Legopold

Maersk Train in different colours

Hello,

the user L@go recently shared pictures from the Lego World. In one of them a Maersk train in green color scheme is shown: https://www.flickr.c...go/16329475100/

I wonder if anybody ever tried to build it in further color variations? I am particularly interested in cheaper variants because I think about bricklinking that train and I dont care so much to have it in the original azure color scheme. It is a shame that I was too late to get the original Lego Maersk train.

Edit: Attached a cropped image of the green maersk train:

Edited by Legopold

Maybe it is just me, but your link doesnt work. Since the picture is on Flicker, you can just post it here.

I've seen it done a few times in Canadian National colors; black body, red cab and ends with a white stripe. Very common colors so it is as inexpensive as it can get! Plus the colors really snap. Additionally, CN really has SD 40-2 locomotives (which this is supposed to be except for the 4 wheel trucks instead of 6 wheel trucks) and GP 40-2s (which is what it really is with a 4 wheel truck). I must have a picture of it somewhere but I just can't find it right now. I'll look for it and post it soon.

Dan-147

Edited by Dan-147

I've seen it done a few times in Canadian National colors; black body, red cab and ends with a white stripe. Very common colors so it is as inexpensive as it can get! Plus the colors really snap. Additionally, CN really has SD 40-2 locomotives (which this is supposed to be except for the 4 wheel trucks instead of 6 wheel trucks) and GP 40-2s (which is what it really is with a 4 wheel truck). I must have a picture of it somewhere but I just can't find it right now. I'll look for it and post it soon.

Dan-147

Sounds great, Dan-147. Looking forward to see pictures of the Canadian style train. :classic:

Really liking to BN colour scheme on this and might have to do one or 2 myself! Would look good in SP colours as well... Might have to have my first serious play with LDD!

Hi, I've had the same thought as the Maersk is very expensive and I'm rather fond of the design than the colour. As I already have many yellow parts I want to build a yellow version, which I modified a little bit:

16560710722_1396bc50d2_b.jpg

The small section above the sloped white stripe can't be filled with bricks in LDD, but hopefully with real bricks it will be possible. I don't know if I wanna build the truck and cars, but the engine is on my to-do list.

Edit: I found some other versions:

15460925036_d35db33ee8_z.jpg

Norfolk Southern Locomotive by , John Meyer on Flickr

And this one seen in this topic MOD: Yellow Maersk Loco 10219

yellow.maersk.front.low%20(Small).jpg

Edited by ScotNick

I really like the yellow variant.

May I ask how u manage to get the part list and order all of them ?

You can get an inventory part list from the item catalog on Bricklink. From there you can see if a part is in different colors and which BL store has them.

Edit: I found some other versions:

15460925036_d35db33ee8_z.jpg

What's funny is the Maersk locomotive is actually supposed to be a Norfolk Southern loco.

3919.1178629200.jpg

I love the Burlington Northern version posted at the top. I've also seen it done in Milwaukee Road (Orange body with black roof) and Wisconsin Central colors (dark red with yellow pinstripes)

Edited by LoneBrickerSG

Thanks for showing your yellow version of the Maersk train ScotNick. I like it a lot.

I just noticed that green 6x12 tiles with studs were used for the green Maersk train shown in the first post. As far as I know, these tiles have never appeared in any set in that colour. They are also not for sale on bricklink. Seems that the Lego designer had access to some nice additional parts.

Hi ScottNick, thanks for linking to my variant. :thumbup::wink:

It's currently resting in a storage unit 10,000 miles away so it's nice to see it again. I'm missing my Lego trains. :sceptic:

I noticed that the links to the instructions in my old post don't work any more but it looks like you can pick them up from here if you need them: http://lego.brickins...19/Maersk_Train

I like your yellow variant too, hope you get a chance to build it, it's an enjoyable build and a great loco to haul trains with. Go the dual motors if you can, you won't regret it

:classic: :classic:

Edited by AussieJimbo

I just noticed that green 6x12 tiles with studs were used for the green Maersk train shown in the first post. As far as I know, these tiles have never appeared in any set in that colour. They are also not for sale on bricklink. Seems that the Lego designer had access to some nice additional parts.

Certainly possible, but you could accomplish the same by using stock plates and tiles and modding the interior a bit.

Thanks for showing your yellow version of the Maersk train ScotNick. I like it a lot.

Oh, I didn't realise this till now, it might be as you say. First I thought this part might be in a 2015 set and not yet in the part lists, but it isn't.

However I tried my hands on replacing the 6x12 plate with regular bricks:

maerskmod_yellow1.png

This way you can achieve the same results with different parts, which allows you to work with more colours. The tiles are fixed to this part.

The yellow version looks gorgeous! Very nice livery :wub:

Hi ScottNick, thanks for linking to my variant. :thumbup::wink:

It's currently resting in a storage unit 10,000 miles away so it's nice to see it again. I'm missing my Lego trains. :sceptic:

I noticed that the links to the instructions in my old post don't work any more but it looks like you can pick them up from here if you need them: http://lego.brickins...19/Maersk_Train

I like your yellow variant too, hope you get a chance to build it, it's an enjoyable build and a great loco to haul trains with. Go the dual motors if you can, you won't regret it

:classic: :classic:

Hmm, I didn't think my version looked that good, it's just the Maersk with Maersk blue replaced by yellow. But I can post the lxf if you're interested.

I wonder if anybody ever tried to build it in further color variations? I am particularly interested in cheaper variants because I think about bricklinking that train and I dont care so much to have it in the original azure color scheme. It is a shame that I was too late to get the original Lego Maersk train.

I'm currently working on a different colour scheme for this locomotive, had to redesign certain areas to get a nice stripe out of bricks.

I'll share some screens/photo's and perhaps the LDD file when its done and the parts have been ordered.

Loved the look of the maersk train back when it came out , But it didn't fit my budget and main lego interest (Technic, Creator and Certain collectors sets(Mainly cars). City was added last year because of the great vehicles sub-line of sets and trains.)

Last year I bought the yellow cargo train superpack on a discount (For my nephew to play with when he gets older) and added the blue cargo train superpack to that when that had a nice discount, (So we would both have a train to control ;).) And now that I have a decent amount of track I've gotten more interested in Lego Trains.

Having just missed out on the Horizon Express (Looks great but requires two sets to get look right and that didn't fit my budget.) I started to look into this one,

And decided to redesign/recolour it because it's too expensive, I'm not a fan of the light blue and only really interested in the locomotive. (And the truck.)

I'll design my own affordable container wagons and universal container standard.

To be continued...

Edited by Sato

Heh heh heh, I was wondering the same thing, I have not seen many repaints of it myself... at least before reading this thread. Seems like an obvious one to do if you like North American trains. In fact I just finished up my design for a repaint of it this past weekend and am aiming to order the parts soon. More on that when it gets built though. In the mean time, a couple of perhaps obvious observations...

If you are not powering it with PF, build the hood in bricks and do away with the large tiles. If you have any unpowered wheels, use regular train wheels. My unpowered, stock Maersk probably has more drag than any other lego train I own.

That said, I do like the look of the BN and NS ones earlier in this thread.

There are parts in colors not available to the public in sets or otherwise but may be available to internals, LEGO Certififed Professionals or Master Builders at LEGOLAND (Q elements).

I've almost completed mine, in CN livery, with stickers bought online.

I reused base and wheels as well as PF components from 7939.

After using common pieces I already had, it cost me another $30 via bricklink.

I'll add a couple of pictures to the thread tomorrow.

Anyone willing and able to post their LDD file so that I can go in and play with the colours? If so I'll have a crack at the BN and SP this weekend.

Edited by lostdriveway

Here are pictures of mine.

You can play a game of finding diffs with Maersk set and "missing" pieces.

Sorry, I have no LDD file. I used the one in the thread ref'd above to get a list of pieces, and then improvised.

15955350083_8e1a4ce813_n.jpg

16574430472_96aa6593d2_n.jpg

15952993364_879db03de1_n.jpg

I got the stickers here: http://www.thestickybrick.com/train-instructions

I am not 100% happy with them, colors don't match closely enough Lego colors, so if you look at the locomotive up close in bright light, it shows.

If you run it fast enough on the track, it's more than fine :) :)

I'm currently waiting on a Bricklink order to complete a lime green, white and black loco based off the Maersk train. Lime green in place of Maersk blue and white in place of lbg. No particular reason for those colors other than I thought they looked good and it was relatively inexpensive. I'll post the progress and LDD photos when I get a chance. Should be able to get it done for under $30 USD using parts in my current collection. I'm talking about the locomotive only btw. Using regular plates instead of train base plate. The train parts and flex tubing have been the most difficult/expensive to obtain.

Here are the LDD screenshots. Lime green looks terrible in LDD if you ask me.

16585256042_3fcc51be16_q.jpgLimeGP40-2 by firstofminifigs, on Flickr

16585983275_469e68802d_q.jpgLimeGP40-2rear by firstofminifigs, on Flickr

Edited by firstofminifigs