AlmightyArjen

Fully automated Lego train coal terminal

Yes. I needed a hopper wagon design in which I could put a motor and a small linear actuator. After looking up some designs of real life hopper wagons, I came up with this version.

And here's the timelapse of the set up of the coal terminal:

Now you can really show how large this set-up is, even more impressive

Will you show us how the hoppers work?

Yes I want to make a how-it-works video on that. I already explained a bit on my Work-In-Progress channel. Here's the video that explaines how the unload procedure works:

This is just pure genius. I can barely tie my shoes most days if I'm lucky.

I'm also very envious of your colour-coordinator trains no hoppers - very sharp looking for sure. I may have to copy that idea sometime.

nice work, do you make use of "reed switshses" in the tracks ?, my youngster gave me some raspberry pi's to learn program and for later use in train tracks, now i use a ev3 to auto-run two trains.

9V tracks are easy to controle, I have problems to controle RC train motors, if someone have a cleu(hint)

nice work, do you make use of "reed switshses" in the tracks ?

No I use IR optical sensors to detect wether there is a train or not...

A lot of failing was happening during the commissioning of the coal terminal: here's an overwiew :)

What kind of sensors Arjen? I'm going to try some TCRT5000's to see if I can detect extreeeeeemely close proximity while hiding the sensors inside bricks.

That's all really quite impressive, the level of planning and all the trial and error behind it all.

This train tech can get quite out of control as a hobby, can't it?

I use these sensors:

http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/sensors/sensors-proximity/sharp-distance-sensor-5cm

Never tried to hide them between the rails though. I think it would fit if you raise the rails with one or two plates.

This train tech can get quite out of control as a hobby, can't it?

Yes and every time I try something more complex. During the commissioning of the coal terminal I sometimes thought: "why am I doing this again?". :laugh:

The whole layout was huge and really impressive to see, but then all the automation! OMG it is crazy. I loved the camera on the train part, that was a cool view. You should definitely do more of that! You truly have an engineer's mind.

No I use IR optical sensors to detect wether there is a train or not...

A lot of failing was happening during the commissioning of the coal terminal: here's an overwiew :)

It has been a long time since I've laughed that hard at a lego creation. All the more impressive to see what you have really put into this work.

hi

your automation is amazing, next step should be a full lego solution.

Thanks but won't happen: the NXT platform doesn't offer enough possibilities to build these kind of things and is waaaay more expensive ;)

Technic should help with some automation may be : i mean mechanical swich for example.

I've uploaded an extra footage video of the coal terminal. In this video are shots that weren't in the original video. Enjoy! :)