sparkart

[MOC] WIP modifying LEGO 75095 UCS TIE fighter

^Huh? Hasn't he just presented us the picture of finished model?

Anyway, I relly like how it turned out. I'm sure that It will be even better with propper dark bley round pieces and new windscreed, yet this dish looks surprisingly well on it already. It's great how quickly have you managed to put it together. I wish I were somewhere closer to Carlsbad than I actually am :D (Europe).

^Huh? Hasn't he just presented us the picture of finished model?

Wow I must be blind, I missed that last post.

I'm very impressed by the build and size of it!

Iam probably the fool here. The ingnorant 1. Whats LDD, a lego design prog? And Sparkart it looks great. I only build boxed Star Wars lego sets and thats sometimes already difficult for me. Fat fingers, lol.

Chapeau......

Paddy, yes, I plan to use two printed/decorated dish pieces from the new UCS TIE, the top hatch, and the cockpit window on this model. On the bottom, there's already a printed/decorated dish, a 6x6 Sith Infiltrator dish. The two red lines on this piece add a dash of color (albeit hard to see) and look like some kind of special hash mark, or special squadron ID to me.

Paulie, LDD is an acronym for Lego Digital Designer, LEGO's own (free) CAD program. I know what you mean about difficult to build sets. I'd rate this model of the Interceptor on the difficult side. If you make a mistake while building (which I did many times), to take some things apart is a difficult, because there's a lot of plate-on-plate construction and/or many studs holding pieces together, so when you finally get enough force to pull things apart, it's sometimes explosive force that sends LEGO pieces flying across the room.

Just from the LDD image in the UCS TIE thread, I BL ordered most of the round plates and bricks that I could see...

You've been busy since then.

I snagged the first available offerings on Bricklink

for this part,

3961pb06.jpg

and this part,

3961pb05.jpg

These are the only parts I need to truly call this TIE Interceptor model complete, or as I like to say, "plateaued". Many LEGO MOCs evolve as you learn new tricks or new pieces are introduced, so they're never really "done", but have just reached a plateau of completion, a point at which they typically stay for a while, know what I mean?

If you are around the Los Angeles area on May 16th-17th, you can see this model on display at BricksLA in the vendor room (but not for sale).

When I get the printed dish parts, I'll try to take and publish more pictures of the completed model on Flickr.

Great, just great! A really fine MOC, Congratulations.

I think if the interior was build from DBG or even black parts it would look even better as the windshield would appear darker.

Thanks for the kind words, guys, and thanks for checking it out!

Racker, regarding those sagging cantilevered parts...yes, I actually think some UCS models are too big for the manufactured material properties, but I guess that's part of the appeal of large models, pushing the limit of LEGO buildability.

H_Solo, it's hard to see, but there is a black pilot in the cockpit. I lined the cockpit in white pieces to get light to bounce around so the pilot would stick out more, but the light reflection from the front canopy glass pretty much obscures everything inside.

"All in the Reflexes" (reference to Jack Burton? Who? Jack Burton. Me! I love that movie (Big Trouble in Little China)), yes, those flat silver parts stick out a bit annoyingly. In bright light, at the right angle, and if you squint, those pieces look like light bley. Sorta.

My next experiment is to fit this cockpit ball and pylons onto the 75095 UCS TIE Fighter panels.

Edited by sparkart

"All in the Reflexes" (reference to Jack Burton? Who? Jack Burton. Me! I love that movie (Big Trouble in Little China)),

"Have you paid your dues Jack? yes sir the cheque is in the mail!" Brilliant film :D

First I was like "What!? you paid 15 euros for just one piece twice?" And then you couldn't wait and bought a UCS Tie either way?

That's quite expensive, you must have been very eager to complete your MOC!

It looks fabulous nevertheless! :thumbup: The cockpit screen looks a tad too small, but in comparison with reference images it looks negligible.

Absolute brillance with the use of those quarter circular pieces.

To me, this is the best rendition of the Tie in Lego form yet.

keep on building man~! =)

First I was like "What!? you paid 15 euros for just one piece twice?" And then you couldn't wait and bought a UCS Tie either way? That's quite expensive, you must have been very eager to complete your MOC!

Yeah, I was really trying to avoid buying a whole TIE Fighter, and figured spending 15% to get the parts I wanted was better than spending 100%. BUT THEN! I saw the TIE Fighter in my local LEGO shop and was so captivated by it. It's close to a studio scale model size. I figured, even if I don't use the ball and pylons out-of-the-box, I will have a use for light bley slopes in the future.

Wow! Sorry for a late comment, but this is just amazing! I'm working on a UCS Interceptor right now, but I don't think it will come out as amazing as yours! Excellent work!

Thanks for checking it out and for the kind words. I'd be interested to see another UCS Interceptor! Mine sags. Sounds like a personal problem, I know, but I'm wondering if there's a better way to make the dagger wings at the root where they join the pylons so they resist the torque forces better.

Thanks. Although, I'm pretty much just making the wings and attaching them to the official UCS TIE Fighter "pod". Then I'm planning on submitting it on LEGO Ideas.