mahjqa

Someone is selling my stuff online! But it's cool. This time.

Thought this'd turn up sooner or later, and I'd just like the folks here to know that I'm OK with it. I know the builder, and he asked me permission to sell it since he really needs the money.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-RC-powered-Lego-Technic-Tachikoma-spider-mech-by-Mahjqa-/221693707616?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item339df98560

Little sidenote: Just because I'm okay with this person selling one of my models, that doesn't mean that anyone can now sell my designs and models for their own profit. For now, this is a one-off thing.

Thought this'd turn up sooner or later, and I'd just like the folks here to know that I'm OK with it. I know the builder, and he asked me permission to sell it since he really needs the money.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item339df98560

Little sidenote: Just because I'm okay with this person selling one of my models, that doesn't mean that anyone can now sell my designs and models for their own profit. For now, this is a one-off thing.

i already sold a copy of this without your permission :laugh::vader::dangry:

TheLegoExpert; There is something you may not have considered.

After finishing the Tachikoma, I spent quite a lot of time and effort to make a neat, buildable version, a partslist and a 3D file so others could make one as well. All of this I released for free on www.vayamenda.com . Didn't do that for myself. I already know how to build my own models. It's simply that I enjoy technic, and I want to make it accessible to others as well.

However, my first instinct when reading about you making money off my hard work is to take all of that offline. You didn't ask, you didn't notify, and you come here blabbing about it as if you're proud.

However, I will keep my stuff online, because I don't want others to miss out because of a single jerk like you.

Edited by mahjqa

After finishing the Tachikoma, I spent quite a lot of time and effort to make a neat, buildable version, a partslist and a 3D file so others could make one as well. All of this I released for free on www.vayamenda.com . Didn't do that for myself. I already know how to build my own models. It's simply that I enjoy technic, and I want to make it accessible to others as well.

However, my first instinct when reading about you making money off my hard work is to take all of that offline. You didn't ask, you didn't notify, and you come here blabbing about it as if you're proud.

However, I will keep my stuff online, because I don't want others to miss out because of a single jerk like you.

I wouldn't worry too much about anyone making any significant money off of your work.... From what I've seen over the years, many people that sell off used MOCs normally go in the hole because they don't take Ebay and Paypal fees into consideration... If anyone is actually making money off of your work, it is Ebay... Trust me, there is really nothing you can do to prevent people from selling your models... I've seen dozens of my cars pass through Ebay over the years.. Sometimes I get credit for the model, but most times I do not... You just have to overlook that and have a feeling of pride in knowing that someone out there thinks that your model is good enough to try and make a buck off of...

I also have a feeling that T.L.E. was just kidding...

You should also send that seller a messege and tell them to embed the HTML for the youtube video for the Tachikoma spider in the desription.. It would really help if people could see it in action... :thumbup:

Edited by Paul Boratko

I didn't sell any of your stuff. I just wanted to see your reaction :devil:

I wouldn't worry too much about anyone making any significant money off of your work.... From what I've seen over the years, many people that sell off used MOCs normally go in the hole because they don't take Ebay and Paypal fees into consideration... If anyone is actually making money off of your work, it is Ebay... Trust me, there is really nothing you can do to prevent people from selling your models... I've seen dozens of my cars pass through Ebay over the years.. Sometimes I get credit for the model, but most times I do not... You just have to overlook that and have a feeling of pride in knowing that someone out there thinks that your model is good enough to try and make a buck off of...

I also have a feeling that T.L.E. was just kidding...

You should also send that seller a messege and tell them to embed the HTML for the youtube video for the Tachikoma spider in the desription.. It would really help if people could see it in action... :thumbup:

Yes, I was kidding :grin:

I didn't sell any of your stuff. I just wanted to see your reaction :

What a funny joke! *Insert sarcastic tone*

megablocks you know , I made a copy of your MOC and love it so thank you for all the hard work with the instructions, its one of only 2 mocs that have survived and not been taken a part for parts.

I was actually thinking of chaining one thing on it . Was thinning i could add this partto the front so it could shoot like the one in the anime.

Also I found that there is now an mlcad version of your moc .

http://bricksafe.com/pages/jesuskyr/Mahjqa

Edited by darksheep

A "joke" like this doesn't add any value to the discussion. Especially when the OP intends to show that he is okay with someone selling his MOC with his permission. Making a joke is one thing, but this simply derails the conversation. Be aware of that next time!

A "joke" like this doesn't add any value to the discussion. Especially when the OP intends to show that he is okay with someone selling his MOC with his permission. Making a joke is one thing, but this simply derails the conversation. Be aware of that next time!

I know Jim lol... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

What a funny joke! *Insert sarcastic tone*

Thanks! :grin:

Speaking of selling the MOC, i'd really like to see this little guy make it to the LEGO stores. It's up on LEGO Ideas so why not just take a minute to support it! It would be great to see a Technic MOC make 10k on LEGO ideas.

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/17553

That was among the first models I supported there. The Tachikoma is still (one of) my favourite Technic model but I do think Mahj overreacts this a bit. I understand there is a huge effort in this model (and not just in the design, but the whole life cycle of this "product"), but it's your hobby after all. I don't see how some jerk selling your stuff will hurt you significantly. Everybody that is somewhat into Technic knows perfectly well that this is YOUR design. I don't believe that you loose much income either.

Edited by Lipko

I'm with many on here that Mahjqa's designs are truly out-of-the-ordinary, and most of them deserve to be made into official sets. I've built two of his models (Tachikoma and Metal Grudge) and my kids had a lot of fun with them. I also have two more in-process (Stilkin and Tumbler).

At Mahjqa: I've completed a full LXF of the Metal Grudge. Would it be ok to post? Or I can email it to you and you post it where you feel appropriate.

Edited by DrJB

Has someone sold your stuff online before? I don't want to sound negative about this here, but I have paid for a lot of MOC instructions and have built quite a few models from them myself. If I ever was in need of money due to an emergency, I honestly don't think that I would take the time to email and message every single builder out there to give them my plight and get their permission to sell what I have paid for and built. I would definitely give credit to the original builder though. Now if someone buys instructions and mass produces a MOC from them, then I can see the original designer being upset about it. Or if soemone steals the credit for the model. But if they are getting credit and maybe a link to the original instructions is included, then that looks like free advertisement to me.

Edited by Meatman

I think there's a simple thing missing in some of the arguments here: consent, or lack thereof.

I know Jim lol... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

It seems someone here clearly isn't being adult enough for Eurobricks. I'm sorry to see that someone who represents the worst part of our community has audacity to call himself an expert (no matter how dumb that "expert" sounds). Honestly, it's interesting to see a community that booted out a contributor like Dluders, but lets an obvious troll off with a gentle scolding.

Personally, I'm totally with mahjqa on this thing. Same thing has happened to me, with MOCs I designed being sold for serious money and being displayed at exhibitions to paying audience without giving even a slightest credit. I chose to ignore it, but mahjqa has the point. It's just sad to see people who barely have enough skill to follow instructions feeding off the hard work of others. You would think twice if you knew amount of work needed to create instructions of Tachikoma's quality. It's true that it doesn't hurt the creator directly, but it makes that creator think twice before doing any effort for the community in the future. Look at it this way: what's the point of spending endless evenings on making instructions if you just feed the leeches?

Edited by Sariel

It seems someone here clearly isn't being adult enough for Eurobricks.

I'm sorry to see that someone who represents the worst part of our community has audacity to call himself an expert (no matter how dumb that "expert" sounds).

Personally, I'm totally with mahjqa on this thing. Same thing has happened to me, with MOCs I designed being sold for serious money and being displayed at exhibitions to paying audience without giving even a slightest credit. I chose to ignore it, but mahjqa has the point. It's just sad to see people who barely have enough skill to follow instructions feeding off the hard work of others. You would think twice if you knew amount of work needed to create instructions of Tachikoma's quality.

I agree with you 100% with this as it is not right that people do that, actually I remember there was a thread here a few years ago about a show where someone won an award or something using someone else's model, but if I am going to sell off my collection of other people's MOCs to my next door neighbor because my car broke down and I need money, it seems a bit strange that I would have to contact everyone who designed the original models to get their permission to sell them.

It's all kind of a slippery area, but I think you selling something directly to your neighbor is a different realm that people putting stuff at eBay or displaying it at exhibitions.

Look, I know there is backlash against what mahjqa is saying. I know it's easy to say "but that doesn't hurt you", "it's not illegal", and generally speaking "you're a jerk who wants credit for everything". I just hope you won't one day wake up in a community that does nothing for others, nothing for free, and is busy mainly looking for easy money to make off the others. Because that's where this kind of thinking leads.

Edited by Sariel

For the record, I would never sell any of my MOCs of models that I have built from all of you guys, I am just trying to look at this from a perspective of different situations. NO ONE should build someone else's model to display anywhere and take credit for it. That is just wrong on about every level. I also don't think that someone should build a model with the intention to only flip it after it is completed to make a profit. But if someone is selling off their whole collection on Ebay and one or two of your MOCs happens to be part of it, what can you really do about it?

Edited by Meatman

I think credit goes a long way. I display people's MOCs at BrickCon all the time, but I always talk to them first about it and then I make sure to credit them on the MOC card. Because I am often the Technic coordinator I get to select the prize winners and I make sure to never select myself (or anyone else who has built someone else's MOC).

I also collect a lot of MOCs and occasionally have to sell one. For example, I bought a copy of tbone_tbl's Serenity ship (from Firefly) and then later realized I had nowhere to display it so I sold it to someone else. In this case I paid for the original physical property and later resold it, crediting the designer. On the other hand, I would not resell any instructions I've bought because they are not physical property.

Where it really gets difficult is when the original IP was free. For example, if someone releases free instructions it is certainly not OK to resell them, with or without credit. But what about if you build a model from free instructions? The person doing the building has invested a lot of their own time in collecting the parts and assembling them. Can that model be sold? I think this is the hardest category, and simply notifying the original designer goes a long way toward avoiding problems.

To me, I think you'd have to work so hard to make money turning someone else's mocs into profit. With all the fees and trouble with shipping, I feel like you could earn money easier breaking up new sets and selling them on bricklink if you wanted to do a lego business. Or buying new sets and holding them and reselling them later.

Edit - and let's face it, time is money. These mocs can take all day or multiple days to build. That time is not often factored into the profit.

Edited by Graydingo

Not to sway too much off-topic but I have seen many 'recognizable' GBC modules at various conventions/events, and none of them had any credit posted next to them. Those were clearly copied and/or adapted from other original designs. Those that come to mind are the ones by philo (large star wars wheels and shovel) and Akiyuki (birds). It is very difficult to draw a line here to decide when it is appropriate and when not to give credit at large events. After all, we're all here to be inspired by other members' designs and inherently some sort of plagiarism always happen. This of course is not the case with Mahjqa's point and his reaction is fully justified. While one must feel offended (or taken advantage of), the reality of the situation is nothing can be really done about it ... except to uphold some sort of 'Honor Code'.

These mocs can take all day or multiple days to build.

While instructions can take multiple weeks to make. Instructions alone, not to mention the time spent on designing the MOC in the first place.

I agree with Blakbird, I think simply crediting the builder in such situations would solve everything here. The copyist gets money for time spent copying the MOC, the builder get some promotion for his effort behind the instructions, everybody wins. And it's decent thing to do.

Edited by Sariel