LegoSjaak

Lego Modular City Square

An interesting option for a "viskraam", in stead of the standard truck like this

http://www.vishandel-almere.nl/images/viskar-volendammer-vishandel-nico-tol-medium.jpg

would be an original vintage "viskar" or "haringkar", like these, which would fit in quite nicely, in my opinion.

Should be doable in bricks.

I love these, I've seen them at the market loads of times in The Netherlands:

http://www.skippy-rent.nl/pics/skippy-rent/shop/producten/details/Viskar_donkerhout.jpg

http://www.wijgert.nl/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Haringkar-vo.jpg

http://www.deinumscatering.nl/application/files/3714/2168/2236/viskar.jpeg

Huge! As said before: Lovely city square. Must've been quite a log of joy placing all thise tiles. For me, this is always a very enjoyable part. :)

Regarding the trees: I would think about adding some grass around them, because currently it looks like they growing right out of the floor conrete.

Here is the latest picture after adding the fencing and completing the bike paths! 19814057050_e557fdbe6a_h.jpg

Huge! As said before: Lovely city square. Must've been quite a log of joy placing all thise tiles. For me, this is always a very enjoyable part. :)

Regarding the trees: I would think about adding some grass around them, because currently it looks like they growing right out of the floor conrete.

Thanks Peedee! It was a lot of fun, but i could feel the little muscles in my fingers after some time.. pressing down the tiles again and again caused that....haha... About the trees.. here in the Netherands we often have a special kind of tiles to place around trees in shopping areas or crowded centres.. There is only some room left for the trunk and roots but for the rest it is covered. The tiles do drain rainwater, so else the trees wouldn't have any moisture... I could put some grille tiles around the trunks, but i'm not sure if that would look good though....

Now that there will be a new Brick Bank, i immediately started drawing and thinking of how big i'm gonna build it, and where it should be placed in my Modular City Square. My XL BrickBank version will be 48 studs wide, on 56 studs of baseplate. The XL BrickBank will be mirrorbuild, so the corner fits in the top left position in the layout as is shown in the picture... I changed the setup of the buildings and made a drawing of how it will be. I also made the square wider, with a section of 32 x 144 studs, so the square itself will measure 224 x 144 = 32.256 studs....covered with almost 8000 2x2 tiles in Tan and Dark Tan.. I was also thinking to bring in some kind of water ornament. In the layout you can see it is in the middle of the square, in front of the XL Town Hall. In former days, a lot of gardens also had a pond or something in front of the building. Now i'm just looking for some kind of fountain, to put in the middle watersection.....any suggestions? 21947163409_5ee836fea8_b.jpg

If you continue to double the size of modulars, you're gonna soon need a bigger house, man!

The water fountain/ornament looks promising. Right now, your square is too big for the amount of ornament you have (I know it's a work in progress). Some little buildings (kiosk, etc) would fit well. And of course, a water ornament will be fine. In fact, I would do it wider (at least the central piece) than the the one in your blueprint. Some statues would be useful, too.

Here are some pictures of Plaza de Oriente, de Madrid. Maybe you could do some statues in a row on both sides of the square, and, in the middle of the fountain, a big one with a horse. Just an idea. :)Plaza%20de%20Oriente%20desde%20Teatro%20Real.jpgestatuas-frente-al-palacio-real-madrid_59897.jpg2010_0726palaciorealplazaorie0043.jpgestatua%20felipe%20IV.jpg

Edited by Gongoro73

Looking greater every time.

I would just replace all the train stuff for a tram. (not the ugly city one) The tracks could be level with the surface and tiled up. At least until you have a proper train station to go with the euro style of the square.

How about the Trevi fountain? Or 2 of them, back to back.

Edited by Sir Stig

If you continue to double the size of modulars, you're gonna soon need a bigger house, man!

The water fountain/ornament looks promising. Right now, your square is too big for the amount of ornament you have (I know it's a work in progress). Some little buildings (kiosk, etc) would fit well. And of course, a water ornament will be fine. In fact, I would do it wider (at least the central piece) than the the one in your blueprint. Some statues would be useful, too.

Here are some pictures of Plaza de Oriente, de Madrid. Maybe you could do some statues in a row on both sides of the square, and, in the middle of the fountain, a big one with a horse. Just an idea. :)

I see some similarity in the 'Plaza de Oriente' and i like the range of smaller statues in a row... Maybe it is possible to have about 10 minifigs, all light bluish grey that i can use for this.. Th fountain looks great to, but i'd rather have a square fountain, so i'm working on that. I like kiosks, but i'm a bit anxious that my skills are not good enough to build one...i could ofcourse make a copy of someone elses kiosk...;-) Thanx for your comment!

How about the Trevi fountain? Or 2 of them, back to back.

Personally, i think that placing two Trevi's back to back, would be to tall for the square...and the colors wouldn't match very well, as i have a lot of Tan, Dark Tan and Dark Red...But thanks for the suggestion!

Looking greater every time.

I would just replace all the train stuff for a tram. (not the ugly city one) The tracks could be level with the surface and tiled up. At least until you have a proper train station to go with the euro style of the square.

I'm developing the square into the direction of the station/Railway....but that will take some time before i start with that... one thing at a time.. the cost of al those tiles is already taking my budget....;-)

No worries, you and another Dutch person I used to know have very similar interests!

The Dutch community is famous for its similar interests: Gouda Cheese, Wooden Shoes, Tulips and Lego....haha...

This is really cool. I found pictures of your setup before I found this forum.

Your tile colors and pattern is very well chosen and I like your benches and flowers. The water it looks like you're incorporating should be a nice touch. I think, surprisingly, you might not be aspiring enough though. I also think a fountain in the middle would better suit the grandeur of your square. Maybe something like Barcelona's Magic Fountain. I would be careful using statues, or at least a lot of them. While I like the effect of the one in the Ninja temple and the 2016 park polybag thing, it could be kinda tacky. Could be wrong though; worth the experiment if you have the money.

Your square makes me think how it would be nice if Lego made an inverse corner modular, though you've made the most of not having them via your bike path. It would also be painful for Lego to figure out the best way of doing that, too.

Anyway, I'd also like to use tiles to spruce up my city but I am waiting until I actually accumulate a small variety of 2x2s via PAB. I'm surprised the gray 2x2 and 2x1 tiles aren't more commonly available, or maybe I've just been unlucky. That and I'm Lego broke from my dark age recovery (and I still have a few expensive sets to go).

Wow. Very impressive. This is big!!

By the way, when is the weakly market going to arrive ;)

Thanks, Man met Hoed, the weekly market will arrive as soon as the square is ready.... here some progress on the new middle piece.. 22212125756_609e9bd76a_c.jpg

t

This is really cool. I found pictures of your setup before I found this forum.

Your tile colors and pattern is very well chosen and I like your benches and flowers. The water it looks like you're incorporating should be a nice touch. I think, surprisingly, you might not be aspiring enough though. I also think a fountain in the middle would better suit the grandeur of your square. Maybe something like Barcelona's Magic Fountain. I would be careful using statues, or at least a lot of them. While I like the effect of the one in the Ninja temple and the 2016 park polybag thing, it could be kinda tacky. Could be wrong though; worth the experiment if you have the money.

Your square makes me think how it would be nice if Lego made an inverse corner modular, though you've made the most of not having them via your bike path. It would also be painful for Lego to figure out the best way of doing that, too.

Anyway, I'd also like to use tiles to spruce up my city but I am waiting until I actually accumulate a small variety of 2x2s via PAB. I'm surprised the gray 2x2 and 2x1 tiles aren't more commonly available, or maybe I've just been unlucky. That and I'm Lego broke from my dark age recovery (and I still have a few expensive sets to go).

Thanks for your various advice! I was thinking of an inverted cornerbuilding already several times before, and it has been done in the past by a few of our EB-members. But so far i am do not like those inverted cornerbuildings enough... Today i did some tiling, as one of the bricklinkorders was delivered! I also made a first try with a statue... i'm not totally happy with it, but it is not bad either.. But, i at least made a start...haha..here is the result. Also threw in some 'water'... 22251305775_e81261c9e3_c.jpg

t Thanks for your various advice! I was thinking of an inverted cornerbuilding already several times before, and it has been done in the past by a few of our EB-members. But so far i am do not like those inverted cornerbuildings enough... Today i did some tiling, as one of the bricklinkorders was delivered! I also made a first try with a statue... i'm not totally happy with it, but it is not bad either.. But, i at least made a start...haha..here is the result. Also threw in some 'water'...

Looking good so far, LegoSjaak. I still think that central piece of water needs to be bigger, specially since you're going to put a statue in it, wich I like. I also think that tiling should be in a different colour from the ground, to give it some acent to it. Maybe some kind of grey? Good job, anyway!

Looking good so far, LegoSjaak. I still think that central piece of water needs to be bigger, specially since you're going to put a statue in it, wich I like. I also think that tiling should be in a different colour from the ground, to give it some acent to it. Maybe some kind of grey? Good job, anyway!

I see what you mean with making the cental piece bigger, but then it have to break up the pattern. I've been looking for dark bluish grey statues as a minifig, but all i came up with was a knight... The current dark tan statue is some kind of adventurer, Michiel de Ruyter... he was pretty good at discovering new worlds and so on... At least i got a story behind it...haha..! I'll go have a look at changing the color of the statue base..

Amazing may be an XL sized understatement.

Wow.

Thank you! I made a HD video of the renewed Squarer yesterdayevening. Here is the result:

Edited by LegoSjaak