1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 1 - Poor
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding

gallery_6705_157_3160.png

Hello everyone,

After sharing my recent two completed reviews on the 70752 Jungle Trap and 70753 Lava Falls earlier, I am going to continue this third review of my Ninjago 2015 which coincidentally part of the Tournament of Elements feature. I really hope I could be able to continue working on the rest of the other sets which I have bought recently and without a doubt, I am certainly enjoying this theme very much.

Name: 70754 ElectroMech

Theme: LEGO System / Ninjago

Year: 2015

Pieces: 153

Minifigs: 2 minifigures

Price: USD N.A, GBP 12.99, EURO 14.99, SGD $24.90

Resources: Brickset, BrickLink

Power up Jay for battle in the huge ElectroMech!

Evil Chope is launching an attack to try to reclaim the Jade Blade. Fight back with Jay in the fully posable ElectroMech. Place Jay in the cockpit, fasten the cool sword seat belt and flip up the golden blades. Beware of Chope’s huge spear and dangerous crossbow ballista. Return fire with the right-hand dual shooter and hold on tight to that precious Jade Blade with the gripping left fist! Includes 2 minifigures with assorted weapons and accessories: Jay and Chope.

• Includes 2 minifigures with assorted weapons and accessories: Jay and Chope

• ElectroMech features opening cockpit with sword seat belt, fold-out golden blade wings, posable arms and legs, grabbing fist and a dual stud shooter

• Weapons include Chope’s huge spear and crossbow ballista, plus the Jade Blade

• Jay is wearing his unique tournament outfit

• Place Jay in the cockpit with sword seat belt

• Flip up the golden Ninja blade wings

• Attack with the grabbing fist and dual stud shooter

• Evade Chope’s crossbow ballista

• Protect the Jade Blade from the Ancondrai warrior

• Recreate your favorite scenes from the NINJAGO Masters of Spinjitzu™ TV show

• ElectroMech measures over 5” (15cm) high, 5” (14cm) long and 3” (9cm) wide

• Crossbow ballista measures 1” (4cm) high, 1” (3cm) wide and 1” (3cm) deep

An original box image of the 70754 ElectroMech

15827490684_66b61cee94_o_d.jpg

Back view of the original box image of the 70754 ElectroMech

16262598320_ff04d307e2_o_d.jpg

Welcome to another match of Tournament of Elements

16262589000_f469b23ea8_o_d.jpg

This is the third Ninjago set which is part of the release in Spring 2015. This set features the third dual of Tournament of Elements. As you observe in the earlier back view image of the original box set, you may have notice that a special weapon type is included. It is known as the Jade Blade and it is being featured as weapon number 3. Unlike the other earlier two tournament sets which is based on location settings, this set is focus on Jay's ElectroMech with that as the main design and playability. This set is very focused on the construction of the ElectroMech and this is not the first LEGO mechanical robot design being by TLG. In fact, the LEGO designers have done many mech robots designs throughout the years and they are very good to bring out the playability and posable appeal to the LEGO fans.

The content of the sealed box

16263756309_6d6eb5273c_o_d.jpg

The sealed box comes with three mint packs, sticker sheet which I choose not to apply onto this set and an instruction manual to guide the builder on to build up the set. After the built is completed, these are the remaining spare parts which include an extra blue mini mask that I consider as an useful minifigure accessory.

I have begun by placing and mixing all of the LEGO elements together. I have noticed several useful weapons and parts for the minifigures aspect like those golden katanas, crossbows and the newly printed round plate shield for the Anacrondrai. There is also a new printed piece which depict the control panel and it seem to only be made available in the new LEGO Ninjago theme at this point in time. So far, you can find this part in these four Ninjago new sets.

The main characters - Jay and Chope

15829938463_1c12860a8f_o_d.jpg

Let me introduce Jay and Chope who are the two main minifigures characters in this set. The good side featured the suave lightning-looking blue ninja. The colour scheme of his tournament outfit remains true to his fundamental colour. From what I have observed so far, the design of this Jay is also avaialble in the 30292 Jay's Nano Mech polybag which is a smaller version of the ElectroMech.

The new evil henchman villain, is Chope. He is an Anacrondrai soldier, very similar to his other fellow comrades. There is only very slight variation from one another and you need to pay more attention in order to separate them from one another. He is one of Master Chen's henchmen who has been transformed into a human-Anacrondrai hybrid. So far, I only noticed this minifigure is only made available in this set but I could be wrong on this. Well, there is really nothing of a big difference between these Anacrondrai soldiers, other than attempting to infuse characters personalities into them.

You can take a closer look at their outfits without their weapons attached and if you are interested to see what is beneath Jay's appearance, you can look at here. There are also back-printing behind their bodies as well which add good fine details onto the character designs.

Chope standing beside the dangerous crossbow ballista

16262594410_fb044629a8_o_d.jpg

Well, there is not really anything dangerous about this simple built of the crossbow ballista. It is just putting a few parts together to pass it off as a quick launch point for these crossbows. Not exactly the real ballista that I have in mind and I honestly don't think it can stand up to the ElectoMech.

The completed built of the ElectroMech

15827486064_313e3645ed_o_d.jpg

This is the completed built of the ElectroMech. It is coated with the blue sleek colour and at one glance, you are able to associate it with Jay instead of any other ninjas. For a small mech measuring over 15cm high, 14cm long and 9cm wide, it is quite a decent size for such built of less than 150 bricks count. It is very posable with the ball joints located at the shoulders and knees.

The left arm contain a dual stud shooter which is the new blaster guns designs that allow the 1x1 round yellow piece to be able to shoot at their targets. While the right arm is a very firm robotic hand grip. It can simply grab hold of his enemies with ease. All of this can be controlled from the mech control panel. This mech feature a playing mechanism which allows activation of the fold-out golden blade wings which is very fun to play with by pushing up and down through a simple technic mechanism by transforming the wings in rest mode right into stand-by flight mode. You can take a moment to view the different details from the side view and back view.

Opening up the cockpit

16448251621_b0b06ddd17_o_d.jpg

Jay is preparing to fight in this posable ElectroMech

16450009165_4f8ccf2ffa_o_d.jpg

Preparing for upcoming combat

16449058322_5751c37f26_o_d.jpg

Different pose view of the ElectroMech

16448251191_25a3ed9dcc_o_d.jpg

Could you win against the ElectroMech?

16263748389_72f3c479f2_o_d.jpg

There! I finally got you.

16450007165_870b6eba7b_o_d.jpg

To conclude, this is a fun mech set to play with. The mech built is very nice and sturdy. It have several playable functions which enhance the playing experience. It include two decent nice minifigures but the main attraction for me was the ElectroMech which entice me to acquire it. I could definitely recommend fans who are into mech to highly consider this purchase even though it is not as big and detailed as some other mech designs out there.

Summary review

Playability: 8/10 (The ElectroMech contain nice playability like the activiation of the wings and the left arm shooters.)

Design: 8/10 (ElectroMech design wise is pretty solid and decent with such limited amount of bricks, while the enemy defense is simply unable to match up.)

Price: 8/10 (Price is reasonable which include decent amount of bricks and parts.)

Overall: 8/10 (Very nice mech to play with and it can probably be a good entry budget Ninjago set to begin with, if you are unsure of this theme.)

I gave it a "4" based on my Review Score Card. :wink: What about yours?

I hope every one of you enjoyed reading this simple review of mine. Comments and Criticisms are strongly welcomed.

Pictures can be found in My Flickr.

Great Review Whitefang, I'm not really a huge Ninjago fan myself but this set comes with some cool functions and parts.

Good review! The articulation of the ankles would be greatly improved if the ball cups were on the feet and the ball joints were on the legs instead of the other way around. But the mech definitely has loads of personality!

Great review! I am not a fan of Ninjago or Mech, but your review is well done! It exemplifies what a great review should be, plenty of pictures, good description, self contained on EB.

Andy D

Thanks for the review WhiteFang. I thought Kai's Fire Mech from 2013 was excellent value; this looks to be the same in a slightly larger set.

Good review! I bought this set for my son who really likes it. I think it is the best mech of the Ninjago line so far. It is compact, but still very detailed. The stud shooter and fold out wings are good play features and the mech can hold the jade blade as a weapon and it looks okay due to the size of this particular jade blade. I continue to be impressed with the smaller sets in the Ninjago line.

Thanks guys! I really enjoyed this set very much. It is not small, but just the right size. I am glad you find this review useful. :sweet:

Great review WhiteFang, I really want to pick this set up and I think I will soon enough as it's not too expensive.

Hi,

Thanks for the review, in myopinion it looks like a 3 year old designed it, especially without stickers.

Regards

Heiko

Hi,

Thanks for the review, in myopinion it looks like a 3 year old designed it, especially without stickers.

Regards

Heiko

I ought to warn you to refrain from arguments like that. They often end up sounding like a three-year-old made them. :innocent:

Anyway, having built this set I can say with certainty that it has an exceptional function! The wings snap open and closed with a satisfying "click". The function looks even cooler when the stickers are added, since the patterns on the 2x2 round tiles rotate with the wings! In general, this set is a lot of fun, and for $15 it's a great value.

I love how the Jade Blade is sized appropriately for the mech to carry it, though for Jay to carry it himself, its bladed handle is a bit ridiculously large.

I just built one and the engineering for deploying the wing blades is very clever. This a very well designed model as it is so solid and therefore has high playability. For my purposes, this the kind of set that I'll buy two and MOC out a more complex version. Thanks for the review.