SkaForHire

Traitors at Trade Day (Challenge IV Prelude, Chapter 5)

Traitors at Trade Day (Challenge IV Prelude, Chapter 5)

Previous Prelude chapters:

Chapter 1

Chapter 2

Chapter 3

Chapter 4

Traitors at Trade Day

16587800755_9a81c2b340_z.jpgsandsend by skaforhire, on Flickr

16561796486_b39ae3b2d7_z.jpgsandendonmap by skaforhire, on Flickr

Lady Phlici Maderni of Sand's End stretched as she exited the Crown Inn. This was what was left of the Maderni fortune, her husband, killed at Queenscross during the battle against Revolword’s forces, had spent most of it trying to rebuild Sand’s End and defend its people. Now, the current drought in southern Avalonia and Northern Kaliphlin left the region a ghostly semblance of its former self. All her money was tied up in this Inn, that nobody ever visited. She was still the Lady of Sand’s End, and she still sat on the Council of Lords of Kaliphlin, although her husband had once been a High Lord. However, by the look of today’s trade day, perhaps Sand’s End would no longer qualify for even a spot on the lower council.

One the first defense against northern aggression, Sand’s End had lost that importance and the council money for defense, when Northwall – a smaller, yet more fortified town to the north -- was annexed over a hundred years ago. Now the guild soldier called that town home, and kept the borders safe from bandits. Except… they weren’t. The Revolword War, the drought, the Drow, and now the Great Disturbance had taken a toll on Kaliphlin. The council sent less money and soldiers to Northwall, not at all to Sand’s End. The Lord of Northwall, Pryor Rhodes, barely sent the troops at his disposal out on patrol, and now Avalonian raiders, Centaurs from the Cedrican plains, and sand bandits cropped up all over Northern Kaliphlin. Her own men, the few she could afford, had to stay within the formable walls of Sand’s End to keep order within the town – they could not be spared to save the countryside. The Trade Day was the most recent casualty to the ongoing troubles in the region.

16587819795_999839a9cb_z.jpgDSC_1540 by skaforhire, on Flickr

16586618431_fc1719bb07_z.jpgDSC_1533 by skaforhire, on Flickr

As she strode out the door she was met by her Clerk and Mayor, Ronalo Suarn, a Varlyrian immigrant. He was always asking her to tighten her wallet, or else “the city will surely fall without due frugalness.” Today was no different. “My lady,” he said without bowing, “The payment for the guards is overdue!” W

“I know, you will find we have this month’s wages in the strongbox in the inn.” She walked past Stelvin Crow, the last farmer within her domain. Stelvin was still trying to sell his gigantic carrots, but everyone in Sand’s End was sick of Carrot stew. When she ignored him, he almost attacked Ronalo.

“Sir! These are the best Carrots in all of Historica!” He shouted in the mayor’s face. She tuned them out and noticed a strange pale man bowing to her. She had never seen him before.

She moved to talk to Olgie Artsonbrose, the local fine craftsmen and jewler. Every week he swore he was not coming back to the market day. “No customers worth a grain of salt! And I haven’t seen a ducat in weeks, so I would be happy to receive salt!” He claimed last week. She looked around the market, nobody had even rented the large wall stalls and many tables were empty of wares– this was getting bad indeed.

16400585908_d7afb51105_z.jpgDSC_1543 by skaforhire, on Flickr

She finally noticed her one-eyed guard captain, Smaley Al’Green, behind her. He was her only bodyguard nowadays. Olgie’s wares were fine, but also the same wares she had seen last week… and the week before… and the week before that. It looked like he really hadn’t moved any merchandise these last few trade days.

She turned to Smaley, “Do you know who the man with the funny hat was? Where is he selling from?”

“M’ladee” he said in one drawn out word, “ I am’nt aquainted wit da place he claims to call home, Ulanta I think?” he cleared his throat, “ But there’s ‘nother merch from tha place too. He brings books.”

Books? She thought, incredible! She had not had a new book in her hand since her last visit to Petraea.

She next went to Nelva’s table.

16400788450_3b6f549b5a_z.jpgDSC_1545 by skaforhire, on Flickr

Nelva’s pitch was new. “I’ve got what this town needs, a baby mummy! He is the son of the risen Desert King!” She exclaimed. “ Only 100 Ducats! Think of the power you will bring to this town My Lady!”

IF Only Nelva knew that Phlici barely had 100 ducats left, and by the turnout today, it looks like nobody would be staying in the inn tonight, and the receipts from table and stall rentals will be almost non-existent.

Instead of answering Nelva directly, she turned to Ronalo, who was still being harassed by Stelvin, and said “Check if Nelva has the proper permit to sell ‘mummies’ within Kaliphlin Borders.”

Nelva breathed quickly, an audible snort and blurted “well, maybe it is not a real baby mummy.”

Phlici moved on to the Avalonian selling wine and beer. She hated that the only trader making money today was from Avalonia. She knew that Kendrick had free passage from the Avalonian raiders who now controlled the Cedrica Road. The same raiders that have kept her from making the last two council meetings. She turned to Smaely and said “Make sure that we collect all the taxes from this one.”

16400582418_8511829cbb_z.jpgDSC_1546 by skaforhire, on Flickr

She bypassed the funny man with the weird hat’s table, it was basic prettys, but nothing she desired, and moved to the book cart.

16401939849_ca38b18b42_z.jpgDSC_1553 by skaforhire, on Flickr

“Greetings M’Lady, a caped man with a hook said with a very heavy southern Kaliphlin accent. “Are you a fan of the great works? I have many indeed.” He gave her a quick smile, but she was already thumbing through the titles.

Edwin Kalphrate’s Seven Great Battles of Kaliphlin --- first edition!!!!

Kaliphlin Proverbs and other short stories, author unknown.

1001 Tales of Princess Ali’De Shek

Curlzon’s Greater Plane of Existence

Smaley interrupted her. “I don’t like his slave.” He whispered to Phlici. Smaley didn’t like slaves in general, and Phlici refused to let them be traded within the town limits as her own distaste for the institution was widely known. However, they were allowed to come into the city. She glanced over and noticed a Leander man staring down Smaley – He had many scars, and did look on edge. However, she went back to look at the titles.

Finally she asked “ Where are you from?”

“I am one of First Centurion’s subjects.” He replied.

“Who?”

“I am from Ulandus”

She looked at him hard now. “The sunken city?”

“Much more than a city my lady, and we were never sunk, just lost. But that has all changed.” He smiled.

Well, wherever this fool came from, he had some great books – many that had dates of publication hundreds of years ago that she had not heard of!

He glee was then interrupted as Smaley threw her to the ground.

16586593151_05d31db0cf_z.jpgDSC_1555 by skaforhire, on Flickr

From the copse of trees came a very quick man, Phlici could not get a good look, but she was fairly sure he was Avalonian. Smaley parried the man’s blows as the Leander Slave jumped in front of his master who hit the ground also. Before she knew it the would-be assassin was dashing away with Smaley in pursuit.

16587131412_559a4c911b_z.jpgDSC_1556 by skaforhire, on Flickr

Ronalo grabbed her and got her back inside the inn, where they bolted the door – definitely not making any money today, she thought wryly to herself.

16586929041_523f080f26_z.jpgchoose by skaforhire, on Flickr

Edited by SkaForHire

I must say, all these preludes are really building up to something here....nice build!

It's all kicking off! Very nice use of colors and a gripping story.

Nice build Ska, I like the various colors used. The different trader stalls are neat too! :thumbup:

Impressive walls and a great market layout :thumbup: I like the book salesman with mobile library.

And the story just keeps getting more interesting :classic:

Great story. Love the bit about the baby mummy and the well thought-out comments from all the merchants. How trustworthy are these Ulandians? They definitely moved into Kaliphlin fast.