Sign in to follow this  
fred-eric

Remote control old Track Switch Point 4.5V or 12V with Power Functions

I have Light Gray Train, Track 4.5V Switch Point (x878cx2 or x879cx2)

or Light Gray Train, Track 12V Switch Point (73696 or 73697)

I also have the Change-Over Unit/Light Gray Electric, Train 12V Manual Switch Motor (5079 or 73112)

Do you have already control one with a Power Function motor?

Thank you

Frederic

If PF controllers are infra-red, then this method may work:

1) Buy a simple Arduino, an LM298N motor controller, and a tsop-4828 infrared sensor

2) Wire your switch motor to the LM298N

3) Wire the LM298N to the Arduino

4) Wire the infrared sensor to the Arduino

5) Configure the infrared sensor, and use the Arduino's "serial output" mode to find out what the infrared codes are for each button on the PF controller

6) With the new codes, write a simple Arduino program to power the LM298N based on the PF controller's codes.

I have done this using a standard remote controller to control 9V motors, but not with a PF controller. I will be making tutorial videos very soon.

EDIT: Just re-read - you mean with PF Motor, not Controller! :wacko: Sorry - I only use old 9V motors on my switches :classic:

Edited by Richfilth

I think that 9V can be enough to make the motor of the switch turn. You could make a convertor cable from PF (middle two wires) to the 12V plug that goes into the motor. Hook up an IR receiver and a battery box and you're ready to go. But I'm not sure if 9V is enough to make the 12V switch motor turn...

I forgot to tell I would like to control the Switches Points using a SBrick.

Maybe I can try with 70026 12V Remote Control Switch Motor (without a cluch)

What's the advantage of using a pivoting-arm design compared to Mark Bellis' rack system? Is it simply size, or is there a mechanical advantage too?

My own design uses a rack-based gearbox with the older high-torque 9V motors, and although it's ugly I haven't had any problems with switches.

What's the advantage of using a pivoting-arm design compared to Mark Bellis' rack system? Is it simply size, or is there a mechanical advantage too?

My own design uses a rack-based gearbox with the older high-torque 9V motors, and although it's ugly I haven't had any problems with switches.

I saw your solution but I did not tested it. I only choose the pivoting-arm design because I thought 42003 will works with 73696 switch point.

I need to have a better look to Technic rack (3743)

I am not fully technically satisfied with my solution. I had to add three 16 tooth gears and 2 Axle Pin with Friction Ridges

I will try to replace the Liftarms 1 x 2 Thin with Axle Connector Double Flexible to see if I can remove the gears.

Edited by fred-eric