Breakdown

Late 80's - Early 90's airport (extremely unoriginal, but cool

Parts just arrived in the mail. Red & white plane is still on hold awaiting parts that are yet to be ordered.

If it looks, just a tad odd, it is, it's extended four complete bricks and as a result is a massive seven passenger, plus pilot plane.

I could NOT find a 2 x 2 blue window on this side of the ocean on Bricklink, yes that bad. I've seen lots on E-bay with one piece or so . . . so I managed to get four from overseas with some other random stuffs that I like. You do not even want to know the amount of classic plane stuff that I have in reserve at this point. Still moar epics projects on the sched. The other "traditional" Transcon2 now has a front roof piece that matches the rest of the roof. One piece that was not around when these planes were in their heyday is those wedge translucent pieces. I think that they look spectacular on the wings. I originally ordered 10 of each and now I'm legitimately fearing that I will soon run out!

Legosevenplusone1.jpg

Legosevenplusone2.jpg

Legosevenplusone3.jpg

Edited by Breakdown

Lovely plane! Great classic feel!

But is there anything you can do to make it stronger along its length? It looks like it's bowing a bit in the middle.

Lovely plane! Great classic feel!

But is there anything you can do to make it stronger along its length? It looks like it's bowing a bit in the middle.

I think that it's just one overweight passenger in the middle of the plane that's causing this.

To be honest I was running out of yellow plates for below the seats, but I think that the bowing effect is more an optical illusion. The roof just won't sit flush right at the front and I think more than anything that's causing the slight appearance of bowing, I don't see it along the bottom where the issue should really obvious. Might take a ruler or level to it to make sure though now that you mention it. My second super-sized jet will have the wings two studs forward. I have to get some 2 stud long inverse light grey slopes for the bottom to make that happen with this one as I feel that the wings may be sitting a little too far back.

Just a short update, some new white plates arrived via S@H enabling me to finally finish one of my projects:

The 6392 coloured jet is now the same length as my transcon 2 passenger jet which is already 4 studs oversized allowing 8 passengers. There's small differences in the tail necessitated by colour heights, and I've moved the wings up 2 studs from where they were on the Transcon/2 passenger jet otherwise the differences are minimal. Makes for a very sharp jet actually, I much prefer the wings moved up a notch as they were.

Airport15.jpg

Airport16.jpg

Airport17.jpg

Airport18.jpg

Airport19.jpg

I remember being a kid at Target looking at the Transcon myself. I never got it until several years back and it's absolutely beautiful. In my opinion, it's THE BEST shuttle ever made because it requires minimal pieces, looks clean, and functions fully without giant plastic molded pieces - the wheels even swivel and they are tiny and petite compared to what we have now. The transcons also has room for two pilots and tools in compartments to repair things - it's one of my favorite sets of that era. Every time Lego produces a small airplane, I purchase them now b/c of how much I loved their planes in the 90s. Your airport is beautiful - I'd love to have those base plates again.

I love this scale of LEGO aircraft. The new ones have too many large pieces and the finished aircraft are too big. They are more playable but the space they take up plus the size of any runways or aircraft buildings is prohibitive.

And that's before I start on the nostlgia element...

Cheers

Rog