Hey guys, I've built several Lego vehicles with MINDSTORMS® and decided to use my experiences with previous vehicles to build a real car. I was originally looking at building a Ford Escape, but the blueprint scaler measurements came out all wrong, so I turned to a Cadillac CTS-V. I'm a fan of the CTS-V, mostly because of the luxurious ride and smoking performance fused into one car.

Here's a picture of the real-life vehicle:

2015-cts-v-coupe-exterior-masthead-960X540.jpg

Please note beforehand that I am building a model based off the Cadillac CTS-V, but not necessarily an exact replica, partly due to less than a total of 2,000 pieces and partly because I don't have a lot of pieces of just one color :blush:

I'll try to share the blueprint with measurements tomorrow, and because I am already working on a few builds at once, starting this work on spare parts will be a bit slow for a couple weeks. I hope you guys enjoy the progress!

If you'd like to, please check out my previous vehicular builds:

Outland3r -

Outland3r 2.0 -

RX2 Thund3r Truck -

AWD MiniKart -

Chopp3Rod -

I'm trying to upload the blueprint, but it won't let me attach it. Can anyone help? Thanks.

For now, I'll let you guys on the specs:

• fake LEGO V8 piston engine with detailed supercharger (like the real thing)
  • 43.2 x 22 ZR tires and wheels
  • length: approx. 43 studs
  • wheelbase: approx. 25 studs
  • width: approx. 17 studs

As for now, I plan to have the rear of the car lifted two studs in comparison to the front, and that will be remedied through gearing. That will give the sloping look of the car more accurately. I'm working on the engine and "supercharger" cover right now, along with a few front styling cues such as the grille and lights. The engine will have working pistons driven by the drivetrain.

As you can tell by the smallish tire size (same tires that are in the Ev3 and NXT set), this is gonna be one tight Caddy :wink:

That's about it for now… :classic:

Okay, this has been taking longer than I thought it would, but here it is so far. I've modeled the front end, including the lights and grille. A V8 engine with the supercharger on top was added for realistic function, and it works too. I'm planning for the piston engine to work by attaching it to the drivetrain through gearing, making it high-rev. I'll upload the video ASAP. For now, enjoy some pictures :classic:

img_1253-e1426014647967.jpg

img_1255-e1426014672348.jpgimg_1254-e1426014681549.jpg

Thanks for viewing, and please remember that this isn't going to be a 100% accurate replica. And this isn't the final result anyway :wink:

Progress!

So the main body has been pretty much finished here, except the rear and top (and wheels and such). The piston engine works perfectly! It is connected to a 8z gear which drives a 24z clutch gear. The drive transmits through a few universal joints and ends in a 12z gear meshing with the 20z gear used to drive the differential. Massively geared up throughout so that the piston engine runs plenty quick.

img_1330-e1437588897821.jpgimg_1332-e1437588915720.jpgimg_1333-e1437588931693.jpgimg_1335-e1437588943817.jpg

More pretty soon…

Edited by DamonMM2000

The whole piston system fell to the ground. There was no way to fit the steering mechanism ideally without being misaligned, as shown in the pictures below.

img_1336-e1437588956109.jpgimg_1337-e1437588969174.jpg

It was a learning experience though with pistons and gearing, so it may come in handy in a future creation.

So I ended up tearing out the whole gear mechanism for the piston engine…

img_1338-e1437588986708.jpg

Now with the pistons resting in an ideal position, the steering mechanism came together nicely, barely fitting in between the engine.

img_1339-e1437589000395.jpgimg_1342-e1437589013927.jpg

This is the result for now! Keep your eyes peeled for a preliminary model preview tomorrow on my YouTube channel!

img_1330-e1437588897821.jpg

CTS-eV3 is a Lego replica of the 2010 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe. With Rear Wheel Drive, lots of speed, and more than adequate torque, this motorized creation is like the real car. Having been over half a year in the making, there has been many trial-and-errors (including chassis, drivetrain, and exterior redesigns). But I am quite satisfied with the final outcome! CTS-eV3 has a 4.5:1 gear ratio (minus the differential), accomplished by driving a 36 tooth gear meshed with an 8 tooth gear in a unique setup. Actual speed is a few tenths under 4 Kph! This two door coupe has been relatively replicated, including the visible V8 piston engine along with the Corvette inspired supercharger!

I really like how you did the body paneling and the drive chain, but I think the wheels are too small, maybe try THESEwheels instead, and also the front end so to flat and boxy for me

Edited by JJ2

I really like how you did the body paneling and the drive chain, but I think the wheels are too small, maybe try THESEwheels instead, and also the front end so to flat and boxy for me

I agree with the first 2 points, but not the last one