Sign in to follow this  
Etzel

MOC: Dalborg Castle

Hi!

This was a project that took way more time than planned to finish. It started about a year ago when I was experimenting a bit with my dark orange wedge plates, trying to fit them together to make nice peaked roofs. From there I added the timber framed/Fachwerk walls and after that it went a couple of months when I didn't add anything to the build. Eventually I regained interest in it and I started building the landscape and laying out foundations for where I wanted the walls and towers to be. I finished the small tower and the gate and the bridge before other things got in the way and the build went into hibernation again.

But, some weeks before today I was finally done with a huge batch of sorting and had a lot of inspiration to go back to building and I finished of the castle quite quickly. I just had to wait a little bit for a Bricklink order and a day with enough daylight to get the pictures.

I thought that it would be fun to put the classic Lion Knights in this castle. They weren't my favourites when I was younger, but now I really like how their bright colours contrast against the more sober grey and tan in the landscape. I also like to combine the classic torsos with the new shiny helmets and weapons that we have now, I think it shows that the classic factions works just as nice (if not better) as the new ones. While I surely hope that the rumours about a 2016 Castle theme is true, I'm not going to be devastated if that fails since we already have so many good minifigs and pieces from decades of LEGO Castle.

TL;DR:

I love LEGO Castle and here is a castle I built to show that! :sweet:

16365184289_10017e217e_z.jpg

16363794718_a641418f36_z.jpg

16365190959_152b90945c_z.jpg

15928895324_e95ccabb29_z.jpg

16550363202_8982269096_z.jpg

16364007050_2600678308_z.jpg

16551495175_cc3df20e10_z.jpg

16549774681_59bbdb273d.jpg

16549783941_91f2b968f4.jpg

16364008690_a61df9402f.jpg

16365188809_88ba34f8ff.jpg

More pictures can be found on my Flickr: Link

/Etzel

Stunning! For sure this is best castle I've seen in recent memory.

The whole build has this effortless feel to it--it's simple and clean. Beautiful and bright--dark orange is a severely underutilized and underrated color. Very unique from the over detailed castles or storybook cottages that plague the sites nowadays. Spectacular!

Fantastic build! :wub: I love the use of dark orange for the roof, and the layout is excellent :thumbup:

I really like the black/white colorscheme too :classic:

Having both the rockwork and stonework be light bluish gray makes is not my favorite, but wow, the rest of the build is so cool! Well done!

This is a really nice build. The colours are great and the whole build have a very peaceful feel to it.

The rocks could do with being Dark Bley so that they stand out from the castle walls but I really like the clean classic lines and those dark orange rooves. I might have to pick myself up some dark orange for precisely that purpose.

Thanks for the nice comments everyone!

Stunning! For sure this is best castle I've seen in recent memory.

The whole build has this effortless feel to it--it's simple and clean. Beautiful and bright--dark orange is a severely underutilized and underrated color. Very unique from the over detailed castles or storybook cottages that plague the sites nowadays. Spectacular!

Wow, thank you very much for all that praise! I don't quite agree that the very detailed castle and cottages that's been popping is a "plague" but it is nice to have a variaty of styles and I do like some nice clean lines here and there. Sometimes less is more. :classic:

Having both the rockwork and stonework be light bluish gray makes is not my favorite, but wow, the rest of the build is so cool! Well done!

Man! I love everything but the rocks.

The rocks could do with being Dark Bley so that they stand out from the castle walls but I really like the clean classic lines and those dark orange rooves. I might have to pick myself up some dark orange for precisely that purpose.

Hahaha, yeah those light bley rocks seems to be the weak part of this build. When I started building this MOC almost all my dark bley pieces were tied up in another build and therefore I went with the lighter ones. Then I started to think that it looked quite nice how the tower rise up from the rock and fits directly into it. I also think that the builders would've used stone from nearby when they built the walls, therefore the same colour. :wink:

I did have some ideas of adding more colours to the rocks late in the build, some more dark tan and olive green perhaps, but I somehow forgot that.

What a nice castle. With highest playability!

Where did you get all those dark orange wedge plates?

From Bricklink in various batches. They are quite cheap actually, but makes great roofs. :thumbup:

I love it.

Still looks like the classical Lego Castle design with improved shapes and very functional, seems, that one is able to get access to all spots.

Very nice build. Great touch with the tower being built into the rocks. Playability always moves every build up a notch in my mind as well!