Lukasguy

Bricklinking UCS Imperial Star Destroyer

Hey y'all

I bought the lego imperial star destroyer a couple of months ago to display because I love to glaze at an Imperial star destroyer. After a while I realised that the set 6211 really lacks in detail. So I thought I would mod it to make it look better. So I started browsing some pictures of the imperial star destroyer to get some ideas.

I then came across the UCS Imperial star destroyer and remembered it existed. I then realised that my 6211 SD would never look as epic as this one. So I went to rebrickable to see how many pieces I already had. I have 69% :sweet: . But I didn't want to destroy my at-at 4483 so now I still have 67% :laugh:

I printed the parts list and started collecting the pieces I need and circled the ones I still have to buy from bricklink.

I then realised I only have 1356 pieces. thats about 33%.

So I have to buy a lot more. I made a wanted list from the pieces I need and started looking for the stores to buy the pieces from.

The total cost is about 450€ which I will gladly pay for an epic star destroyer.

I won't buy pieces that are 30€ per piece, so I just bought them in a different color and I will just paint them. That saved me a lot of money. I didn't buy the tan magnet holders because they are 20€ per piece and I need 14 of them, so I'll just buy a different kind of holder.

I won't buy the pieces for the tantive IV, I'll just make it with the pieces I have.

I now only have to pay some stores and then the waiting game can begin.

Thanks for reading.

(can somebody tell me how to upload a picture? )

Uploading a picture is pretty easy, depending on what image host you use. You need to have them uploaded somewhere on the Internet to post deep link them here. If you don't have an image site, I would suggest Flickr, because it's really easy to post from there. If you have them anywhere else on the Internet, you need to copy the image URL and then in Eurobricks, hit the little image button in the editor, and paste the link there. If you use Flickr, then you can get a link by hitting the export button, choose BB code (I think that's what it's called...) and pick you size. Copy the link and just paste it into your text box. I hope this made sense and or helped you! If you have any questions just ask.

Uploading a picture is pretty easy, depending on what image host you use. You need to have them uploaded somewhere on the Internet to post deep link them here. If you don't have an image site, I would suggest Flickr, because it's really easy to post from there. If you have them anywhere else on the Internet, you need to copy the image URL and then in Eurobricks, hit the little image button in the editor, and paste the link there. If you use Flickr, then you can get a link by hitting the export button, choose BB code (I think that's what it's called...) and pick you size. Copy the link and just paste it into your text box. I hope this made sense and or helped you! If you have any questions just ask.

Brickshelf (http://www.brickshelf.com) is also a decent image hosting site. It does require the kind of steps listed above, but it is completely anonymous (if you care about that sort of thing). However, it has been known to go down for maintenance often and for long periods of time.

Edited by VK-318

The total cost is about 450€ which I will gladly pay for an epic star destroyer.

I won't buy pieces that are 30€ per piece, so I just bought them in a different color and I will just paint them. That saved me a lot of money. I didn't buy the tan magnet holders because they are 20€ per piece and I need 14 of them, so I'll just buy a different kind of holder.

I won't buy the pieces for the tantive IV, I'll just make it with the pieces I have.

What kind of magnet holder did you buy? I'm not aware of any mod using different parts that would work with the ISD... that's why no one bricklinks it.

I'm just using the same black holder that's in the frame. I'll fix these to the panels and voila

16609053181_92bbf43795_z_d.jpg

The blue holder is attached to the frame and the red one is attached to the side panel. This is how I will replace the expensive tan parts.

This should work perfectly.

I'll start by trying to attach them like this

Jrsb6vym.jpg

If that doesn't hold I'll just reinforce it a bit.

When I can't seem to find a way to make them stay attached I'll just use glue. That should be strong enough.

Keep in mind the weight of the plates is enough that it actually warps the 1x16 technic beams over time without reinforcement/modding. It's a very heavy set.

Keep in mind the weight of the plates is enough that it actually warps the 1x16 technic beams over time without reinforcement/modding. It's a very heavy set.

The bow definitely starts drooping over time. I had the set on display from 2004-2012, then rebuilt it and flipped the interior over to straighten out the bends in the technic structure.

But I'd like a more permanent solution. Do you have pics of this mod?

You can see a bit of it in my brickshelf picture. I moved the display leg forward to the middle of the docking bay so that it centered over where the beams meet. This creates better weight leverage, and there's already space for it so it's very easy.

After that, I made bunch of the clamps that the original design uses to hold the technic structure together. I don't remember how many exactly, but it was probably around 20. Two in the back by the engines, two on the sides, two on the internal middle cross spine, and the rest on the main middle support spine. I placed them across wherever two beams met. Then lastly I just added some plate to the top and bottom of the main the main spine. All basic parts, and the colors don't really matter.

This takes away any ability for the beams to flex away from each other, and should prevent warping in the long term.

Yesterday I checked the status of my orders and finally they are all shipped :laugh:

When I came home, some orders already arrived :sweet:

I had 3 packages but not the parts I need to start building.

Hopefully some more will arrive after the weekend.

Have a good one guys.

I have so much respect for anyone that bricklinks these large sets. I attempted to BL the UCS snowspeeder and simply gave up due to the insane prices for the windscreens electing to wait for a cheap one topop on ebay. Over the years I have been stalking the ISD on ebay and every now and then (maybe 2 twice a year) you will see a good partial lot come up that nobody is paying attention to. I recently saw the top section go for under $200. Back on topic, Good luck and happy building! its a fun build and quite bigger than you think its going to be...

I "finally" received the orders that I needed to get started.

While the build was not very long, I enjoyed every second of it watching the frame grew bigger and bigger in size :laugh:

KusV6mom.jpg

I then realised I still needed some pieces for the frame. I just wrote down the ones I still need and called It a day just before I had to use the magnet parts. (I also haven't received those yet.)

I'm pleased with the size of the frame. This already gives me a small idea how big the ship will become :grin:

NlLm35Qm.jpg

I already look forward to building the rest

I have received an order that wasn't fully correct. I have already contacted the seller.

Moral of the short story: Control the amount and size of your bricks :wink:

Thanks for reading

A nice start. Isn't that frame huge? And the ship ends up being a lot bigger than the frame. :wink:

Time for an update

I received all packages from Bricklink. Now I only need the Pick A Brick order and then I can continue with the panels and finish the ship.

4YcxDaOm.jpgnDGoTkVm.jpg

You can see that the engines are in a completely different color. If you don't you're probably blind. I didn't want to pay 30$ for one piece so I bought them in a different color.

Also I ordered two cans of spray paint. One can of RAL 7040. It's supposed to look like Light Bluish Grey. And RAL 7031. It should be like Dark Bluish Grey.

I hope the last order will arrive soon. Then I can finish this epic ship.

Edited by Lukasguy

You can probably see that the engines are in the completely color. If you don't your probably blind. I didn't want to pay 30$ for one piece so I bought them in a different color.

Looks like its coming along nicely. Good idea spray painting the wheels. Took a look on bricklink i cant believe that they cost $30 each. Some I saw go as high as $60. Lego needs to make more sets with huge light-bluish grey wheels

Edited by Outworlder

I often wonder why TLG does not use parts more frequently. Take the LBG antenna, they used it on several sets and then gave up on it to use LBG base and a black antenna when the LBG antenna would look so much better. But at some point the decided to stop making them and they stuck to their decision. I understand some parts like the mast pieces on the MF or in this case the large wheels on the ISD.... I say paint away my friend, it will look just as good and you will have spent half the cash!!!

I'll give a comparison when I'm done spray painting.

Hopefully I'll receive the last package tomorrow.

Nice one! Looking good so far!

I'd be very interested in your total cost, as I was offered a complete mint set for a little under 900€, which seem all right but is still a lot of money!

My two cans of spray paint arrived today.

I started spraying the 4 wash tubs and they look great.

T8xEPxCl.jpg

This is one tub near a real light bluish grey piece.

xF5rY1Rl.jpg

Here it is stacked on another light bluish grey piece. These two should attach to the back frame to form the backup engines.

I'm really happy with the result. I can't tell the two colours apart.

I'm still busy with the main engines, these take longer because they're bigger.

So far I'm happy with the result

Until next time