Sign in to follow this  
eurotrash

MOC: Kansas City & Westport Horse Railroad Car 1870

Horsecar

As I was researching my PCC Streetcar I kept on coming across two blurry sepia tinged images of one of the earliest streetcars in Kansas City's transport history.

16682656952_7112090803_o.jpg

So before I could build the latest KC Streetcar (a UBOS 3) I knew I had to build a MOC of this. I had no idea as to the original color scheme so I decided to abdicate and take black and white pictures.

16063725503_23ab2ff4fe_c.jpg

These were light vehicles with a narrow gauge. As the track were laid on dirt and bare rock derailments were a common occurrence. When these happened the male passengers were expected to disembark and shove the carriage back onto the track while the females remained inside.

16683634165_7f352e75cf_c.jpg

During later years the revenue from tickets would reach $250,000 and the proceeds from the sale of Manure $10,000 - so I had to ensure that I included the obligatory bucket and shovel.

16657699246_9da12932cc_c.jpg

Drivers were expected to work 15 hours a day, 7 days a week in all weathers in an open carriage for about 8c/hour pay. The horses were luckier in that they were worked for 4-6 hours through the day.

16682622122_545652ceae_b.jpg

Given the working conditions the smile on this guy seems a little too fixed.

Comments, criticism and ridicule welcome!

Nice work. You beat me to it. I was planning a horse drawn trolley too. I think some roof overhang and taper at the rear wouldn't hurt. It'll give symmetry with the front and not have that car chopped in half abrupt look.

Nice work. You beat me to it. I was planning a horse drawn trolley too. I think some roof overhang and taper at the rear wouldn't hurt. It'll give symmetry with the front and not have that car chopped in half abrupt look.

I think you're right about the overhang at the rear. I was reading a book about the history of transportation in Kansas City and they described the rear (of this horse wagon) as being open to the elements and with only a ladder to gain entry (i.e. no platform), but I did find an image of a similar looking horse car from Rochester, NY 1867 where the rear overhang is more obviously there.

20130313150246-93b06331-me.jpg

And one from 1877 where they've added the rear platform as well

First_Horsecar_in_Manchester,_NH.jpg

Back to the brickpile!

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

A great little build. Now if only you could get the horses to move along the lego track (grin... though a few years back someone posted a MOC where they put small train wheels under the horses pulling a stage coach... I think the one from the Lone Ranger)