Sign in to follow this  
NathanR

[MOC] The Large Hadron Collider

The Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN is the world's largest and most powerful particle accelerator - it takes simple protons up to almost the speed of light and smashes them together inside four enormous detectors named ATLAS, CNS, LHCb and ALICE. The detectors track and record the collision debris, and physicists sift through the data to search for new particles (like the famous Higgs Boson) or new phenomena like supersymmetry or extra dimensions.

The model showcases all four of the detectors, but only includes a representative part of the LHC - the real LHC fills a 27km circular tunnel, and at this scale would still measure around 14m across!

LHC_MicroRing_zpstyrbmjvq.png

The detectors themselves use cutaway walls to reveal all of the interior mechanisms, and every major component is represented by a Lego brick:

ATLAS, my favourite:

ATLAS_Micro_zpskjpzhyh0.png

(I'm being unashamedly biased - as a PhD student I use data from this detector to study the Higgs boson!)

CMS:

CMS_Micro_zps517vuczr.png

LHCb:

LHCb_Micro_zpsxzuowpni.png

ALICE:

ALICE_Micro_zps6aoryej9.png

They aren't strictly in scale with each other, for example LHCb should be on a 4x4 base to properly match ATLAS, but I think it gives the set a more uniform look and it also let me cram in a lot more detail then I would have otherwise managed.

The project is currently listed on Lego Ideas (https://ideas.lego.com/projects/94885), so if you like it I'd appreciate your vote. However, I'm more interested in what you guys think of the models - I've seen some stunning builds on here, and I'd love to know what you think about the techniques I've used, or if there are ways of improving the models that I've missed.

If you want to build the LHC yourselves, I've got detailed instruction manuals available from here: http://build-your-ow...hc-micro-models.

The site's well worth checking out for some other fabulous Lego models of detectors at CERN (though not designed by me!).

Cheers

Nathan

Edited by NathanR

I actually saw this shortly after you put it on Ideas, and I like it quite a bit - you already have my support, as of yesterday. :) I think you've done a good job of building a microscale version of a large scientific research instrument / facility, that might not necessarily lend itself towards a visually-interesting model, and done a good job of making it engaging to look at. And I see I'm not the only one who thinks so, given that you've garnered over 1300 votes (including mine) in just a couple days, an envious accomplishment.

Good luck with it! :thumbup:

Edited by Blondie-Wan

However, I'm more interested in what you guys think of the models - I've seen some stunning builds on here, and I'd love to know what you think about the techniques I've used, or if there are ways of improving the models that I've missed.

Where shall I start?

First of all I am happy to see such a MOC as I studied Physics myself and was very much into particle physics.

Then the designs and descriptions of the different detectors are great. Perfectly fine models.

I think the basic idea in building with Lego is not to mimic real life 100% but to capture the essence of something and to make a model out of it.

What I am actually missing (no, not the 27 km) are the connecting elements between the 8 models you have built.

This would include some magnets to bend the particle rays, etc. (I just realize that my Physics vocabulary is outdated and not in English :laugh: ).

So, if you add some tube elements and the magnets, the whole thing would be fine.

And maybe one or two minifig Physicists.

What I am actually missing (no, not the 27 km) are the connecting elements between the 8 models you have built.

This would include some magnets to bend the particle rays, etc. (I just realize that my Physics vocabulary is outdated and not in English :laugh: ).

So, if you add some tube elements and the magnets, the whole thing would be fine.

And maybe one or two minifig Physicists.

Hi Captain Braunsfeld, glad you like the models!

Actually, the blue 1x1 bricks between the detectors are supposed to represent the magnets, or as close as I can get them. The LHC uses 1232 dipole magnets to bend beams of protons around the circular ring, and 392 quadrupole magnets to keep the protons focused into a beam no thicker than a human hair. The silver parts between the blue 1x1 round bricks represent the metal bellows that appear at regular intervals - the entire LHC is cooled to about -273 degrees, which causes it to shrink slightly, and the bellows stretch so that the LHC doesn't tear itself apart at the seams.

I did try and physically link all 8 units together, but LHCb sticks out at one end so the magnet won't connect, and in any case the detector ends aren't all at the same height, e.g. LHCb Vertex Locator is about 1/4 plate higher than the the centre of the green 2x2 tile on the far end :sceptic:.

Another consideration is that I only had LDD to work with, and for the life of me I cannot get flex tubes to work in that program!

However, maybe this slightly larger LHC might capture things a little better:

ATLAS%20side_zpsh8lttuvc.png

(this one's not on Lego Ideas, it's a bit steep at something like £150 but I'm trying to acquire the parts for otto see if it works in real bricks)

Actually, the blue 1x1 bricks between the detectors are supposed to represent the magnets, or as close as I can get them.

Another consideration is that I only had LDD to work with, and for the life of me I cannot get flex tubes to work in that program!

However, maybe this slightly larger LHC might capture things a little better:

Ok, the magnets are blue - fine.

And I understand the constraints given by LDD.

The larger LHC is perfect (and probably too expensive :laugh: ).

:thumbup: