coaster

Custom 9V tracks

Wow, these are looking fantastic! The removable rack is a great solution to get the most functionality out of them. I'm excited for them to "hit the shelves!"

Well, with the removable rack, we do have some flexibility here, so other switch mechanisms could certainly be developed. Overall feedback though is pretty positive towards the turntable approach. Don't forget, the axle hole goes all the way through, so you could easily motorize it from the bottom. And a few pieces on top should be fine. Remember, cars and engines won't swing out as fall on these.

First off, I think I said this before, but just in case, I am only giving my 2c to add one additional fraction of goodness on an already fantastic idea, so please do not take my persistence as displeasure.

I don't think most folks are even thinking about remote controlled switches yet. It is a major pain in the !@#$% to remotely control lego switches but with these it could become super easy. Whether slider or turntable, the current designs do not go far enough to ease automation. If you stick with the turn table, could you add a row of studs or technic holes on either side of the turntable (uptrack and downtrack, but to save width, probably not further away from the track).

Yep, already set up that way:

26109915533_d4808caf74_c.jpg

Nice, so that preserves the 16 studs center to center for adjacent tracks, but offsets the tracks by a few studs that will be easily filled with a new spacer piece, right?

First off, I think I said this before, but just in case, I am only giving my 2c to add one additional fraction of goodness on an already fantastic idea, so please do not take my persistence as displeasure.

I don't think most folks are even thinking about remote controlled switches yet. It is a major pain in the !@#$% to remotely control lego switches but with these it could become super easy. Whether slider or turntable, the current designs do not go far enough to ease automation. If you stick with the turn table, could you add a row of studs or technic holes on either side of the turntable (uptrack and downtrack, but to save width, probably not further away from the track).

Of course! I don't want to release something that people aren't going to love, so any and all feedback is welcome. One thing that I haven't made evident is even without the above mechanism, the switch can be automated through purist means. The throw-arm in the base that shuttles back and forth has a hole in each end that is 3.2mm, or, the diameter of antennas, tubes, rods, etc. Basically, if a minifig hand can hold it, it'll fit. I've also modified my switch such that the stroke distance is 8mm, or 1 stud exactly. if you build a mechanism that can move a rod by 1 stud lock-to-lock, you're good. I'd suggest starting with one of these, but you're free to use whatever.

Nice, so that preserves the 16 studs center to center for adjacent tracks, but offsets the tracks by a few studs that will be easily filled with a new spacer piece, right?

Yep, the offset is from the switches being only 40 studs long, so with a 1/2 length straight, which will be available (in fact, I've already built a couple for myself to go around my son's room), you will be in perfect alignment at 16 studs apart.

Of course, to accomplish this, the curve angle is slightly greater than 22.5°, so with each switch, I'll be providing 2x unique curve segments to get you back to either 0° or 45° (sidings or turnouts). That's the only weirdness with these, and it's simply a math problem of constraining to the stud grid. Does this make sense? As I get further along, I'll provide a cut sheet detailing how curve segments are notated and to be used.

Well, coaster, no more doubts, a 9V half-length segment will totally solve my issue mentioned.

As zephyr said, the connection between two paralell track with the offset of 16 studs is really missed from 9V-era tracks, really nice to see that real track connections with better radius will be available once in the future. Thanks again for your great effort you put into this project.

Alright, here we go!

Modified the switch mechanism to return to the 1/4 turn turntable style. Also was able to shrink it down to size:

26433691860_aa4449082a_c.jpg

Currently stands 2x plates tall, and the axle hole goes all the way though. Like the official switch though, no tubes or negative stud area on bottom; just flat. Still clicks between 2 positions.

But wait, I thought we were putting the switch stand on the straight side? Well, if you don't want it on the curve side, take it off and move it:

26640269761_8338525aab_c.jpg

The mechanism is reversible as well, so if you have an arrow on it, you can set it such that the arrow correctly points to the corresponding direction.

The removable switch definitely opens up some design space, as now you can you have a switch opposite a yard ladder, sort of like this:

26706337165_b8f544fc17_c.jpg

And now, it's way past time for me to go to bed.

Having spent a lot of time recently modifying standard LEGO switches to improve PennLUG's train layout I can't begin tell you how much we would love to have switches like you are proposing. If you can bring these to market we would gladly add them to our layout.

26460718213_cf3d3f6ec9_z.jpgIMG_3323 by Cale Leiphart, on Flickr

Cale

Thanks Cale! Barring something going sideways on me, I should have the next prototype finished in time for Brickworld.

EDIT: By the way, your modified switches are awesome.

Edited by coaster

Thanks Cale! Barring something going sideways on me, I should have the next prototype finished in time for Brickworld.

EDIT: By the way, your modified switches are awesome.

Thanks. PennLUG will be at Brickworld again this year joining forces again with the guys from Texas Brick RR. Stop by the layout and see us. We have a lot to talk about. And if I may brag, our layout will be pretty awesome to see.

Cale

It was awesome meeting a bunch of you guys at Brickworld. Wish I could have stuck around a bit longer. For those that didn't see it, I brought this around to show:

27218045974_6760de372d_c.jpg

Still need to machine a few more rails for it and make half a dozen minor tweaks, but it's mostly there. Per some Brickworld discussion and testing, I'll bend in the lead of the curved guard a bit to accommodate some of the longer bogies.

It was good to talk to Coaster at BW. After seeing the switch point, makes me anticipate it even more!

I can't wait for these, they look awesome. Having multiple sources of tracks and components like SBrick, ME Models, and you Coaster will really help expand the hobby, hopefully enough for it to be caught on more by other people as well. Now to wait for someone to produce aftermarket 9V motors and regulators... 9V is almost self sustaining now.

[...] Now to wait for someone to produce aftermarket 9V motors and regulators... 9V is almost self sustaining now.

I don´t think, that 9V Motors are necessary. I think Power-Pickups (with PF- and/or 9V-Connectors) would be better.

Yay! Wider guide rail. It was great to meet you at Brickworld. I think we all left feeling like these switches could really work. PennLUG has already found spots for half a dozen of them on our layout, so we are eagerly anticipating future updates!

I don´t think, that 9V Motors are necessary. I think Power-Pickups (with PF- and/or 9V-Connectors) would be better.

That seems like a better idea. Maybe a power pickup brick similar to the 9V one, that can connect to a SBrick or have proprietary bluetooth controls. Has anyone done this yet?

I have a couple sketches of a single-axle wheelset with power pick up. Nothing formal, but after establishing these tracks (or if I need a break) I plan to work on that next.

Though I've been silent on this project up until now, I'm loving all you have done here Coaster! Though my LUG isn't in the same league as PennLUG, I can definitely see a few places these could be incorporated into our train layout. I think you've hit a wonderful solution with the switch stand being movable to either side of the switch, and cannot wait until these become reality so I can buy a couple (or more). Also looking forward to seeing what you have in mind for the single-axle power pickup wheelset!

I too was glad to meet up with and talk to you at Brickworld Coaster. Your prototype switch shows a lot of promise. I think all of us at the PennLUG Texas Brick layout were impressed with the engineering so far and are very anxious to see these progress. If these can be made, we have definite need for them.

So what more can we do to help this project along?

Cale

I may of missed this but where could we get these tracks and how much (roughly) will they be each?

Thanks

-RailCo

I may of missed this but where could we get these tracks and how much (roughly) will they be each?

Still in prototype stage, I'd say :)

But yeah Coaster these are looking awesome!!!!!!!

And while I personally have converted to PF (for the most part), the need for larger radii switches is still there.

I wish I coulda been there to see it in the brick though!

Have you thought of utilizing kickstarter or go fund me to ease the costs of production?

So what more can we do to help this project along?

Cale

SEND MONEY! :grin:

Just kidding. Unfortunately, there's not a lot of work I can outsource at the moment. However, once I start the kickstarter, it would be great help if you guys could spread the word amongst your LUGS and at shows. Even voicing your support here will help build traction.