Sign in to follow this  
ricebucket

question about 42009 boom

I just completed the 42009 Mobile Crane today. However, I'm not sure if I attached the boom arm into the vehicle correctly.

When fully lowered, the outward end of the boom does not touch the top of the cab (cockpit?), even though there seems to be a notch there to hold the boom. There's about a 5mm clearance between the top of the cab and the bottom of the boom. Is this normal? This seems to be a rather odd "at rest" position for the crane arm, since instead of resting on the top of the vehicle, all the weight remains on the two supports and the single axle holding the crane in place.

You're correct in thinking that it is not right, as it is not. Check the connections at the top of the linear actuators, they should be in the axle hole, and not the pin hole, on the linear actuator end. Also, check the teardrop shape liftarms on the underside of the boom. Near the larger end there are 3 holes, the connection to the boom should be not in the first hole on the large end, but the second one. Book 6, steps 52-55 show the offending parts.

If the boom will lift and lower without a problem then you have it's mounted correctly. Try disconnecting the LAs and then, with the boom in the rest position, see if you can reconnect them using different holes. After I rebuilt my boom to Chis Moittie's design, I did not need the cams.

Hi, just finished my crane today and also noticed the same 0 so either we made the same mistake or there is something wrong there - yet it is only ~1 mm of difference in my case - and the boom rests between the parts preventing it to move to the side. You can gran the fron axle with the hook and get it down...

Still the LAs are mounted correctly to the boom...