Bob De Quatre

75095 TIE Fighter

200 € for two wings and a ball? Yes, because a Tie Fighter is nothing more than two wings and a ball! :wink: What else did you expect? And 200 € is a normal price (unfortunately) for 1685 pieces. The 10240 X-Wing has the same price and 1559 pieces.

...and there's the truth of it!

I like a good brick build but a Tie is a Tie. It's simple, iconic and sets the 5 year old off in me! But the ball build technique used here is a valid and effective approach. Plates can work but I'm not convinced the effect would look as interesting as this...

Edited by Aeroeza

What else did you expect?

A 1,000 part set sold 120 € ?

I dont understand the problem with the set?

It`s correct that is not the best but i`m happy with this version!

When i start my UCS collection about 4 years ago my biggest wish was an UCS Tie and now we have on!

The size is great, dont forget its an UCS set and they are always bigger than normal playsets.

It`s right that the middle part looks a little bit to angular and the inside of the wings looks incomplete but i saw bader looking UCS sets.

Look at the first 2 Tie versions, i hate the wings with this black 8x8 holeplates so much, and we have now an really good old school UCS set without unnecessary play functions or something.

How i say not the best but i like the overall impression and its more better than some MOC`s i saw!

markus

?? Then you can buy the normal playset! UCS is UCS and its ok when they have more parts and the price is higher!

I would be interested which set you like? I read only negativ posts from you at the last UCS set threads.

Edited by markus1984

Already done by MOCers. Not interesting as an actual release as a consequence. Would look pretty uninspiring next to other UCS'.

Edited by Aeroeza

I'm not happy about the price, but the price is normal. Of course, a smaller version would have been possible but Lego released a small version in 2012. And I guess that's why the UCS version has to be a lot bigger.

Edit: I'm also happy that this is a real UCS set without all these play functions :)

Edited by Robert_88

?? Then you can buy the normal playset! UCS is UCS and its ok when they have more parts and the price is higher!

I would be interested which set you like? I read only negativ posts from you at the last UCS set threads.

True.

I think 75060 and 75095 are disasters.

edit : well, to be more specific, I think 75060 is a disaster and 75095 is really very expensive/big for what it is. Cause technically speaking, I can't indeed say that 75095 is poorly designed. It looks pretty accurate.

Nice, not thrilling, but nice. This is a tie fighter after all, not a sexy ship to begin with. They look much better in groups and in motion. My favorite part has always been the look of the pilot and I think they did a great job in that respect. I think if they had made it smaller and given it a more finished look it might be better. But then everyone would complain it was too small and not a good ucs size. So I think this model is a good compromise.

I also agree this feels like TLG/Disney finishing off a list before the new generation of movies starts coming out.

Eh, 1600 pieces really? More like 1600 really small slope pieces to justify the price. $200 is way to much should be more like $150, This is no where near the bulk of the Slave I. And why is there only one minifigure? they could have at least threw us another stormtrooper like in the Slave I.

I dont understand the problem with the set?

I'd say that the problem is TIE itself. The design is so simple, there are no super articulated parts to be recreated in the model. It may be the second simpliest shape right after Death Star :D Two hexagons with some texture on it and sphere in the middle... The more crucial it is to do these things perfectly.

If such a model came about 3 years ago, I think it would get much better response. Yet in past few years, the level of design has moved a lot forward. As you mention in your post, this really look like some retro old school model. But In comparison to other contemporary UCS's, I think that using brick slopes to make sphere is really a bit behind.

To be more specific, What I really dislike is the fact that the cockpit sphere is not distinguished from side wing holders. Looking and TIE pictures, these holders have way different shape that could certainly have been done better with lego bricks.

The size is great, dont forget its an UCS set and they are always bigger than normal playsets.

True, but usually bigger size means more details and better design. And I'm not really sure whether this applies here. Of course it's way further than playsets but I think that the same level of detail could have been reached in 2/3 scale and maybe the result would look even better.

It`s right that the middle part looks a little bit to angular and the inside of the wings looks incomplete but i saw bader looking UCS sets.

How i say not the best but i like the overall impression and its more better than some MOC`s i saw!

I saw worse looking sets and MOC's too. Yet not sure if that's the best excuse.

On the other hand, I'm glad you like it. If I were the designer, I'd be happy if such a good builder liked my model. Also I don't say it's all bad. Just it's probably not my cup of tea, maybe I even vainly think that I could build it better and I'm hard to find any positives to outweigh the negatives (8 tiny stickers just on the front, lack of cool design elements, trivial looking construction, low diversity in used bricks...)

I like Slave I way more than this. However, it also has some drawbacks, I feel there is design mastery beyond that set. Original tilted construction, unusual part usage... overal it's something uncommon. Unlike this TIE.

Kris

Edited by krisandkris12

While I thought the same like most people in this topic about this UCS Tie being rather dissapointing, I think in this picture the cockpit to be looking better then in the official press release photo's from TLG. I think It goes well with the UCS X-Wing from last year. I think we have to see this model in real life to form a final conclusion, the UCS Slave 1 also looks magnificent that way then just from the press photo's.

Edited by Orange Leader

I wish I got the 2012 TIE Fighter, because I don't really want to get the expensive USC one (but I might get it) because it's very costly and I don't think it looks the best. I'll have to decide when it comes out.

I wish I got the 2012 TIE Fighter, because I don't really want to get the expensive USC one (but I might get it) because it's very costly and I don't think it looks the best. I'll have to decide when it comes out.

I understand you. The cost of this UCS really puzzles me. Once the UCS were known to have a slighter better cost per brick than "standard" Star Wars sets. This TIE fighters costs even more than the recent Slave I.

I just saw the Summer SW sets and there are other interesting sets to get :classic:

I understand you. The cost of this UCS really puzzles me. Once the UCS were known to have a slighter better cost per brick than "standard" Star Wars sets. This TIE fighters costs even more than the recent Slave I.

I just saw the Summer SW sets and there are other interesting sets to get :classic:

Yeah. And, at least the Slave I looks good at comes with 4 good minifigures. That Bespin Guard only comes in that set, the Boba Fett has super nice details, it comes with a STORMTROOPER :sweet: and a Bespin Han Solo with the frozen in carbonite version. And as you said, there is so many cool sets coming out this summer, why use up all/most of your LEGO money on that thing? I'd much prefer a minifig scale TIE Fighter, because the only TIE Fighters I have is the TIE Advanced Prototype, and Darth Vader's TIE Fighter (from like 2008 or something?) and let's just say it's nothing but Darth Vader and half of a wing now, because I dropped it a while back, and than the pieces slowly faded into my various Lego bins. Hm...

Yeah. And, at least the Slave I looks good at comes with 4 good minifigures. That Bespin Guard only comes in that set, the Boba Fett has super nice details, it comes with a STORMTROOPER :sweet: and a Bespin Han Solo with the frozen in carbonite version. And as you said, there is so many cool sets coming out this summer, why use up all/most of your LEGO money on that thing? I'd much prefer a minifig scale TIE Fighter, because the only TIE Fighters I have is the TIE Advanced Prototype, and Darth Vader's TIE Fighter (from like 2008 or something?) and let's just say it's nothing but Darth Vader and half of a wing now, because I dropped it a while back, and than the pieces slowly faded into my various Lego bins. Hm...

I agree. The Slave I gives us a reason to buy it but I can't find a good one for buying this it. The printed arm on the pilot is a nice detail and the set itself has several nice details as well but they do not seem to justify the cost.

There will be indeed so many nice sets and I really doubt this TIE will be on my "to buy list" :wink:

My UCS Tie Interceptor suffered the same fate of your Vader's Tie. I have the pieces but they are a bit scattered.

If you want to rebuild yours you shouldn't have problems if you still have those pieces. I plan to do the same with my Interceptor, one day :classic:

I'll wait for a decent discount (at least 20%) on this one... Rather getting the UCS X-Wing, Sandcrawler or even the Ewok Village first... (For a more challenging and fun build - might be a bit spoiled after building the Falcon and the Slave 1)

As a person who's moderately interested in Star Wars, this reminds me a lot of the the Sandcrawlers place, or lack of a place, in my collection. I have the X Wing and R2D2 and they make great display models. The color and shape of the Sandcrawler and the awkward design and huge proportions of the TIE fighter make it something I probably won't want to buy and display. With that said, I can appreciate the work the designers put into it and can understand why a dedicated SW collector would want it. Just not for me.

So looking at all the comments, it would appear LEGO has made a reasonably good model of an otherwise pretty mundane Star Wars model ship. Well so be it, as I said before a Tie Fighter is such a common ship in the SW universe that it cannot be missing from any serious SW UCS collection.

If I was TLG though, seeing all these comments, I would cut my losses, go ahead and make 10000 sets, sell them within the 1st day of release and make it this a much sought after set for the years to come on the secondary market, just to make it a more legendary set and show us all whose boss :devil::laugh:

*snip*

Whoa... That looks awesome! Is there more info on this? Perhaps even some instructions or a LDD?

As much as I like the new wings on the new UCS Tie fighter and the connections to the "ball" I just love the far more aggresive looking plate-design for the cockpit, and the details are just wonderful!

Edited by Lobot
Please don't quote images :-)

*snip*

I always loved Garth's approach. A massive improvement on the old school octagonal cockpit which scaled it well. What I'm enjoying about the new approach is that it's far more of a ball and still scaled correctly.

Edited by Lobot
Please don't quote images :-)

^Maybe you guys should quote without the image... It's a lot of wasted scroll to have the same pic three times on single page.

See... Now THAT is a Tie id be happy to get without a second thought. The ball design is just that, and imitates e 'real' tie much better. I don't get... Really dont get why TLG cant do something like that? Much better looking, much nicer design easier the eyes.

TLG could learn from that.

...funny. I find the small sloped cheesecake brick's easier on the eye. From a distance it's even more effective for me. If I squint it's awesome!! :)

Perhaps I'm just used to viewing the UCS sculptures I own (Maul, Yoda & R2). I like the spherical build technique they used even though they are more traditionally brick based. This is an extension of the same technique but softer in apearence. It certainly articulates the form of the cockpit better to me even if some greebling is sacrificed along the way.

Much like a typographical map it captures subtle contours of change using a variety of angles and bricks. Viewed from different positions and various distances the result is rather elegant and would look excellent when lit to accentuate this (unlike the rather flat lighting Lego have used to promote the product). No other UCS ship has attempted this before which therefore makes it even more appealing to me. Especially when considered as part of a larger UCS collection. 7181 and 10175 cockpits are simple in comparison but certainly illustrate other ways to solve a sculptural problem inherent to the medium.

It sure as hell knocks the socks off any System Tie!!!

I can't help but conclude that this build is a thoughtful take on the subject matter and, although differences of opinion make for a lively informative debate, some comments have been a bit...well...

General observation:

Opinions expressed without the effort of adding constructive critical thought to substantiate your post is tantamount to shallow digital graffiti.

Do better ;)

Rant done.

Anyway, I think it's cool to see a different approach to the usual large octagon/plate solutions already tried by TLG and perfected by Gareth... They really are blocky!!

Edited by Aeroeza

The UCS Slave I definitely looks better than the last system version (although whether a Bespin Guard and a Stormie are superior to Bossk is debatable), but I can't really justify buying it as I'm happy with the system version.

This however, IMO, looks worse than the last system version which had a great selection of minifigs which would enhance any Imperial installation. I guess I'll be holding out to see Echo Base to see if I purchase any UCS sets this year...

Edited by TeufelHund