Build Day 23 - 3 June 2015 - Build Time Today - 3.5hrs / Total Build Time - 95hrs

Another day, another collection of parts cobbled together.

Those who've read this and other of my posts will know how much of a pain I find the curved panels are to build with. Today was no exception, there were 8 of them with a good few more to come in the next stages :hmpf_bad:. They're tricky so & so's to handle especially when several are joined and can be a job to connect anything too.

Whilst reading the 42009 Extended Boom topic last night I came across therealjustin's solution to the 3rd stage not retracting fully especially under gravity or when at shallow angles. His idea for a second return cable is brilliantly simple & with his permission I'd like to implement it when I get that far.

There's not really much else to say so here's the 2 pics from today's building.

IMG_5478.JPG

IMG_5480.JPG

Edited by grum64

The finishline is getting in sight... Keep those updates coming

Hi Jeroen

I've still a way to go yet but yes, the main build is nearly done. I've then just to fit the lights kindly made for me by EB member Zmei_gorini4, replace the IR Receivers with Sbricks and it'll be done.

All the old stickers have been removed from the carrier now (thank you Gilly :wub:) but I'm still undecided about applying a new set though.

As for the updates, I'll have a few more to post yet. You have been warned :classic:

Edited by grum64

Build Day 24 - 5 June 2015 - Build Time Today - 2hrs / Total Build Time - 97hrs

Not too much to say about today's building as all went pretty well. A few frustrations here & there but nothing too bad. Threading the string was fun :hmpf_bad:

You may notice in pic 3 that the 'assembly' on the end of the upper boom part has been removed. This was to make it easier for me to join the upper & lower parts of the boom together.

Heres today's pics.

IMG_5483.JPG

IMG_5481.JPG

IMG_5486.JPG

IMG_5488.JPG

Edited by grum64

Good progress, Grum64. How did you manage the string? I thought it would be a bigger challenge.

Thank you Bart. Threading the string was a frustration but repetition it got done. I just kept at it.

Juuuust ordered my 42009...might have to borrow a few ideas ;)

The 42009 is a good set but if you have the extra parts needed I'd recommend building Jurgens Ultimate version with Christophe Moittie's Extended Boom. You won't be sorry, it's a great build.

Edited by grum64

Build Day 25 - 10 June 2015 - Build Time Today - 3.5hrs / Total Build Time - 100.5hrs

Good Evening All

Today's been a good day with good progress & no mistakes.

The only problem I came across was due to me miss ordering a part from BL. Instead of ordering 32249 3x3 curved thin liftarms I ordered 32250 5x3 curved thin liftarms. It's not stopped the build & as it doesn't look out of place I'll leave it and just 'tidy up' the open end with a 3 axle and a couple of half bushes.

The end of this build is well & truly in sight now, I think another day should do it.

Here's today's pictures.

IMG_5491.JPG

IMG_5492.JPG

IMG_5493.JPG

IMG_5494.JPG

IMG_5495.JPG

IMG_5496.JPG

IMG_5497.JPG

IMG_5498.JPG

IMG_5499.JPG

Edited by grum64

Nice progress my friend :thumbup: And now over 100 hours fun, that's cool :classic: Little bit more and we'll see pictures of a one beautiful masterpiece :thumbup:

Are you going to play with it once it's done, or is it going in a nice display case? Either you are almost there, keep up the awesome effort.

Nice progress my friend :thumbup: And now over 100 hours fun, that's cool :classic: Little bit more and we'll see pictures of a one beautiful masterpiece :thumbup:

Thank you. I'm looking forward to seeing what it looks like it in one piece.

Almost done :thumbup: I really admire your patience with this

Thank you.

Edited by grum64

Are you going to play with it once it's done, or is it going in a nice display case? Either you are almost there, keep up the awesome effort.

This will be the first PF build I'll be able to use as I've replaced the IR Receivers with a pair of Sbricks so yes, I'll have a little play with it.

It'll not be a display piece as we've not got the room. It'll stay assembled for a while so Jake & George can play with it then it'll be taken apart :sad: ready for the day I get round to building the Grove GMK6400.

Edited by grum64

Great Progress Grum64 and like this nice stone under your boom :wink::thumbup:

Thank you Edwin. The stone is one of the coasters I use to press parts against to help join them together. It has highish straight edges that stops parts moving about or 'jumping up'.

I hope this makes sense.

Hello Everyone

I hope you are all well.

After 33 build days and a total build time of 131hrs I'm very proud to say my Ultimate 42009 is finished.

To say it's been a hugely enjoyable process is an understatement. Yes there have been a few mistakes leading to frustrations but they were all of my own making & took nothing away from the pleasure building this brilliant set has given me.

I'm sorry for not posting pics of the final coulpe of stages of the build. I dropped my phone one too many times & it gave up the ghost.

To be honest the final few days were mainly just taken up doing 'odd jobs'.

Stringing the booms 3rd section return.

The string that came with the set kept getting caught up when retracting the boom so I bought a spool of 0.2mm 40lb breaking strain nanofibre fishing line as it was thin, strong & was guaranteed not to tangle.

After threading and extending the boom I then retracted it and initially all was fine but about half way in the 3rd section stopped and that was it. It couldn't even be pushed in. Sure enough the line had got caught between the boom sections. When the section was pulled out the so called no tangle line had done just that. Tried the Lego string again and had the same result as before. The return string has now been removed until I find another way to retract it, whether that be with strong, thinner string or a mechanical solution I'll have to see.

Time was also spent removing the battery box as it was difficult for me to turn it on/off. I replaced it with an 88000 AAA battery box and fitted a few parts in the battery bay to hold it in place.

As the on/off button was buried fairly deep in the chassis I've made a 'probe' from a 9L grey axle (easier to see in the dark confines of the chassis) with a couple of joined connectors on the end for grip. Works a treat.

The battery box on the superstructure has also received some attention as I found removing it to be a tad difficult and replacing it most frustrating so I came up with the solution below.

IMG_5610.JPG

Now I just have to pull the two grey pins and slide the battery box off the axles and vice versa. No more frustrations.

The remainder of the time was taken up with siting the Sbricks.

This was easily done on the superstructure but it proved a little difficult fitting them on the carrier.

Originally I'd sited the Sbrick controlling Drive, Steering & Outriggers on the lower of the 2 9L Lift Arm to the rear of the engine. This was fine until I decided to add headlights (rear ones yet to be fitted) & roof mounted flashing lights and wanted to be able to make use of the Light Button on Vengits 42009S profile I used a 3rd Sbrick. Fine in principle but where to site it? I considered removing the engine, putting it, along with the other Sbrick, in there & making an engine cover to hide them, all the wiring & the small motherboard controlling the flashing lights. In the end I decided to try fitting the 3rd Sbrick beside the engine.

Initially it wouldn't fit but after removing the connectors from A port and placing them on the D port the height was reduced by one stud enabling it to sit 'inside' the 5x11 Panel. Once in place it sits fairly tight up against the engine which though less than ideal is fine for now. Power to the 3rd Sbrick is provided by daisy chaining it to the Carrier Sbrick.

To allow room for the second connector I fitted a 9L Lift Arm between the other 2 behind the engine. Fitting the Sbrick to this provided the clearance needed. For those who may not be familiar with Sbricks, the port for power is sited underneath the brick.

The wires are still a tad untidy for my liking but they'll get sorted out soon.

Well, that's about it. After all this time it's now complete.

That just leaves a few thank you's.

The biggest thank you of all must go to my Darling Wife, Gilly, our family & freinds. Their love & support for everything I do has always been limitless and in the case of my Lego hobby (obsession!) doubly so. I love you all.

A huge thank you also to all at Vengit.

I've built numerous PF models and after building I miss out on the whole play thing many of you look forward to so once our wonderful Grandsons, other Family members and Friends have had their fun the sets are dismantled, put in their boxes and into storage they go (I've nowhere to display them but more on that another time).

With no prompting from me Vengit very generously donated the Sbricks to me enabling me at last to control my PF builds. As I'm sure you can imagine, this has made a unbelievable difference to me. Thanks Again Guys.

Thank you also to Eurobricks member Zmei_gorini4 for making the flashing lights for me.

Finally a big thank you goes to you, my freinds here at Eurobricks for your support, very kind comments, hints and tips.

Now for some pictures. These were taken by Jake, apparently it was something 'he simply to do'. I'll be getting some better ones taken soon(ish) to replace them. Jake says 'he's cool with this'. Grandchildren, don't you just love 'em?

IMG_5616.JPG

IMG_5617.JPG

IMG_5621.JPG

IMG_5618.JPG

IMG_5619.JPG

IMG_5625.JPG

IMG_5623.JPG

IMG_5628.JPG

IMG_5637.JPG

IMG_5629.JPG

IMG_5630.JPG

Jake had the idea to use the Jack Stone Figures as with their knees being jointed they sit better on the seats. Also, they're a better scale wise. The normal Minifigures are too small & the Technic Guys, too big.

IMG_5624.JPG

Edited by grum64

I truly must congratulate you on the amazing accomplishment! 131 build hours! Mind blown! I also want to thank you, it's been great reading through this post, had a lot of fun!

Congrats mine friend and this is a mile stone for your prestation to build this ultimate 42009 :thumbup: :thumbup:

Congratulations on completing this complex model . Now what's the next challenge? I'm sure whatever it is you can conquer it :classic:

Congratulations Grum64! I was wondering why there hasn't been an update on this project and now you gave the answer. I'm in awe of your perseverance and strong will. Kudos, my friend.