Breakdown

Late 80's - Early 90's airport (extremely unoriginal, but cool

Finally acquired a 6396 set to go along with the partial set that I got from E-bay years' ago.

Nothing too much original here. It's been a long time coming, but the one 6544 Transcon2 jet (foreground in the first pic) has been converted into a passenger jet (It's my favourite lego airplane from the era).

The second Transcon jet needs a matching roof tile at the front . . . if anyone has one they want to unload . . . please it's bothered me for a while now.

I'm not really trying to win any originality points with this setup (any idiot or young child with instructions can pretty much accomplish the same) but sampling my photo skillz and layout, Would love another 6396, there's a complete 6392 elsewhere, but the 9-stud greens on the runways hurt my brain when grouped with the 7 stud ones of this set.

I like how the planes from 6392 (yellow airport) and 6375 (cargo plane with swing open tail) look together, I was very hesitant of putting them together at first because of the similarities of the two.

Airport01.jpg

Airport02.jpg

Airport03.jpg

Airport04.jpg

Airport06.jpg

Airport07.jpg

Airport08.jpg

Airport09.jpg

Airport10.jpg

Airport11.jpg

Airport12.jpg

Airport13.jpg

Wow, this causes a wave of nostalgia for me. I remember drooling over the large airport sets when I was a kid (mostly the one you used here, but also 6597 when that came out). Unfortunately, all I ever got was the 6375 cargo plane and a smaller one or two person aircraft in a blue/white color scheme.

The entirely brick-built planes imo look a lot better (and propably also are mor efun to build, though I can't say from personal experience) than those modern ones that use lots of large pieces.

I should build that cargo plane again...I think I missed some pieces when I dug up my old Lego two years ago, but should be able to replace those from sets I got in some ebay hauls I did.

Edited by RogerSmith

Ah, good memories. I always wanted the airline themed sets as a kid, but only got the space-shuttle transport (truck that is). This just looks amazing, and soooo different from LEGO sets now.

Being honest, I prefer older Lego planes to the new ones with the big pre-fab wings/noses and the like. The new ones are simply too big, and when trying to integrate them in to a city layout they're virtually impossible. The older ones like yours are much better.

Love the old planes,

I've got one that would suit.

from '88

6356-1.jpg?0

DId they ever make any of these era planes in a 6 stud wide design?

I love your classic airport set up and it's the same of what I have imagined too. I will love to open my 2 sets of Century Skyway to do up something similar as you. :sweet:

Brilliant, had many of those sets as a kid. I've got some of the new airport sets and the planes would dwarf the old sets now! Thanks for posting - some nice nostalgia for a Sunday afternoon for me!

Ah, good memories. I always wanted the airline themed sets as a kid, but only got the space-shuttle transport (truck that is). This just looks amazing, and soooo different from LEGO sets now.

For the record. As a child, I never had anything that evenly resembled one of these airplanes. I started acquiring some sets and parts casually in my early 20's and now that I'm in my mid-30's a lot more lately.

One of the things that I've always loved about being an adult is simply doing what I didn't have the freedom to do as a child. My parents were too cheap to allow me to play ice hockey (it is expensive with the equipment) so as an adult I've been having fun catching up on some of the fun that I might have missed out on as a kid.

I can't complain about my parents much. They did fork out for some lego trains and a computer back in the day when they were expensive, but things like playing hockey, driving around in a fly car lookin' like the Super Hoe, toys that I always wanted but never had, even growing fruits at home (I grow pears, strawberries, tomatoes and raspberries). We never got the 12V train lego stuff here, but looking at those pamphlets that came with the sets back in the day with the other sets in them made me want those sets for nothing else other than to see how they worked.

NIce airport you got there. I love these classic sets. I never had any of the airport theme sets, but I do like them a lot. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

this is fantastic to see...Im with the general consensus and believe that the brick built 80s-90s planes were much more appropriate for larger layouts and simply better models. The larger ones, are only at a better scale in my opinion. I do find myself occasionally picking my way through ebay to find the odd 'classic' plane to add to my fleet :sweet:

Finally acquired a 6396 set to go along with the partial set that I got from E-bay years' ago.

I remeber this airport. And: I used to play with this spaceshuttle, too. So: Thank you for sharing this! :classic: Edited by Zusammengebaut

Really great to see those planes, Breakdown. As other Eurobrickers, I also prefer the good old 4 wide, brick-built planes. What I am really happy to see in your layout is the Transcon2 passenger aircraft. It's like a bigger brother of the quad-jet from 6392 Airport. It is not that long ago, I was wondering how it would look as a passenger plane. Only thing is, I would like to build it with windows all the way down the fuselage. Otherwise it's all just looking... classic and wonderful :blush:

Really great to see those planes, Breakdown. As other Eurobrickers, I also prefer the good old 4 wide, brick-built planes. What I am really happy to see in your layout is the Transcon2 passenger aircraft. It's like a bigger brother of the quad-jet from 6392 Airport. It is not that long ago, I was wondering how it would look as a passenger plane. Only thing is, I would like to build it with windows all the way down the fuselage. Otherwise it's all just looking... classic and wonderful :blush:

A couple of comments on that.

I have acquired some more top grey hinges, I want to get the luggage area in the rear to open again. It's been really hard finding blue plane windows.

One of the other things that I'm flirting with is further differentiating the two planes, and trying to add on to either one to increase the total length (probably the passenger one) make it a six seater (6 + pilot). One of the challenges, which should be quickly overcome is that brace piece you see across the top of the wing that is behind the last seat as things stand.

When I acquired the sets on E-bay in around 2002 when they were super cheap. I was naive enough to think that I could change a space shuttle or two, into passenger planes, I might revisit those ideas. White windows are relatively easy to find, same with the roof pieces! In addition to the two space shuttles that you see in the pic, there's another two matching the first two in the other room.

BTW - I've had the Transcon2 plane for at least 12 years before finally getting my butt in gear and turning the thing into a passenger plane. I have some time to make up for missing.

Edited by Breakdown

Very nice set-up! Big fan of the airport sets. I remember thirty years ago seeing the first set from 1985. I was so impressed- the green runway plates, all the new slope pieces, the engines! Easily became one of my all-time favorites. I stuck with the flight theme right up to Town Jr. I do have most of the City planes as well, but agree they are hard to display. I don't mind their size, as they are scaled better to City vehicles.

It's been really hard finding blue plane windows.

One of the other things that I'm flirting with is further differentiating the two planes, and trying to add on to either one to increase the total length (probably the passenger one) make it a six seater (6 + pilot). One of the challenges, which should be quickly overcome is that brace piece you see across the top of the wing that is behind the last seat as things stand.

I can imagine the blue window frames are hard to find. Not many set have had blue window frames. I can see there have been some newer sets with blue windows, but I am not sure if it's the same blue as in the Transcon2.

I hope your projects will materialize. It could be nice to see a big, classic-built passenger plane. Maybe a Transcon3? Or Intercon? :wink:

Love the old planes,

from '88

This is one of my favorite sets of all time. I played with that rescue plane for hours! Still got it.

I enjoyed seeing the expanded airport here, and I wish I had room to do something like this too! :laugh:

Love the old planes,

from '88

6356-1.jpg?0

I didn't see this comment earlier buried under the picture of your plane (which BTW is entirely welcome to land at one of the Breakdown airports along with bjorkan's unique plane. 6396 is a little full unless we get clearance for some flights today (it's cold) may have to land in-town at 6392.

The gears in my head have been turning on ideas for a 6 stud jumbo jet for a while now, I'd love to try a double-decker, but it would look like a train-wreck without at least 8 or 10 studs wide. Gonna take a lot of planning though. To the absolute best of my knowledge 6544 Transcon2 (shown at the top in blue) is the biggest plane/jet ever created with a "brick nose" it's long but still 4 studs wide.

Little short on 1 X ??? plates (all sizes because . . . yellowing) so I'm looking at this partially assembled new plane and thinking . . . . .

Looks like part of plane from plane graveyard so . . .

LegoPlaneGraveyard.jpg

LegoPlaneGraveyard2.jpg

I have another couple retro plane projects in the works right now.

Edited by Breakdown

I have another couple retro plane projects in the works right now.

Oooooohohohoh! A Trancon2 in classic, classic CLASSIC colourscheme? I can't wait to see the final result :grin:

Oooooohohohoh! A Trancon2 in classic, classic CLASSIC colourscheme? I can't wait to see the final result :grin:

This is why we can't have nice secrets . . . . .

Seriously though I'm glad that there are a couple of people following along. I'm thinking that these will be pseudo branded plane lines within the lego airports.

Words cannot even begin to express my frustration at being stuck without enough normal plates. Every other desired piece I have sufficient quantities of.