Sign in to follow this  
Konajra

3.25m long Jutlandia (Danish Hospital ship)

Finally I can reveal what has kept me busy the last two years besides all the models I have shown. The MS Jutlandia.

Short history (wikipedia :) )

MS Jutlandia was contracted by and built for the East Asiatic Company (EAC) in 1934, as a combined passenger and cargo ship at EAC's NakskovShipyard, Denmark. Following an extended operational life in which she also served as a hospital ship and a royal yacht, she was finally decommissioned in 1965

Jutlandia was contracted by EAC in 1934, to replace older ships on the then regular service between Copenhagen and Bangkok. She operated on this route from November 1934, until January 1940, and again from 1954 to the end of 1964.

When North Korean communist forces attacked South Korea on 25 June 1950, Denmark agreed to provide assistance to the United Nations Command and to give humanitarian support to the allied forces in South Korea.

She has been to Pusan, South Korea three times and treated military personal as well megablocks civilians. Jutlandia received the Korean Presidential Unit Citation. Crew members and medical staff were officially decorated by Denmark with the Erindringsmedaljen for deltagelde i hospitalsskibet "Jutlandia"s ekspedition til Korea 1951-1953 (Commemorative Medal for Participation in the Hospitalship "Jutlandia"s Expedtion to Korea 1951-1953. (479 medals were awarded).

During LEGOworld Copenhagen 2013 the LEGO CEE team asked me to build a ship for them. They came up with the 130m long MS Jutlandia. It was build specifically for LEGOworld copenhagen 2015. What will be done with it afterwards is not yet decided.

I started searching for plans and found them in Danmark. The man who owned was so kind to send them to me so that I could start new Mlcad project. I started somewhere in april 2013 and finished the entire hull inside and outside, wheelhouse and part of the forcastle deck at the end of august 2013. The first shipment of bricks arrived in the beginning of november 2013. From that point on I have only been building with real bricks and did not continue with the Mlcad file. On and off building due to waitng for shipments of bricks I finished the entire ship in december 2014.

Designing in Mlcad took me about 5 months and the build itself took me 6 months, all evening hours. The ship is 3,25m long 43cm wide and about 1,5 m high. It consist out of 90,000- 100,000 bricks.

And last but not least, a big thanks to Ralph Savelsberg (Mad physicist) for building the studless :) helicopter. Thanks mate

And now some photos during the construction:

15885409154_928b33f9ba_c.jpg

ms Jutlandia by Konajra, on Flickr

16321694759_40ec05582d_c.jpg

16322055407_ed1d155138_c.jpg

16506242541_00a97f6328_c.jpg

15887814043_79aef37d81_c.jpg

And the final result and details:

16385841200_a5db5bc4c4_c.jpg

Jutlandia by Konajra, on Flickr

16387139249_bff2a4e96d_c.jpg

16387507887_a239e18c62_c.jpg

15950871054_a647e6f2b9_c.jpg

16547438276_2a374a04a3_c.jpg

Thanks for reading, photos of the finished ship and details taken by Are J. Heiseldal during LEGOWorld Copenhagen 2015

Edited by Konajra

Stunning! :cry_happy:

So many wonderful details to look at!

As you already know, I think it's gorgeous, and well worth your time :)

It was an honour to be allowed to take some 'official' photos. Looking forward to your next project already!

Sweet. Is it going on Kevin Hinkle's desk? :classic:

It is not yet clear where it is going to end up.

Thanks for the comments, everyone. It is appreciated

Your project is end ad a total finaly mind blowing result.

The details on it makes the Jutlandia one of your best ships jet :wub::thumbup: :thumbup:

Glad i have seen it in your livingroom for real and thanks for that :thumbup::wink: .

And edit.

I forgot to congrats you with the frontpage :blush::wink::thumbup:

Edited by VFracingteam

I'd love to make smart comment full of detailed praise on this beauty but I just lost my words... I probably need to digest i'ts size and detail for some time. Wow.

It really is a great job, totally professional and beautiful result. Would love to have a replica, but I think, that for collectors as me, a model of 70 cm would be ideal. congratulations.