AlmightyArjen

Fully automated Lego train coal terminal

After 7 months of engineering and building, I'm proud that I can present you my new video! In the video you'll see three coal trains riding around. They can load at two silos and unload at the main terminal. The unloaded coals are delivered by conveyor belts and an excavator to the loading silos, so a continuous loop is possible!

The unloading part is the most complicated part of the structure: pneumatic cilinders will push a conductor to the bottom of the wagons, where also a conductor is located. These conductors power motors in the wagon which open a hatch in the bottom of the Lego coal wagon. The coals drop on a conveyor belt and are transported with other conveyor belts and an excavator to the silos.

It's all automated by 6 Arduino controllers (including the arduino that controls the passenger trains). I cleared out the living room (GF was away for a few days, as planned) with a friend of mine and after 12 hours of setting the whole thing up we could finally begin with running some trains and commission the whole thing! Obviously the whole thing didn't work at once, so a hilarious fails-video is on the way too. Enjoy, share and let me know what you think of it! :classic:

Another fabulous layout and with more automation. It seems to be a nice cross of LEGO trains and the older PC game Railroad Tycoon with hauling coal and passengers.

As for the construction workers not working - I see that is a global problem and not just across the pond. Thanks for sharing!

Wow, this is a great layout!

I really like it, you must have spend much time on this project.

I could watch this system the whole day.

Thanks for sharing.

Dave

Edited by Dave21

I like all your videos but last is absolutely stunning.

Make me want to return to write programs, even if i have worked mainly with mainframe and Arduino is another world.

That's pretty awesome. Have you ever considered building an automated layout for Lego/model shows?

That would be a brilliant layout even without the automated coal depot! Really nice work, any chance of more pic/video to see some more details?

Excellent.

The minifigs are like real human workers nowadays - constantly engaged in their own 'meetings' as the machines do the work.

This looks like something to have at a Lego Convention layout! Outstanding work!

Keep on Birck'in

-RailCo

P.S. Can I just borrow this maybe I would say only for about forever? That is okay right? :wink:

Oh wow! Another insanely cool layout... I guess it must be time to retire though, you're toys have gotten smart enough that they can play without you. (grin)

Thanks for all the nice comments! I never considered doing this for a Lego show, mainly because it took us 2 days to set it all up and finetune everything. Maybe some smaller scale project some day ;) For the ones who didn't have enough: there will be an extra footage video in a month or so :)

Hi.

Nice layout.

Could you show us some details about the hopper wagons?

How does the automatic deload works.

I think over an function to open and close my hoppers for a while. But there's no good idea to solve this problem.

MTM

I've been following your videos avidly Arjen, and this latest one is truly epic.

And thanks again for answering my questions on Arduinos and power. I've got 4 L298Ms running from my Arduino Mega now, so I hope to post some similar videos myself soon :D

Edited by Richfilth