Can't you start with the narrowest available and widen it until you get to 13? There was a post/thread a while back on here on the narrowest axle steered with a differential (driven). Though, if my memory serves me right, has to be above 13L, unless you do without a differential.

Edited by DrJB

Can't you start with the narrowest available and widen it until you get to 13? There was a post/thread a while back on here on the narrowest axle steered with a differential (driven). Though, if my memory serves me right, has to be above 13L, unless you do without a differential.

I've been looking for something like that and I can't find it. Do you have a link? Thanks! :thumbup: I can't find any good ones with a differential.

Edited by TheLegoExpert

Would this work?

640x328.jpg

It is 13 wide and features ackerman geometry

EDIT:

Would probably need some reinforcing

640x328.jpg

Edited by D3K

Yeah, sure, I made some more reinforcing as well.. maybe a little too much, so just remove as needed. I don't have any physical bricks at the moment, so can't test it out myself.

640x342.jpg

LDD file can be found here

I built this axle and it is really cool. Thanks D3K!!

I recommend using the 5x11 frame for easier integration into the vehicle frame.

Edited by mihai_9600

That's a really awesome little unit D3K, but from the looks of it it could improved upon by replacing the u joints with cv joints and moving the pivot points a stud closer to the wheels. That would reduce the amount of force needed to steer.

I'm glad you liked it :classic:

That's a really awesome little unit D3K, but from the looks of it it could improved upon by replacing the u joints with cv joints and moving the pivot points a stud closer to the wheels. That would reduce the amount of force needed to steer.

That was what I was going for initially, but I figured the female CV joint part (the DBG one) is a tad short to actually fit a wheel to reliably, seeing as you're left with just 1L of axle after passing it through the pinhole. Still, it shouldn't be too difficult to mod it to be that way :thumbup: