Oky

Disney Movies and TV Shows Discussion

Lucky Duck! I've been trying to find that one one DVD, but because of the whole "fault system scheme" Mickey's got going, it has been nearly impossible (well I guess I could go on Ebay, but whatever). It's rather hard to find some of the good classics in stores, at least if you don't mind giving up an arm and a leg (or soul) as payment. When the live action version gets closer to release though, Disney will most likely release the animated one again thankfully. :thumbup:

I must note it's rather shocking to find people who've not seen Disney movies. Obviously, there's tons of people who have not seen them, but still--it's great now that you can finally enjoy them. Must have been tough to avoid spoilers from movies released decades and decades ago! :grin:

I watched them all online... shhh! :tongue:

Aladdin.. I think... I don't know, I liked that one because I had heard about every song before whereas I hadn't heard everything in Alice, Beauty and the Beast, etc. Plus, Robin Williams was awesome, may he RIP! :cry_sad:

Nothing to spoil really, guy gets the girl, that one lion dies, etc. It's so fun watching these! :laugh:

Lumière (Ewan McGregor) and Cogsworth (Ian McKellen)

BeatutyBeast-ConceptArt-720x363.jpg

Gaston's song sequence:

BeatutyBeast-ConceptArt2-720x405.jpg

Looks like Lumiere's face is on the stand instead of on the candle, I wonder why they changed that.

But I'm loving the ornate designs :sweet:

I'm not totally against remakes, but when the original wasn't bad, it seems too cash grabby. Why does Beauty and the Beast need to be done again?

Looking forward to Moana though.

Or Cinderella for that matter... everyone seems to have forgotten about it. Ah well. They can remake crappy movies all they like, but come on, anything nominated for Best Picture that is actually still watched doesn't need a new version.

Moana

It looks good, although I would have preferred 2D. I think this looks better than other 3D Disney movies, though.

It's not that I have anything against 3D animation, but I really feel like Disney needs to have a 2D film every few years or so. It is an art form I feel Disney perfected, and I fear they are losing the talent to do it again.

Agree.

Princess and the Frog was amazing, but it seems it was the last one :sadnew:

Rapunzel was originally a 2D film, but it was changed to 3D animation and renamed as Tangled, so it wouldn't be a "movie for girls"

Same with Frozen, which original name was The Snow Queen

I'm surprised Moana was named after the princess again. Last time that happen was with Cinderella, if I recall correctly.

And God forbids the prince saves the princess now....

I think that one Winnie The Pooh film was the last 2D film they did. But no one saw it since it was released against "The Deathly Hollows Part 2." Really Disney failed huge on that release schedule. Pooh could never beat Harry Potter in the box office!

The new Jungle Book is coming out on Blu-Ray this week. Should I watch it?

I would, there weren't as many original songs in this version and there are a few notable omissions (the vultures for example) although you do see them once. Overall though, I would suggest watching it.

Well, I never watched the original version either, but without that one in mind, is it a good movie? I have read the book...

Edited by PicnicBasketSam

And God forbids the prince saves the princess now....

It's for the best though. It's so tropey. I'd rather them try to tell more original stories. Plus the princes never ended up even being substantial characters in those old movies. I wish they would do another male-led "prince" movie. Aladdin was great.

Well, I never watched the original version either, but without that one in mind, is it a good movie? I have read the book...

I saw it at the theater and loved it. I'm planning on buying it. For the record, I hadn't seen the cartoon version since I was a young child.

Edited by Ultron

Lumière (Ewan McGregor) and Cogsworth (Ian McKellen)

Looks like Lumiere's face is on the stand instead of on the candle, I wonder why they changed that.

But I'm loving the ornate designs :sweet:

Yeah... Looks a little too ornate for me. What's up with that pretzel on Lumiere's head? :wacko:

The Gaston scene looks great though.

Well actually that lumiere and cogsworth are just concept art.

Looks like finished CGI to me, but I kinda hope you're right.

The new Jungle Book is coming out on Blu-Ray this week. Should I watch it?

Yes, it's definitely a good movie, one of the best blockbusters this year I'd say. The visuals are fantastic, the acting is good, and they improved the plot and action from the original. Just don't expect it to be accurate to the book. Even Screen Junkies gave it a positive trailer! :laugh:

I'm not totally against remakes, but when the original wasn't bad, it seems too cash grabby. Why does Beauty and the Beast need to be done again?

I definitely agree that these remakes are unnecessary and cash grabby, but I'm open to them as long as they turn out good like The Jungle Book. If nothing else, it's an interesting experiment to see what these animated films would look like in live action. I would prefer if they made more original movies too, but it doesn't look like the remake train is stopping anytime soon. A remake of The Little Mermaid was recently confirmed. :sceptic:

On that note, has anyone seen Pete's Dragon yet? I hear mixed things about it.

It looks good, although I would have preferred 2D. I think this looks better than other 3D Disney movies, though.

It's not that I have anything against 3D animation, but I really feel like Disney needs to have a 2D film every few years or so. It is an art form I feel Disney perfected, and I fear they are losing the talent to do it again.

I would love to see more 2D animation as well. I recently rewatched Lilo & Stitch and it reminded me how much I miss traditional animation like that. However, I think Moana looks good the way it is and think the 3D animation helps it distinguish it visually from Lilo & Stitch which also takes place in Hawaii.

I wish they would do another male-led "prince" movie. Aladdin was great.

Well, it's not a "prince movie", but Gigantic will be male-led. And so will Wreck-it-Ralph 2. :grin:

(which could potentially be a prince movie if Ralph ends up with Vanellope in the end. :tongue:)

Yeah... Looks a little too ornate for me. What's up with that pretzel on Lumiere's head? :wacko:

I agree, both Cogsworth and Lumiere look so completely overwrought that it's distracting. I can't see it looking good next to actual live action.

Still, I have hopes that it'll be good, since I'll be seeing it either way. :sceptic:

Lumiere is definitely overdesigned but Cogsworth for me looks spot on. I love his design

I wonder if this beauty and the beast will follow the song list from the original movie or the broadway production that Hugh Jackman was in (albeit in Austailia). Having been in a local arts centers production once upon a time I feel that some of the additional songs actually help. Specifically I hope they include "Me" where Gaston performed a song where he proposes to Belle but only talks about himself the whole time.

On that note, has anyone seen Pete's Dragon yet? I hear mixed things about it.

Yeah, my wife and I loved Pete's Dragon. It's a nice, old-fashioned (in the best possible way!) tale that was just magical to watch.

I wonder if this beauty and the beast will follow the song list from the original movie or the broadway production that Hugh Jackman was in (albeit in Austailia). Having been in a local arts centers production once upon a time I feel that some of the additional songs actually help. Specifically I hope they include "Me" where Gaston performed a song where he proposes to Belle but only talks about himself the whole time.

I'm pretty sure they will stick to songs from the original since that's what they're adapting, not the stage play, and it's what most people will recognize. Heck, they might even remove some songs, considering that's what they did for The Jungle Book.

Yeah, my wife and I loved Pete's Dragon. It's a nice, old-fashioned (in the best possible way!) tale that was just magical to watch.

Okay, I might have to check it out then.

The title sequence for Milo Murphy's Law featuring the theme song by Weird Al has been released! Not Al's best, but definitely still catchy! Looking forward to seeing this show when it starts in October.

Looks like I'm going to have to wait to see that opening. It seems to be region locked.