Oky

Disney Movies and TV Shows Discussion

So, there has been some Disney news lately, so I thought it would be time to start a general Disney discussion thread.

The biggest news for me is that there is a new DuckTales series coming in 2017! :sweet:

Official announcement: http://blogs.disney.com/oh-my-disney/2015/02/25/this-is-not-a-drill-were-getting-new-ducktales-in-2017/

DuckTales was my favorite show as a kid, so this is great news for me! I'm glad that a whole new generation of kids will be able to enjoy this awesome show. But at the same time, I'm worried how they will update it. Disney hardly produces any traditional animation for their TV shows anymore, so there is a good chance that it will be CGI like Mickey's Clubhouse and some of their other shows, or even worse, Flash animation like 7D *shudder*. If they put enough effort into it, I think it could actually work in CG. For example, I quite liked Scrooge's rendition in Mickey's Twice Upon a Christmas, but of course traditional animation is always preferred.

Also, I really hope they don't change the theme song. It's one of the best and catchiest theme songs ever and I feel that any deviation would ruin it.

With this and the live action Chip'n'Dale: Rescue Rangers movie next year, it seems that the Disney Afternoon is making a comeback. What other shows would you like to see return? I'm hoping for Darkwing Duck next (which I'm surprised they haven't brought back yet considering the superhero craze right now). :classic:

Oh, and we got a trailer for Frozen Fever yesterday. I'm not interested in Cinderella (I don't see the point in making live action versions of Disney cartoons), but I wouldn't mind seeing this short film.

I'm really pumped up for new Ducktales! After amazing shows like Gravity falls, Wander over Yander, and the new Star vs Foces of Evil, they can make amazing show!

I don't like Frozen myself, it's basicaly all I hated in Disney films: Badly used cliches, wrong placed songs and cheap design...

My favorite Disney movie and series overwall is...Stitch! Great 3 movies and very entertaining tv series with outstanding crossovers- Kim Possible, American Dragon, Recess...

And there is that Anime spinoff. Let's forget about it, it was horrible...

I'm sorry, but what does this have to do with Lego? As much as I like Ducktales, unless there is going to be Lego of it, I don't think this fits on this forum...

I'm sorry, but what does this have to do with Lego? As much as I like Ducktales, unless there is going to be Lego of it, I don't think this fits on this forum...

That's why it's in Culture and Multimedia. Not everything in this sub-forum has to be LEGO related, so we're free to talk about stuff like this. :-)

Anyways, I'm really pumped for the new DuckTales! Although I grew up outside of the generation of the series' original run, I still watched tons of episodes when I was little, which I loved. There's no doubt in my mind that it will be in CGI, but it could still be brilliant if done correctly. Not everything returning as CGI animation is bad (the new Ninja Turtles cartoon comes to mind). We'll see how it goes!

I don't like Frozen myself, it's basicaly all I hated in Disney films: Badly used cliches, wrong placed songs and cheap design...

My favorite Disney movie and series overwall is...Stitch! Great 3 movies and very entertaining tv series with outstanding crossovers- Kim Possible, American Dragon, Recess...

And there is that Anime spinoff. Let's forget about it, it was horrible...

How are the designs in Frozen "cheap"? And why do you think the cliches were used badly? I thought it was kind of clever how they poked fun at the cliches and put a different spin on them. But I don't want to start another Frozen flame war.

I like me some Stitch too, although I don't think any of the sequels or TV show held up to the original.

Well, TLG has a partnership with Disney and we do have Frozen and Cinderella sets. As for DuckTales and Rescue Rangers, I REALLY hope we will get sets for those too! I don't even care if they are Duplo. :laugh: Besides, this is the Multimedia forum where we can talk about any movies/shows we like.

How are the designs in Frozen "cheap"? And why do you think the cliches were used badly? I thought it was kind of clever how they poked fun at the cliches and put a different spin on them. But I don't want to start another Frozen flame war.

Fite meh! :D

But for real, go and watch it again, the animation is fluid but look carefully on textures of walls and clothes. Low ugly resolutions everywere. Anna and Elsa’s facial expressions, particularly Elsa’s, were significantly dialed back at the animation stage to prevent their faces from stretching out of shape and making them look ‘too ugly,’ producing the side effect of making them look oddly stiff. Stretching and exaggerating faces to get good overall movement is one of the basic principles of animation, and I’m concerned that Disney decided to throw it out in favor of making their women look slightly more attractive, especially since I haven’t noticed this in any other Disney Princess films.

It was pointed out by many, that Frozen uses cheap tricks to look good, and for Disney-animation lovers this is unacteptable.

As for DuckTales and Rescue Rangers, I REALLY hope we will get sets for those too! I don't even care if they are Duplo

We Need Moneybin set, filled with 10000 chrome coins! :D

So, in addition to the exciting announcement of a Tron sequel yesterday, we now also have a less surprising announcement of a Frozen sequel. Like many others, I liked the first one, and now that Elsa has her powers under control (more or less), it will be interesting to see where they take the story from here. Your thoughts?

Also, new Inside Out trailer! Oh Joy!

I have a somewhat complex thought about a Frozen sequel. We've seen some continuation for Disney classics, but most only result in direct-to-video or TV series. I hope it's not just Frozen's own commercial case so that we could see more sequels for other Disney films with good potential, like Wreck-it-Ralph.

Most princess stories draw a clear boundary that the romance part had made an end to the main story. Twist in Time was something that really jumped out of the box, but sadly it wasn't a theatrical film.

Among the other princess-related stories, I think Pixar's Brave also has a good potential to continue. Both Merida and Elsa didn't have a romantic interest (though that doesn't say it could happen in a sequel) and I believe the world outside Dunbroch could have more things to tell (so could Southern Isles).

However, Pixar might be a different case since they could make a sequel after decade, while Frozen sequel doesn't really ensure the chances for the older Disney films.

I went and saw Cinderella yesterday with my wife for her birthday, and have to say it was much better than I expected.

The story is the same old cliche, so no surprises there, but the characters didn't feel like the paper doll/cardboard cutouts that fairy tale characters often are; each character seemed well-realized in ways that surprised and delighted me. It was very well cast, and I think much of the general character depth can be attributed to Branagh's direction, even if he can be hit-or-miss sometimes.

As for the stepmother, I thought nobody could rival Angelica Huston (Ever After), but between her and Cate Blanchett the race is neck and neck. Both cruel characters but with different personalities. She was amazing to watch.

Oh, and we also saw, of course, Frozen Fever. Frozen (the actual movie), was okay despite its faults, although generally unsatisfying. Frozen Fever just felt...

...pointless.

The song was pretty instantly forgettable, and the short reeked of nothing more than a cash grab mandated by studio execs, and served no real purpose to the story, the characters, or their world.

Edited by rodiziorobs

I saw Cinderella recently too. I wasn't really interested, but I got curious after the positive reviews, so I tagged along with my family, and after seeing it, my opinion hasn't changed. It's an almost straight adaptation of the cartoon, just with less songs and some added scenes, which proves that there is no point to these live action remakes other than to make the Mouse some extra cash. But for what it is, it is fairly well made. The cast, cinematography, and production design were all pretty good, so this gives a bit more hope for the upcoming live action Beauty and the Beast, but I still wish Disney would focus more on original films like Tomorrowland. Now THAT's a movie I want to see!

As for Frozen Fever, no offense, but if you were looking for a great expansion of the story, characters, and their world, you had way too high expectations for a short film. These are just meant to be amusing little stories to add a bit of extra entertainment before the main feature and rarely add anything meaningful to their original stories. That's what the sequels are for. :wink: Granted, the music wasn't the best of the Frozen songs and all the references to the first film did seem a lot like fan service, but I thought it was fine for a short film.

As for Frozen Fever, no offense, but if you were looking for a great expansion of the story, characters, and their world, you had way too high expectations for a short film. These are just meant to be amusing little stories to add a bit of extra entertainment before the main feature and rarely add anything meaningful to their original stories. That's what the sequels are for. :wink: Granted, the music wasn't the best of the Frozen songs and all the references to the first film did seem a lot like fan service, but I thought it was fine for a short film.

Plus, if you put Frozen in front of your movie, EVERYONE'S gonna see the movie, no matter what it is. :wink: $$$

I wanted to see the new Cinderella because LOOK AT THE COSTUMES!!!! So me and my sisters went and enjoyed it. Everyone knows exactly how the story goes, but it wasn't why we went, it was told in an enjoyable way with some variety to make it interesting. A lot of happy little girls at the end and an orchestral arrangement of Lavender Blue I am dying to find a recording of.

It was fun spotting filming location bits we recognised too.

So what do you guys think of the Zootopia teaser? I think it looks fun and look forward to seeing how this turns out. Although that pun at the end was pretty painful. :tongue:

So today Disney announced that they are making a movie based on Disneyland's Jungle Cruise... starring Dwayne Johnson. I don't know what to think of this. I'm not sure this attraction really lends itself to a movie adaptation very well, and "the Rock" isn't exactly what I picture in my mind when I think of Skipper Dan. :sceptic: I don't have anything against the Rock, though, and I welcome any movie that breaks up the slew of live-action remakes of animated Disney classics.

Also, what do you guys think about Gigantic? For those who don't know, it's an animated adaptation of Jack and the Beanstalk where the giant is an 11-year old girl. Disney's latest animated movies have been very good, so I'm looking forward to this one. But seriously, that trend of using adjectives to title their movies is getting a bit silly.

The Mad Hatter would be a great companion for Alice

Cheshire Cat would be cool, then again, I haven't really watched any classic Disney films.

*oh2* !

CatM4Sci? :look:

I did watch the first.. 20 minutes of Cinderella, it was on TV a few weeks back, but it was on kind of late so I shut it off. I should probably get to watching these.

CatM4Sci? :look:

I did watch the first.. 20 minutes of Cinderella, it was on TV a few weeks back, but it was on kind of late so I shut it off. I should probably get to watching these.

Have you at least seen Mulan? Not exactly classic but still not so recent.

Have you at least seen Disney Pixar??

Ya know, like Incredibles?? Toy Story?? Finding Nemo??

Edited by Quicksilver838

Ok, I haven't seen the movies, but that doesn't mean I don't know the characters. I know the general... giant group of Disney characters.

Have you at least seen Mulan? Not exactly classic but still not so recent.

Nope. I've seen all the Pixar films except TGD, heard that was bad.

Ok, I haven't seen the movies, but that doesn't mean I don't know the characters. I know the general... giant group of Disney characters.

Nope. I've seen all the Pixar films except TGD, heard that was bad.

Good dinosaur is definitely worth a view.

Wait Duck Tales is being rebooted? (I know, I am 12 months late to the party...)

I like rerurns of that show when I was a kid but I'm not to fanatic about it. Just hope it is 2D animation and not CGI.

Also if Disney can bring back an old cartoon show; should I hope Warner Brothers does the same for Animaniacs/Pinky and the Brain? ;)

Edited by xboxtravis7992