sparkart

[MOC] WIP modifying LEGO 75095 UCS TIE fighter

I came out of my decades-long Dark Age in 2009 and missed out on all the big LEGO UCS TIE fighters. So, I am really looking forward to the new UCS TIE (75095) designed by Olav Krøigaard. I'm impressed by the size of it, the engineering and ingenuity it takes to build larger structures in LEGO, and it looks nice overall. It's got an accurate shape, proportions, and details that captures the classic TIE fighter design.

I've been collecting, building, painting, destroying, and playing with TIE fighter toys and models since I was a kid back in the 70s, so to me, the TIE fighter looks a certain way - a combination of a round ball and straight edge angular pylons connected to big solar panels. I think Jerac nailed it in LEGO. Ever since I saw Jerac's TIE, I've wanted to build a LEGO TIE fighter like it, but just never got around to it. The new UCS TIE (75095) got me motivated to plan a build inspired by Jerac's and Olav's work.

I wanted to replicate the differing shape of roundness versus angular edges on the TIE:

16599449465_6f12946f48_z.jpg

WIP LEGO 75095 UCS TIE cockpit modification by SPARKART!, on Flickr.

After a bit, I got bored with just a seat in the cockpit, so I put a minifig in. That didn't look quite right to me, so I made a brick-built pilot:

16428641899_a0e1172c8e_z.jpg

WIP LEGO 75095 UCS TIE modification by SPARKART!, on Flickr.

The brick-built pilot is "permanently" placed, not designed to be removed. I lined the inside with white LEGO to bounce around what little light can get into the cockpit. When I build this for real, I hope the pilot can be seen.

15992264124_04100f6dc9_z.jpg

WIP LEGO 75095 UCS TIE modification cutaway by SPARKART!, on Flickr

The pilot in the cockpit is about 1/20th to 1/24th scale, based on the assumption that the standard LEGO minifig is about 1/48th scale.

16427350248_386b37b69d_z.jpg

WIP LEGO 75095 UCS TIE modifcation sizing by SPARKART!, on Flickr.

15992357754_982fda1b77_z.jpg

What scale are LEGO minifig helmets? by SPARKART!, on Flickr.

Edited by sparkart

I quite like it, and the pilot makes it more enjoyable for the eye!

One thing I am unsure of is the radar dish on top, it almost appears to be like a hat than part of the roundness of the ship...?

Wow, I really like that big TIE pilot. The lack of the oversized helmet on the minifig gives the pilot a much more realistic look, adding to the overall build. I hope to see more!

When I tried to figure why lego designer didn't use some fancy technique like you did, I haven't managed to come up with any reasons but one: The structural integrity. In 'flying mode' when both wings are hanging in the air, I think that the torque on the sphere is quite high. I'm not sure if any somution without rigid central link is rigid enough to take such a load without to much stress on some parts.

Besides that, it's really cool and visually much better than the original. I agree with Fuppy regarding the top dish - using the one with 6 stud diameter might look better.

Thanks for checking it out, guys!

Fuppylodders, that dish on top...the first thing I did was arrange the printed piece elements used on the UCS TIE - the clear front canopy and the decorated hatch on top - onto an imaginary sphere suggested by their curvature. Then, I just tried to find pieces to fill in the rest. I definitely want to use that printed top hatch piece from the set, and make the hatch open, so light can get into the cockpit, and make it possible to see the pilot.

krisandkris12, yes, I know what you mean about structural considerations. When I started taking out structure to make room for an interior, I tried to leave behind a reinforced shell of interconnected pieces. The stud orientation of this build is almost all on the sides, which, generally, makes for stiffer construction when the primary force applied is gravity. It's easy to bend a LEGO plate in the Z-axis, but not so easy in the X and Y-axis. With most of pieces in this build on their side, I'm hoping they'll resist bending and separation better.

But it's hard to tell, until you make it with real bricks. I've built stuff in LDD, that just won't work, or is very, very difficult to build. This little build of the Ghost from Rebels,

12738796433_877a30f781_m.jpg

is frustratingly difficult to assemble. Once it's together, it's pretty solid. It's a totally "legal" build, the LEGO pieces fit snugly to hold it all together, but until you lock that last piece in, it's like a little LEGO grenade that'll explode in a hundred pieces as you try to push parts into their place.

I watched the LEGO Designer video a few times, trying to discern how to attach the panels, which I intend to re-use with no modification. It was somewhat of a bear to figure out, because the official version is apparently built primarily studs up, but this modifcation is built studs forward and back. I cobbled something together that should fit, but I won't know if it'll work physically until I get more parts. Also reworked some of shapes, trying to more closely resemble the studio model:

16443262619_e1ed8cc52e_z.jpg

LEGO 75095 UCS TIE modification by SPARKART!, on Flickr.

Back side:

16629055275_7922bf6a57_z.jpg

LEGO 75095 UCS TIE modification by SPARKART!, on Flickr.

Thanks for the feedback, seriously. I'm assuming "hngggggggggggg" is a kind of expression of "hmmmm...not seeing it" (apologies for not being up-to-speed on what you kids are using for slang on the Internet these days. :) ) I think it's not conveying the shape convincingly? Let's try something else...

Here's the rear using a Fabuland tub:

16635396662_b2c18204ef.jpg

LEGO 75095 UCS TIE modification Fabuland tub by SPARKART!, on Flickr.

Cleaner, but still...not completely accurate in size and shape. I find it somewhat...acceptable. What do you think?

Edited by sparkart

That back area........hngggggggggggggg

What?

BTW, that modified UCS Tie looks great! And your imperial probe droid looks evev better! I will give it a try as soon as I have time!

Edited by legocharles

Thanks for the feedback, seriously. I'm assuming "hngggggggggggg" is a kind of expression of "hmmmm...not seeing it" (apologies for not being up-to-speed on what you kids are using for slang on the Internet these days. :) ) I think it's not conveying the shape convincingly? Let's try something else...

Here's the rear using a Fabuland tub:

-snip-

LEGO 75095 UCS TIE modification Fabuland tub by SPARKART!, on Flickr.

Cleaner, but still...not completely accurate in size and shape. I find it somewhat...acceptable. What do you think?

hhhnnnngggg is used as a positive thing, it implies he's getting off on how nice it looks. He wasn't saying you need to change it haha.

Edited by TheRacker

Yes theracker is right, I'm not sure how accurate the first version of the back is but it looks fantastic.

edit: I found a really nice ref image, again I can't comment on the accuracy of this to the film models . tie2.jpg?w=1100

Edited by atlas

I stayed up a little past my bedtime working on this:

16661718961_37fdf1d332_z.jpg

LEGO TIE Interceptor by SPARKART!, on Flickr.

It's not as time consuming as you'd think. With all the symmetry, you've just gotta figure out about 1/4 of the whole thing, then just copy and paste the rest. My sense is that 65% of this will work as it is planned, now. I've never built anything from my LDD plans that didn't require some kind of re-work when building in real-brick. LEGO is pretty lightweight, but there's some cantilever structure in this model that's got me concerned. I think it'll be a fragile model, if it's even buildable, at all.

If there's nothing but one 4x3 plate hinge than I'm quite confident those triangular panels won't hold in place very well. Otherwise, regarding deaign, it came out pretty well. Looks a bit dull without windscreen printing but still cool and I think it would look even better in real without all these digital edges.

Yes,I agree - there's three of those 4 x 3 hinge plates holding up each of those bent triangular panels. Those hinge plate are what I've got on hand in my paltry LEGO collection, so I'm going to try those first in real brick. There's actually room for up to 11 click hinges. I suspect I'll have to beef up the structure with more click hinges, we'll see, hopefully soon. Definitely need the printed dishes from the official set of 75095 to make it look right. I can't wait to get my hands on some real brick and see how this thing might work in real life. Thanks for checking it out!

Edited by sparkart

16683825812_69992c5b90.jpg

Tie me up! Tie me down! by SPARKART!, on Flickr.

The donut-like pieces are not light bley. LEGO calls the color Silver Metallic (315), Bricklink calls it Flat Silver. In bright light, that shape in that color looks close enough to light bley for me, but in subdued lighting, looks out-of-place on the model to my eyes. Can't find those pieces in light bley, so it's easy to make a decision, when you don't have a choice, and Flat Silver it is.

The torque from the hanging panels is supported by the sides of many studs, so it's not just a clutch or friction connection that holds up the wings, it is a mechanical connection.

I've tried a couple of different solutions to stand-in for the cockpit window, until I can get that piece from the UCS TIE, and they all look terrible. Any suggestions? Just wait for the UCS TIE? Ok.

Edited by sparkart

That piece doesn't exist as trans-black yet so I would just wait for the release if I were you. Looks pretty good without it

Really good job! I can't wait to see this completed and in the flesh. I think it'll end up looking better than TLGs.

Wow, I'm impressed, especially with the roundness of the cockpit! At first I didn't like the pilot, but it is growing on me, it would be interesting to see other figs at that scale.

16520307717_0a6a5ebf92.jpg

LEGO TIE Interceptor by SPARKART!, on Flickr.

If you're near Carlsbad, California this weekend (2015-03-07), this model will be on display in Legoland's Star Wars Days Fan Gallery.

Even with the little mini-fig, it's hard to get a sense of size of this thing in still photos. When Olav pulled out the UCS TIE in the LEGO Designer Video, I was immediately wowed by the size of it in relation to him and his partner in the video. Similarly with this, when I see photos of it, they don't convey the size of it real life. When I was putting it together in real brick, I knew it would be large, but still, seeing it all together...I like it!

Edited by sparkart

I've been watching this topic for a few days now, and it's impressive how quickly you got it build in LDD. I can't wait to see it build :)