Chapter 10

Chapter 11

Chapter 12

Chapter 13

Chapter 14

Chapter 15

Chapter 16

Chapter 17

They left at dawn as planned, and despite a relatively heavy fog for the first few miles of their journey they were making relatively good time. They rode for Moraelin pass, where a stout gatehouse stands, marking the border between Oros and Meldrim. The raven that Osric had sent to Meldrim explained their plan to start searching for the lost caravan of goods there, and for Count Leki to meet them there, should he be able to. The guards at the gatehouse would know if the caravan passed through unmolested. Osric suspected it had, for if the horse with the broken cart that had arrived in Osgard yesterday had come through the pass, surely he would have heard of it earlier.

“She really is a fine horse.” Cassius said once again. Osric insisted that Cassius allow his own horse to rest after travelling so far to Oros. He was allowed to use a black mare named Dancer from the stables at Osgard, who was the personal favorite of the stable master.

“She is indeed.” Osric answered. “The horses we breed here may not be quite as swift on open ground as other horses, but they can keep a very steady pace, and are second to none on the uneven terrain here at the feet of the mountains.”

They arrived at the gatehouse mid-afternoon. Osric didn’t recognize the watchman that greeted them from one of the towers, but he had apparently recognized Osric.

“Greetings Lord Osric, we’ve been expecting you. Count Leki sent us a raven saying that he was riding to meet you here.”

“I’m no Lord,” Osric answered. “Not while my father still lives.” May he live forever, he thought to himself. Osric didn’t like to be reminded that he would one day lead Oros. That was supposed to be for his brother, who had died while Osric was still young. Osric found himself thinking of his brother more and more lately.

“Of course…Sir Osric,” the guardsman had interrupted his thoughts. Count Leki should arrive soon.”

“Very well,” Osric said. “We asked to meet Count Leki here because the last caravan of goods out of Meldrim has gone missing. Did it come through here on schedule?”

“I know nothing of its planned schedule, but it did come through, 4 days past I believe.”

“How can that be?” asked Cassius. “Would they not have stayed on the main road to Osgard? We found no sign of them on the way here.”

“True,” Osric answered, “but this early spring caused some minor flooding through some of the lower areas here. It wasn’t enough to stop us from riding through, but a caravan of several wagons would have likely taken—“

“The Old Road,” finished Count Leki as he arrived, swinging down from his horse to walk under the low gate. “I received word that there had been some flooding, so the caravan was instructed to travel the old road through the forest to avoid it. It seems that was a mistake.”

“A mistake you could not have helped,” Osric said. “Count Leki, with me is Duke Cassius of Burnby. He was visiting us in Oros when one horse pulling a broken wagon arrived, and wanted to help us investigate.”

“Then Meldrim and I are in your debt, Duke Cassius,” Leki said with a bow before returning to the back of his horse. “However, the sooner we leave, the sooner we figure out what happened here.”

“Agreed,” Osric said, as he turned his horse around and set a good pace back down toward the Old Road. Whatever happened to the caravan, they should be able to find a sign of it easy enough. Dealing with whatever caused its disappearance however, might not be.

16621446031_9a865c62ee_c.jpg

16622565115_a2009a565a_c.jpg

16436768979_bc38f43896_c.jpg

I was quite pleased with the overall look of this build, although I think the scale is off. I wanted to build the towers a little taller so the gate was larger, but used up all the masonry bricks I currently own. Either way, I hoped you enjoyed the build and story. More to come!

Edited by MiloNelsiano

They're nice towers, but the gate is a little low- perhaps having the figs on foot, rather than on horse would work better?

As others have mentioned the gate is a bit short but the towers are good and your rockwork is really nice! :thumbup:

Very nice rockwork!!

I am still trying to find out how the 3 horses managed to get past the gate :classic:

Nice build! The towers and rockwork look very good! I am actually ok with the height of the gate, it makes sense since a low gate would force incoming travlers to slow and have to dismount instead of being able to ride through without stoping. That being said, I think the riders should have been leading their horses through the gate on foot, not riding through. Also you say you have no more masonry bricks, but I think you could incorporate some regular light gray bricks along with the textured bricks.

Excellent clean build! But as others have stated the low archway looks a bit low with the guy on the horse coming from it....

Thanks for the comments guys. I wasn't a big fan of how low the arch looked myself, but thought it would pass as a deterrent to keep people from moving through too quickly. The story explains that the figure in back dismounted to walk under the gate, before remounting and following the others who simply turned around, never going through the gate. It might now have been written very clearly though I suppose.

Nice build! The towers and rockwork look very good! I am actually ok with the height of the gate, it makes sense since a low gate would force incoming travlers to slow and have to dismount instead of being able to ride through without stoping. That being said, I think the riders should have been leading their horses through the gate on foot, not riding through. Also you say you have no more masonry bricks, but I think you could incorporate some regular light gray bricks along with the textured bricks.

I did think of putting mixing in some plain bricks as well, but too late. Not wanting to rebuild I left it.

Nice build, MiloNelsiano!

The colors and texturing for the stone towers is very visually appealing to me! The stones and lanscaping really compliment the build well!

Very pretty scene, the gatehouse looks great :thumbup: The semi-low gate doesn't bother me that much, but I do wonder where the doors are :look:

Very nice concept and execution. I really like the profile brick towers. I would use them more myself, but they are take far too many profile bricks to go much bigger than one or two towers.

That's a lot of masonry bricks! I like the visual effect they create with the stacked round plates. Nice job with the rockwork as well.