Sign in to follow this  
LittleJohn

Desert Oasis

A free build for Kaliplin, this was a lot of fun to build, and is quite possibly my favorite landscape of mine yet. The tree technique and angled water were some of my favorite parts.

When Aymeri heard that his family, and their nomad tribe, were at an oasis just outside Katoren, he asked permission to visit them. He was granted permission, and set off immediately. Upon seeing him, his little brother, Asteri, and his mother and father, ran to meet him:

15884450243_73ab8dc6fe.jpg

16478605366_caacd22079.jpg

16318690677_471175f6ed.jpg

16503590852_3b31c97c42.jpg

16504604665_63c4c98587.jpg

More pics here: link

All comments/constructive criticism greatly appreciated :classic:

Edited by LittleJohn

I like the trees the most. My only sore point being I don't think olive green goes to well with this but that's just me. I think regular green blends a bit better. An aesthetically pleasing build none the less.

LOVE that SNOT base! I also really dig your palm trees using the bamboo pieces, especially the ones with the round plates and "flowers" as the trunks -- I may borrow that!

I disagree with blufiji about the olive green -- I think the transition from green to olive green as you move away from the oasis is really natural, for a desert scene. Personally, I find the dark orange plates a bit distracting; the brightness is a bit to contrast-y with the otherwise muted sandiness.

Overall, though, another brilliant build!

Excellent build, LJ, great job with the water and the trees :thumbup: The other vegetation and the landscape are awesome as well - the colors work fine for me :classic:

Good work LittleJohn, the palm trees and the SNOT base are really nice but what sells this MOC is the slanted water - a great touch! :thumbup:

I really like the way you made water. Great base also there mate and excellent photography!

That water is so cool!

Thanks, Graham :classic:

I like the trees the most. My only sore point being I don't think olive green goes to well with this but that's just me. I think regular green blends a bit better. An aesthetically pleasing build none the less.

Thanks, I'll have to try without olive green sometime :wink:

LOVE that SNOT base! I also really dig your palm trees using the bamboo pieces, especially the ones with the round plates and "flowers" as the trunks -- I may borrow that!

I disagree with blufiji about the olive green -- I think the transition from green to olive green as you move away from the oasis is really natural, for a desert scene. Personally, I find the dark orange plates a bit distracting; the brightness is a bit to contrast-y with the otherwise muted sandiness.

Overall, though, another brilliant build!

Thanks for the feedback! Glad you like the base :sweet:

Very good scene, beautifully designed - no need to worry about olive, choice of colours is fine for me.

(Water running at a different angle! :wink: )

Thanks, CB :classic:

This is a nice build. Indeed the trees are very well done.

Thank you!

Nice work on the ground! Also the water and trees look nice!

Excellent build, LJ, great job with the water and the trees :thumbup: The other vegetation and the landscape are awesome as well - the colors work fine for me :classic:

Thanks, Garmadon! glad you like it :sweet:

Good work LittleJohn, the palm trees and the SNOT base are really nice but what sells this MOC is the slanted water - a great touch! :thumbup:

Thanks, the water was a little tricky to attach, but turned out well I think :classic:

Nice job. This is really good. You're off to a great start here!

Thanks, NM! :sweet:

Great build! Love the base! :thumbup:

Thanks, glad you like it!

I really like the way you made water. Great base also there mate and excellent photography!

Thanks, Gunman :sweet:

Nice! I like the trees, base and water (so all of it!).

Thanks, LV!

Wow, this has so much clever building techniques in it! Love those trees and the angled water best!

Nice build ! I love the water.

Like Sarah said, I really like the olive green in there. The base looks great too.

Me too! :wub:

Thanks, glad you like it!

Wow, this has so much clever building techniques in it! Love those trees and the angled water best!

Thanks, Jorrith! :sweet:

Very cool landscape, LittleJohn. The angled water and trees are especially cool, and I like the goats being watered :thumbup:

Very cool landscape, LittleJohn. The angled water and trees are especially cool, and I like the goats being watered :thumbup:

Thanks, glad you like the goats :classic:

Great work Little John, it's awesome to see you jumping straight into the mix! You've certainly made a nice contribution in just your first few weeks around here.

Anyways, the build is quite lovely. The snotted water section looks great and the border is quite nifty. Great landscaping too. Sweet idea using those brown flower petals for a palm trunk!

My only suggestion here is pointed at the photography. The lighting looks perfect, but on each of the photos there seems to be a blurry spot here or there. That can be easily fixed by setting your camera's f-stop (aperture) to a higher number and getting a wider depth of field. You'll most likely need a tripod or some other camera support to do that. In any case, a small nitpick for a great build!