikelysociety.com

Okay, I posted a bunch of new pictures on our website. I added a couple of links at the bottom of the "Fluxington" page that show some overall pictures of my whole town, as well as a few more closeups of the hotel.

The town is always a little messy, mainly due to my seven-year-old son. So occasionally you'll see piles of Lego debris laying around. Just ignore those.

-Joebot

www.unlikelysociety.com

Thanks and great pictures *wub* *wub* *wub* It's so wonderful to see the whole layout. It's really smart and the hotel is a beaut! Exploring your town reminds me of buying the Idea books when I was a kid. I was always so excited when a new one came out, because it was made by the LEGO company and gave me ideas for MOCs! Much like Brickshelf today. But your town gives me that feeling of classic LEGO building but the designers have been given free reign to create a cool idea book. :'-) very nice...

Joebot,

I would like to say that your Town is one of the best I have seen, and I have seen many. You are able to recreate the magic of the lego catalogs very well. Many towns I have seen have too many pieces, too large buildings, just too great of scale that when you see the small details it isn't interesting. While big buildings are very cool and can work (your Stadium being an example), they can be distracting and ruin the feel of an MOC. You seem to have struck a perfect balance between using the great Lego Town sets AND making your own buildings or additions to buildings.

My favourite area is the area with the Coast Guard base and police station. I have the Coast Guard base from 1995 that you seem to have based the main Coast Guard Building off of. It is a great set, but you have made it more full looking, and the garage with the helicopter on top looks excellent, especially alongside the elevated road piece.

Your careful mixture of classic lego sets, your own designs, and your own designs INFLUENCED by classic lego sets is inspiring. I look forward to seeing more pictures.

Edited by Sting

Very, very awesome layout Joebot. I definitly give you two *y* up for your town. I especially *wub* your underwater case. I thought this was a greaaat idea. I never thought of doing this in my layout. A very good way to display the Divers theme. Very cool, Model On!!

Joebot,

I would like to say that your Town is one of the best I have seen, and I have seen many. You are able to recreate the magic of the lego catalogs very well. Many towns I have seen have too many pieces, too large buildings, just too great of scale that when you see the small details it isn't interesting. While big buildings are very cool and can work (your Stadium being an example), they can be distracting and ruin the feel of an MOC. You seem to have struck a perfect balance between using the great Lego Town sets AND making your own buildings or additions to buildings.

My favourite area is the area with the Coast Guard base and police station. I have the Coast Guard base from 1995 that you seem to have based the main Coast Guard Building off of. It is a great set, but you have made it more full looking, and the garage with the helicopter on top looks excellent, especially alongside the elevated road piece.

Your careful mixture of classic lego sets, your own designs, and your own designs INFLUENCED by classic lego sets is inspiring. I look forward to seeing more pictures.

Thanks for the really nice comments and feedback everyone.

That balance between my own designs and Lego's Town sets is pretty much what I'm going after. I was lucky enough to grow up during the Golden Era of Town sets back in the late 80's and early 90's, so I love all those old designs. Almost all my buildings try to match that, but maybe at a slightly larger, slightly more detailed scale. But all my buildings are back-less, and there are never, ever any stairs. Lego buildings don't have stairs!!

There are definitely Town MOCs out there are way more detailed and realistic, using all the greys and browns and tan, but I kinda like having a bright blue building next to bright red building, which is next to a bright yellow building.

Incidentally, I got the Cafe Corner for my birthday last week, and I'm struggling with how to incorporate it into my town. It's just too dang big, and stylistically, it doesn't "fit." I may try to scale it down or something. It's a great-looking set, that's for sure.

Oh, and as for the underwater area, yeah, my dad built that for me (actually he built the whole table). He does woodworking as a hobby. You can't really see it in the picture I posted, but there's Divers stuff down there, as well as my kids' Spongebob sets, a handful of Aquaraiders sets, and the big sea monster from the Vikings.

-Joebot

Uh-oh! Here we go again. >:-)

Have you seen these two threads:

Classic town building vs the new cafe corner style

4 or 6 stud wide cars

Yeah, I saw those threads. I would have liked to see some age statistics attached to each person's vote. My hypothesis (completely unfounded) is that the differences in opinion are split down age lines. The younger fans (> 25) are going to prefer the newer styles, such as 6-wide cars. The older fans (< 26) are going to prefer the "classic" building styles and 4-wide cars. Like I said though, it's just a theory.

It's like with Star Wars. Young fans like the prequels better because that's what they grew up with. Older fans think the prequels both suck AND blow, and prefer the original trilogy because that's what they grew up with.

For the record, I'm okay with the new Cafe Corner style, but I am struggling a bit to integrate it into my town. And 6-wide cars are the work of the devil. 4-wide 4-ever!

-Joebot

Yeah, I saw those threads. I would have liked to see some age statistics attached to each person's vote. My hypothesis (completely unfounded) is that the differences in opinion are split down age lines. The younger fans (> 25) are going to prefer the newer styles, such as 6-wide cars. The older fans (< 26) are going to prefer the "classic" building styles and 4-wide cars. Like I said though, it's just a theory.

Well, I'm 30 and I prefer six-wide and cafe corner style... :-P

Although, I agree with your sentiment. For the most part I think you are right. It has a lot to do with nostalgia :'-)

The Fluxington layout is fantastic!! I really like the stadium! Beats my single-street town!! *sweet* Got any pictures of your Fire Station?

Wow, somehow I missed seeing this. What an impressive layout, hope to see more of it!

Oh, and I'm 190 and also of the Cafe Corner, 6-wide school, though I really get nostalgic sometimes for the 80's era houses and even appreciate some of the old 70's Swiss Chalet type stuff. Takes all kinds of tastes in LEGO, and there's room for us all.

Kick @$$ Town On! *y*