BondemandClausen

Recovery of content in .lxf files deleted by SR 3D

Hi

I have ran into a huge problem. After having been using LDD for my newest MOC, i decided to continue it in SR 3D.

Unfortunately something went wrong, and the content of the file was deleted when i tried to open the .lxf file in SR 3D.

Does anybody know if it is possible, and then how, to recover the content of the file?

I have tried to open it in LDD Again.... but it is all gone... 100 hours of Work.

I cross my fingers that someone knows...

Do you have any files all all you can share,SR 3D create backup files if you had that option ticked.

I am unsure if LDD creates backup files.

Do you have any files all all you can share,SR 3D create backup files if you had that option ticked.

I am unsure if LDD creates backup files.

Well im willing to try almost anything, so i have to trust in people :-) I can see when i look on the properties of the file, that it has er certain size, that indicates that it contains something.

SR3D and LDD are incompatible. SR3D uses LDRAW brick system while LDD uses a LEGO proprietary system.

It is possible to convert one format in the other, but results often leave much to be desired.

About your request, lxf files are zip files. Try to open the file with an archive manager (for example 7zip) and look at the result.

It it is a zip file still, you should find inside the archive a little image and a text file (the XML file containing the your model).

If these files are uncorrupted, there is some hope to recover the model.

If you share the file we could take a look at it.

For the next time, remember to backup your creations periodically and before doing something unusual.

You could try a 'undelete' tool but it will probably only work if you haven't used (written to) the same harddisk after your work went missing and if LDD or SR3D saves files by first renaming the old one followed by writing a new one and deleting the old one afterwards. which I don't know they do.

Hi again

I have consulted Lego Consumer Service and the LDD department looked at my file, but they couldn't help me.

They adviced me to Consult all you good Guys, so here i am back Again.

The file can be found on my bricksafe page. http://bricksafe.com...amaged lxf file

I hope that one of you has the key to remove the spell on my file.

I don't know what happened with the file, but I did found this:

A normal lxf file is a zip file which contains a IMAGE100.LXFML file and a IMAGE100.PNG file. Your broken lxf file isn't a zip file anymore, at least not a working zip file.

I don't know how (and if it's even possible) to rescue the file :sceptic:

Hi again

I have consulted Lego Consumer Service and the LDD department looked at my file, but they couldn't help me.

They adviced me to Consult all you good Guys, so here i am back Again.

The file can be found on my bricksafe page. http://bricksafe.com...amaged lxf file

I hope that one of you has the key to remove the spell on my file.

I quickly look into file, and I have bad news for you:

- file starts with (hexadecimal notation) 0xef 0xbb 0xbf, that is an UTF-8 Byte order mark

- fourth and fifth byte are "PK" signature of a normal ZIP file

- but lots of bytes inside ZIP was replaced by a sequence of three bytes 0xef 0xbf 0xbd that is an UTF character called "replacement character" used to replace an unknown or unrepresentable character in UTF-8 coding (a black diamond with question mark inside).

- almost 20% of your file was replaced by this three-byte sequence.

So, briefly (and sadly), your file is gone :cry2: .

I was already expecting something like that, but I didn't have the knowledge to exactly pinpoint what went wrong.

@BondemanClausen: are you sure file-history (or whatever it's called) isn't turned on? I believe it's off by default, but you never know...

Thank you both Legolijntje and Mario.

Well yes this is sad news :cry2:

I think that SR-3D replaced a lot of what you found out was replaced by the diamond with question mark. As I tried to open the file in SR-3D, it came with a prompt saying 12 parts couldn't be recognized and if I wanted to continue. I have experienced that prompt before when trying to open files from MlCad, so I didn't take further notice, and accepted.... And that was it.

I don't know where to seek for the file history you mention Legolijntje. That would be my last chance then.

Thanks a lot for your efforts, I appreciate it!

Let that be a warning for LDD rookies like me *huh* âš 

Edited by BondemandClausen

Look if this image clarify your doubts.

No, unfortunately Legolijntje was right. That function is disabled, but i think i better enable it from now on.

Thanks Again.

I might better start building it for real, then the risk off it getting deleted must be smaller :wink: