Sign in to follow this  
SirBlake

[MOC] Stonehinge Castle

It all started out with the desire for a proper home for my Crownies, and the idea of an up-scaled castle that still fits for the most part with the Lego set aesthetic, so no over-the-top landscaping. The other factor is that I wanted it to look complete (no missing walls) but still have access to the interiors with realistic paths to anywhere in the structure (stairs/ladders) wherever possible.

So with that in mind, I present Stonehinge Castle:

StoneHinge1_zpsv7ogvnhh.jpg

Throne2_zps4ldl4umz.jpg

DiningHall1_zpsiryuudgd.jpg

WizardTower2_zpsu6upfsbl.jpg

StoneHinge6_zpsihps2uag.jpg

More photos in my photobucket.

http://s40.photobuck...O?sort=3&page=1

Let me know what y'all think!

The interior of this build is really awesome! I also really like the chandelier in the dining hall as well!

This is a really good open courtyard castle design! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thanks for the feedback!

Excellent castle, great overall design.

My only recommendation would be to raise the walls and the left front tower.

:thumbup:

Yeah I think upping the scale on those parts would add some grandeur. Unfortunately at the time of building, this took almost every grey brick I had.

I'm glad I have photos now. Hopefully I can work up the courage to dismantle this one to build some other MOCs.

Very impressive castle! I'm a big fan of hinging buildings and full interiors with ways to access them via ladder or stairs. So I like this a lot.

Makes me want to try another hinging castle soon :classic:

Thanks a lot for the replies! It truly is appreciated.

This is really amazing. Great work. I have always dreamed of doing this with a castle.

I had too, and one day just started on the front gate. It grew pretty organically, section by section, which i really enjoyed. It felt natural to plan as I went instead of having a master plan in place before starting. the main structure was fun, but I think the best part was filling out the interior details. It seemed to tell more of a story that way and I'm happy I was able to cover the main aspects. (Keep, dungeon, dining hall, kitchen, blacksmith, wizards tower, stables and barracks)

the roof on that one tower is odd

If you're talking about the one with the owl on it, that's because there's a chimney on the outside corner (under the owl) that I didn't get a good photo of. Aside from that, I wanted the outside walls to have crenellations and the inside walls to have some semblance of a roof for visual interest. It may not be to your taste, but there is reason behind it.