legoguy1984

what do you call your lego city/ names for lego city?

Mursten. Take a guess on that one!

Or Castle Melyn is another I used.

That one is based on the fact that Welsh names for towns were sometimes anglicised not translated. Yellow Castle is Castell Melyn in Welsh and basic anglicised it becomes Castle Melyn :classic:

I've always loved the names of rural English villages, and my town is pretty small due to lack of space, so mine is Studs upon Tubes.

This name is brilliant :laugh:

Mursten. Take a guess on that one!

That's easy! Well... If you are from Denmark :wink:Mursten is the Danish word for brick, though we do not call LEGO brick(-s) for mursten but klods (pl. klodser). It is possible that it was called LEGO mursten earlier, I have a vague idea I have seen that. I guess klods would translate into block.

My village/town is called Ballabreek... In the local language (Manx - a Celtic language based on Gaelic) it means "Place of the Brick". I made up a backstory/history a while back to explain that the name derives from the Middle Ages when the local landowner built himself a manor house of brick as opposed to the stone that had been used previously. (And not from the fact that the village is made of little plastic building bricks!!!)

That's easy! Well... If you are from Denmark :wink:Mursten is the Danish word for brick, though we do not call LEGO brick(-s) for mursten but klods (pl. klodser). It is possible that it was called LEGO mursten earlier, I have a vague idea I have seen that. I guess klods would translate into block.

Once upon a time LEGO sold wooden toys and other plastic toys as well as plastic bricks, so they were sold as LEGO Mursten. I think it hung around until they stopped making wooden toys and things that are not related to the bricks.

I want to call mine Brick Shelf since it sits on a shelf but someone has already taken that name. :laugh:

Maybe Ye Old Brick might work.

:laugh: My favorite so far!

Can I play too?

Little Building

Tile-over-Plate

Great names.

How about Brick-under-Hinge, Lego-no-Ess, or SNOTSville?

Or Castle Melyn is another I used.

That one is based on the fact that Welsh names for towns were sometimes anglicised not translated. Yellow Castle is Castell Melyn in Welsh and basic anglicised it becomes Castle Melyn :classic:

Fantastic!

My village/town is called Ballabreek... In the local language (Manx - a Celtic language based on Gaelic) it means "Place of the Brick". I made up a backstory/history a while back to explain that the name derives from the Middle Ages when the local landowner built himself a manor house of brick as opposed to the stone that had been used previously. (And not from the fact that the village is made of little plastic building bricks!!!)

I love it!

My city is called Naiaville, named after my daughter. Though sometimes I use this for the Friends layout rather than my City one.

It seems to me that the two most common naming conventions are something based around 'brick' or based on a loved one.

Looking for help with our city name. Our family name is Mottershead, I figured there would be some cool pun with ‘Head’ but haven’t come up with anything, suggestions?

On 9/1/2022 at 11:37 PM, DJ MotorBall said:

Looking for help with our city name. Our family name is Mottershead, I figured there would be some cool pun with ‘Head’ but haven’t come up with anything, suggestions?

Snottersshed

Moccersbead

Edited by Mr Ogel

Mine does not have a name - but "Stone'd Hedge" could work.

Trains go in circles (or just back and forth) - some are ancient - and well here is to the stones: :pir-huzzah2: 

Best,
Thorsten

On 9/1/2022 at 10:37 PM, DJ MotorBall said:

Maidenhead, Moccershead, & Brickshead (revisited) are the first to mind.

If it's a coastal town, you could have it be called anything, but a certain cliff point in the town be called 'Motter's Head' (the new lighthouse for example).

I found it best to start from lego related words, then work towards a town name instead of the opposite. Like anything from below;

Lego-related words for place-names: Brick, Block, Stud, Tube, Clutch, Lego, Tabletown, Plate, Tile, Baseplate, Scale, Decal, Element, Greeble, Lurp/Burp, minifig, Moc/Mod, Octan, Paradisa, Polybag, Print, Set, Snot, Swoosh, Tablescrap, Wedge, AFOL, Bow, Vignette/Vig, Pebble/Stone (stein), Cheese slope, Cuusoo, Jumper, Lug, NPU, Modular, Creator, Build/Building, Hinge, Classic, Plastic, Mold, Falcon, Axle, Pin, System, Assembly, M:Tron, Play

Good subthemes for place-names: Nautica, Paradisa, Belville, Fabuland, Heartlake City, Newbury, Galidor, Wolfpack, Forestmen, Chima

Obviously 'lego' Colours in place-names: Azure, Coral, Tan, Nougat, Neon, Olive, Sand Green, Pearl, Flat, Satin, Speckle

So for example, I just call my own village 'Little Greebling'. But you can use it to get specific too. Nightclub? 'Night on the tiles'.

I still haven't decided on my cities name; I'm still yet to make a giant mountain behind my city with a Hollywood esque sign haha!

My name is Undies, so i'm leaning on Unditopia atm though. If anyone can think of a good pun name that links underpants and a city, i'm all ears?.

Edited by Undi3sss

My current RR station's / towns are named as such - buildings are shared between most of them, so they are all interchangeable:

Lego City (art-deco terminal station for use with my local LUG's train shows)

Amber (Toy Story / Western / rural town - Named as such because the town is frozen in time. Also the setting for my version of "Woody's Roundup" TV show)

Legoredo (Western theme - another station on the same line as Amber, but closer / named after the to the U.S. Army fort of the same name.) 

River Bend (Disneyland RR station inspired, so 1890's - 1930's town)

Edited by Murdoch17

12 hours ago, DJ MotorBall said:

We’ve gone with Mottersville… not super original, but there you go

Sound fine to me, and plenty original. Nobody is going to have their town named Mottersville besides you, thus it's unique.

Good luck on your expanding metropolis in the years to come @DJ MotorBall!

Edited by Murdoch17

On 9/4/2022 at 1:28 AM, Undi3sss said:

If anyone can think of a good pun name that links underpants and a city, i'm all ears?.

Just brainstorming... But...

Mooseknuckle

Cameltoe/Cameltown

Bulgeburg

Pouch Place

BangC0ck

Dong Kong

Londong

Istanbulge

San Pantscisco

Crotch Angeles

@rsecelona

Pantsterdam

Skidney

Long-John Locale

Boxers Down

Y-Front Falls

Pantsdown Parish

Chode Abode

Private Parts

Drawersden

Bloomersberth

Bananahammock Bridge

Winklehold

Schlongsack Suburb 

Thong Kong

Hong Thong

Buttfloss

Peckerpack Place

Trolleyton

Kecksico City

Trolleywood

Hong Dong

Underoosalem

Jocksford

Skid Row

Package Peninsula

Wangdorra

Baggiesdad

Reykjadik

San Hose'

Panto Domingo

C0ckholm

The name of my town is Poodaville! It's one of the supporting towns of Lego City as Brooklyn is to New York. Because it's connected to Lego City, Poodaville uses a lot of the services that Lego City uses. 

Edited by Poodabricks

I think i used to call my town “Nincompoop Town” when I was a kid.

But now, I got my first Modular building so I will think something to call my new town. 

Dark Brick City, as reference to the movie Dark City where buildings move every night (though that in my city they don't move so often), and because the room is mostly dark (in an attic, and I keep the blinds down in front of one of the windows to avoid direct sunlight on the bricks).

Of course, there is a Shell Beach poster then: https://antp.be/priv/lego-room/DSC_7786_1.JPG :grin: