Build Day 5 - 23/02/2015

As much as I've enjoyed today's building, it's also been, in parts, the most frustrating day of the build so far.

The source of my frustrations? Steps 1-12 / Page 61-67.

If it wasn't me having a problem actually fixing parts it was the section of the build moving out of alignment/shape while I was trying to affix parts. Then there was the axles that kept falling out before 'locked in place' and to make matters worse, in my frustration I made a mistake that went unnoticed until just before the end of the days building.

The eagle eyed amongst you will have no doubt spotted 'the intruder' but for those who can't spot the little blighter, it's indicated on the last picture.

Here's today's build pics

IMG_4962.JPG

IMG_4963.JPG

IMG_4970.JPG

IMG_4979.JPG

IMG_4983.JPG

IMG_4987.JPG

My mistake? The axle indicated is a 12L instead of the correct 10L.

No building for the next few days but when I do get back to it I know what my first job is going have to be.

With that in mind, I don't want to have to disassemble the whole section so I aim to push the 12L out using the 10L, butting one up to the other as tightly as possible to avoid the gears etc falling out.

Eyes of needles come to mind!

Grum64 - I also have this problem of finicky axles falling out in the middle of a build - sometimes a temporary connector or bushing does the trick to keep them in place.

Grum64 - I also have this problem of finicky axles falling out in the middle of a build - sometimes a temporary connector or bushing does the trick to keep them in place.

Hi JGW3000

Good to hear from you again. I hope you're well.

Where possible I always do use connectors etc., to stop axles falling out but today was one of those days where logical thought was notable only by it's absence.

Mistakes are a part of creation. Your doing good so far. Don't give up, we are here with you.

Mistakes are a part of creation. Your doing good so far. Don't give up, we are here with you.

Ain't that the truth!

As for giving up, I think you know me better than that :laugh: Thank you for your support though.

Edited by grum64

Build Days 6 & 7 - 01/03/2015 & 04/03/2015

I've at last had a couple of days with a few free hours to get some building done, not a lot of building but all building is progress.

All went well with thankfully no mistakes, a couple of pins in the wrong hole but corrected before anything was connected to them.

IMG_4997.JPG

IMG_4998.JPG

IMG_5002.JPG

IMG_4999.JPG

IMG_5001.JPG

IMG_5003.JPG

I'm thinking about using Christophe Moittie's extended boom but it depends on me having the parts and if not whether I can get them at a reasonable cost and in time. We'll see.

Tomorrow, all being well, I've got a free day so should get a good bit done.

Edited by grum64

Looking good grum! Making me miss my ultimate! I built the extended boom too. The metal hook is ridiculously rare/expensive, so I skipped that part, but the other parts were common and thus inexpensive.

You are kicking the Models butt! Keep up the hard work!

Thank you :classic:

Looking good grum! Making me miss my ultimate! I built the extended boom too. The metal hook is ridiculously rare/expensive, so I skipped that part, but the other parts were common and thus inexpensive.

Thank you for your kind words.

I was wondering, does the extended boom fit straight on the model in place of the regular one or does fitting it mean altering the deck etc?

Edited by grum64

I was wondering, does the extended boom fit straight on the model in place of the regular one or does fitting it mean altering the deck etc?

No, I am pretty sure that you can just put it straight on:), it does hang over the cabin a bit more though

No, I am pretty sure that you can just put it straight on:), it does hang over the cabin a bit more though

Thank you. Bricklink here I come...

Build Day 8 - 05/02/2015

Today's been a good building day with, I feel, a decent amount of progress made. A few difficulties causing a few quiet 'utterances' but nothing that couldn't be be done.

Anyway, enough of my rambling, here's today's build pics.

IMG_5004.JPG

IMG_5005.JPG

IMG_5007.JPG

IMG_5010.JPG

This is moving along faster than I thought it would. Are you logging your time to see how many hours it took? Keep up the hard work.

Thank you.

I'm pleased with progress so far. As for logging the time, yes I have been but didn't add it to the posts as I didn't think anyone would be interested.

Build time so far totals just over 35hrs. I'll add each days build hours to my previous posts & will do in future ones.

Edited by grum64

Nice work, I really admire your perseverance. You might have explained already, but I'm curious how you approach a complex build like this. Do you use extra tools (Lego or otherwise) to keep parts in place while assembling? The challenge of mounting a complex subassembly such as the 42009 boom, assembling a gearbox, weaving a cable through a model or even put bushings on an axle seems quite big without the use of hands.

Respect.

Nice work, I really admire your perseverance. You might have explained already, but I'm curious how you approach a complex build like this. Do you use extra tools (Lego or otherwise) to keep parts in place while assembling? The challenge of mounting a complex subassembly such as the 42009 boom, assembling a gearbox, weaving a cable through a model or even put bushings on an axle seems quite big without the use of hands.

Respect.

Good Evening Cumulonimbus

Thank you taking the time to write such kind words.

I think the best way to answer your question is for you to read my first my Eurobricks post. From what I recall the answers to most of your questions can be found there.

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=67664&hl=grum64

I hope this answers your questions but if there's anything you'd like to know please feel to ask either here or by PM.

Thanks again.

Edited by grum64

@grum64.........thanks for starting and sharing this post.

Your photo progress is very helpful and inspiring, that anyone, as yourself can overcome any obstacle to enjoy building these plastic beams/bricks.

I will refer to this when I start building my Ultimate 42009, I've had the parts ready for over a year! :blush:

@grum64.........thanks for starting and sharing this post.

Your photo progress is very helpful and inspiring, that anyone, as yourself can overcome any obstacle to enjoy building these plastic beams/bricks.

I will refer to this when I start building my Ultimate 42009, I've had the parts ready for over a year! :blush:

Referring to my build pictures while you build your Ultimate? Oh dear, that's pressure. I'll need to make doubly sure I get the right pieces in the right place :laugh:

I appreciate your kind comments.

Edited by grum64

I think the best way to answer your question is for you to read my first my Eurobricks post. From what I recall the answers to most of your questions can be found there.

http://www.eurobrick...67664&hl=grum64

I hope this answers your questions but if there's anything you'd like to know please feel to ask either here or by PM.

Aha, that was the topic I was looking for. Thank you for the link, you explained clearly how you manage these amazing feats.

I really admire how you're not limited by the circumstances, I'm not sure I would be that strong.

Many happy builds!

Aha, that was the topic I was looking for. Thank you for the link, you explained clearly how you manage these amazing feats.

I really admire how you're not limited by the circumstances, I'm not sure I would be that strong.

Many happy builds!

Happy to help. I'm not so sure about the clarity of my explanations though. As you probably noticed, I have a tendency to ramble on a bit.

As for whether or not you'd be 'as strong', I think you're confusing strength with stubbornness :laugh:

Everytime you just amaze me Grum64 :thumbup: :thumbup:

And just like others said: HAPPY BUILDING.

Thank you Edwin :thumbup:

Build Day 9 - 09/03/2015 - Build Time Today 6hrs - Total 41hrs

On the whole, today's been a good day.

There was however, a fly in the ointment in the shape of the 'engine'. Those familiar with my other posts will know that besides diffs, assembling 'engines' cause me more grief than anything else & today was no exception. Took me an hour and 40 minutes but it got done and that's the main thing.

One other annoyance. After attaching the Outrigger motor I thought it a good idea to hook it up to the battery box and check I'd not made any mistakes with them before going any further.

Upon sliding the switch there was a brief whirring noise then nothing. Sliding the switch the other way had the same result :angry:

The culprit. The 12 tooth bevel gear on the top of the rear right mini actuator was inboard instead of outboard. Thankfully putting it right was a simple job but I tell you, I was thinking major disassembly!

Anyway, I've gone on long enough, here's today's pics. My apologies for the quality, I was on camera duty again.

IMG_5016.JPG

IMG_5018.JPG

IMG_5023.JPG

IMG_5020.JPG

IMG_5019.JPG

Busy few days ahead so no building :sad: All being well normal service will be resumed towards the end of the week.

Edited by grum64