Hi Mr. Grum64

Your perseverance and dedication both amazes and inspires me! I would like to see this thing in full glory as I own this 42009 and this is what brought me back to Lego after my dark ages

Are the linear actuator's gears correct on both sides? I am not an expert but won't they be on the opposite sides?

Sorry I am only pointing out my concern as your undaunted effort shouldn't go waste for a gear on a LA

Hello Technically Savvy and welcome to Eurobricks

Thank you for your kind comments.

The linear actuators bevel gears on the wrong way? Oh good Lord I hope not!

I've looked at Jurgens excellent instructions & scoured the internet looking for information on this and everything points to them being correct but if anyone knows otherwise please do tell me.

As for you being sorry for mentioning this, please don't be. I appreciate you saying. I'd much, much rather have a mistake, potential or otherwise, pointed out than finish the build and find something to be wrong that requires a lot of dismantling to put right.

Edited by grum64

*sheepish*

Yeah the gears on the LAs should both face inwards.

No they should not!

The gears are now positioned right as they should. It feels a little odd, because they break the symmetry this way, but it is needed to ensure that the two linear actuators are elongated the same amount when they rotate upwards as the beam is lifted.

It was one of the few flaws in both the 8043 and the 42009 design, where the designers didn't do that. The difference in elongation is alomst half a stud if I recall correctly, effectively making one linear actuator bearing all the load instead of sharing it between the two.

No they should not!

The gears are now positioned right as they should. It feels a little odd, because they break the symmetry this way, but it is needed to ensure that the two linear actuators are elongated the same amount when they rotate upwards as the beam is lifted.

It was one of the few flaws in both the 8043 and the 42009 design, where the designers didn't do that. The difference in elongation is alomst half a stud if I recall correctly, effectively making one linear actuator bearing all the load instead of sharing it between the two.

Thank you very much for taking the time to explain the reason why those bevel gears are positioned the way they are. It makes me appreciate Jurgens design even more.

No they should not!

Wow! thats knowledge, :blush: I am sorry for causing a scare and I am glad that its correct.

Go Mr. Grum let's fire her up :excited:

Grum, i really admire you - i have build the ultimate too and yes, the instructions are very very good but i can't imagine building this without using two hands... keep your building :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

BTW: maybe my posting about my building experience of the ultimate 42009 could be helpful for you: http://www.eurobrick...50#entry2084368

especially for the superstructure there are some hints and fixes....

Edited by Kumbbl

Grum, you're the man! That's incredible what you do :thumbup: I'm newbie AFOL and just started to build Technic sets and now trying to make mods/mocs and your example encourage me to try my best when I try to think out of the box and create something. Keep up the good work man :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Edited by MacKaiwer

Grum, i really admire you - i have build the ultimate too and yes, the instructions are very very good but i can't imagine building this without using two hands... keep your building :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

BTW: maybe my posting about my building experience of the ultimate 42009 could be helpful for you: http://www.eurobrick...50#entry2084368

especially for the superstructure there are some hints and fixes....

Hi Kumbbl

Thank you for your kind comments and encouragement. Thank you also for the link to your hints etc., which I was already familiar with.

Hints 1 & 2: I don't think these will be relevant to my build as I'll be replacing the IR receivers with Sbricks.

Hint 3: I'm part way through implementing.

Hint 4: I'll consider once the Sbricks are connected in & in place.

Hint 5: Although a good idea I'm too far into the build.

Hint 6: I'll implement when I get to that stage of the build.

Hint 7: Already implemented

Thanks again.

Edited by grum64

Grum, you're the man! That's incredible what you do :thumbup: I'm newbie AFOL and just started to build Technic sets and now trying to make mods/mocs and your example encourage me to try my best when I try to think out of the box and create something. Keep up the good work man :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thank you for your kindness. As for me being 'the man' I'm not too sure about that but thank you anyway :classic:

I've seen your Desert Buggy MOD & look forward to seeing more of your builds.

Should you need it, you'll find all the inspiration you need and more just by looking through the pages of this forum. There are so many amazing MOC's & MOD's by some supremely talented builders who, like many others here, will be only too pleased to provide help/advice if you ever need it.

Edited by grum64

Yes, grum, you are wise and sharp at the matter, I, as usual, can maybe to be quite messed up with my delivery, that I admit... I just want to say that your spirit, not-giving-back attitude and your outstanding positive outcome is something which should give everybody a best example how to solve and resolve matters... What I'm trying to say with my lousy english, you inspire me and make me to believe that I can, because you can, no matter what :thumbup: Just love you man :classic:

Edited by MacKaiwer

Yes, grum, you are wise and sharp at the matter, I, as usual, can maybe to be quite messed up with my delivery, that I admit... I just want to say that your spirit, not-giving-back attitude and your outstanding positive outcome is something which should give everybody a best example how to solve and resolve matters... What I'm trying to say with my lousy english, you inspire me and make me to believe that I can, because you can, no matter what :thumbup: Just love you man :classic:

Thank you. You're very kind.

Yes, we miss you, I've been asking myself about your progress here for the last week or so. I hope you're doing well!

Yes, we miss you, I've been asking myself about your progress here for the last week or so. I hope you're doing well!

Yes, I had some private message conversation with grum64 few weeks ago and I miss him too... I think he's one of the most positive persons I've ever known! All good to You my friend grum :classic:

How is your progres growing with the ultimate 42009 Grum ?!

Yes, I had some private message conversation with grum64 few weeks ago and I miss him too... I think he's one of the most positive persons I've ever known! All good to You my friend grum :classic:

Thank you all for your interest & kind comments.

How's progress?

Building's at a standstill at the moment due to component failure! Not LEGO but the backrest on my wheelchair which has broken and as it's the only one I have that I can build from things have come to a halt. A very frustrating halt!

My frustration's made worse by me now having all the parts needed for Christophe Moittie's extended boom and, thanks to the generosity of the guys at Vengit, a pair of Sbricks which I'll be incorporating into the build.

On the upside it'll give me chance to tinker with the LDD Cobra which I've neglected since starting the U42009.

Hopefully the new backrest will be here in the next week or so.

Yep, frustrating sums things up nicely :angry:

Edited by grum64

thanks to the generosity of the guys at Vengit, a pair of Sbricks which I'll be incorporating into the build.

Upgrading the wheelchair with them? Great idea, but wait for the app update so it steers properly. You should probably make a separate WIP topic, though.

Upgrading the wheelchair with them? Great idea, but wait for the app update so it steers properly. You should probably make a separate WIP topic, though.

:laugh_hard::laugh_hard::laugh_hard:

Edited by grum64

No, sorry, I wouldn't put an SBrick on the chair, too many layers of software and all of them can let you down at some point... literally.

Great to have you back, Grum :classic:

Edited by miguev

No, sorry, I wouldn't put an SBrick on the chair, too many layers of software and all of them can let you down at some point... literally.

Unless of course I use one here...

http://www.eurobrick...=73378&hl=meyra

I might actually get round to building it one day :classic:

Great to have you back, Grum :classic:

Thank you. Hopefully normal :wacko: service will be resumed very soon :classic:

Now where was I? Oh yeah...

Build Day 14 - 19/04/2015 / Build Time Today - 6hrs / Total Build Time - 68hrs

Well my friends, after an unexpected & lengthy break, today I'm back building and here's the results.

IMG_5194.JPG

IMG_5190.JPG

IMG_5193.JPG

IMG_5195.JPG

IMG_5191.JPG

IMG_5197.JPG

IMG_5198.JPG

IMG_5192.JPG

IMG_5196.JPG

Edited by grum64

Great to see you back Grum64 :thumbup: .

Lucky that you have sold the problems and can build again :sweet: .

The progress looks great and keep up the good work :thumbup: .

Great work! That can't have been an easy assembly! :thumbup:

Thank you.

Easy, no. Enjoyable, definately.

Great to see you back Grum64 :thumbup: .

Lucky that you have sold the problems and can build again :sweet: .

The progress looks great and keep up the good work :thumbup: .

Thank you Edwin, it's good to be back.