Sign in to follow this  
Bregir

Ramparts of New Town (HSS: Military)

As the Trifork spread accross the banks to the north side of the river, New Town appeared. During the Revolword wars, the Lord Mayor of the Trifork ordered ramparts build to ensure the safety of this new neighbourhood.

16493761185_57354d67d3_c.jpg

These were build by setting heavy logs into the ground and stacking stone and dirt on both sides about 3 meters in height. For the top part of logs still exposed, they were reinforced by an additional row of logs and a walkway for the patrols was established behind this wall. It is manned by the now reformed militia of the Trifork, armed with fine Shadowmere steel and trained by experienced warriors.

16492763362_f72cc0d790_c.jpg

While not as formidable as a stone city wall, the ramparts are resilient to siege weapons, gives the defenders a favourable position for fighting, breaks any enemy charge, and is cheap and easy to maintain and improve.

16306032108_9fb02be56e_c.jpg

With the Drow incursions, a large battle in the nearby Wither Woods, aggressive Mitgardian dwarves, civil war in Nocturnus, and new rumours of troubles brewing in Kaliphlin, plans are being made to expand the northern defenses with a moat, wooden spikes and a number of bastions, but work has not yet commenced. The inhabitants of New Town can only hope this will not prove a catastrophic delay...

I love how much detail you've put into the stir of this build! It's really cool to see all the connections you're making to other builders. As for the build, I like the wall a lot, but I think the hill has too many colors. Maybe use fewer or just concentrate more of one color in one place.

Nice build! I like how the wood goes down into the ground :thumbup:

As others have said, possibly a few less colors in the landscape, but other than that it looks good :classic:

Keep it up :wink:

Nice little scene, Bregir, I like the references to other events happing across the Guilds. I hate to sound redundant but I agree the colors could be toned down a bit (though, I have a feeling your color scheme and technique would look really good on a bigger scale). The palisade looks good too. I wonder if using 1x2 cones in tan instead of brown would make the logs look a tad more realistic since the wood underneath the bark would be a lighter color. Otherwise, nice work!

I really like the palisade you built--simple and effective. The story is great as well.

I wonder if using 1x2 cones in tan instead of brown would make the logs look a tad more realistic since the wood underneath the bark would be a lighter color. Otherwise, nice work!

I was thinking this as well at first. However, after thinking about it for a while, I would think the logs get some kind of treatment to keep them from being easily being out on fire. Although I'm not real sure how they would actually look, I'm guessing they'd be fairly uniform from point to bottom. A lot of the bark from the middle portions would also have to be remove somewhat, to keep the logs round enough to make a fairly sound fence. Of course this is all speculation, as I've never really seen anything like this. :)

Edited by MiloNelsiano

Very nice work! :classic:

I really like the way you made the hill and the wall.

Edited by Balbo

Nice palisade, Bregir, I like the idea of building up mounds on each side :thumbup: I agree with the others that a few less colors might help, but the mound in front does look good :classic:

I like how the cutaway shows the palisade stakes buried in the ground :thumbup: Neat battlements and stairs too :classic:

I don't know that you need -fewer- colors, so much as different colors. In the embankment, it would make more sense to use grays instead of browns -- stones instead of chunks of wood. But if you're working with a limited number of bricks, you use what you have. :classic:

As others have said, I really enjoy that this build works so well with the current political environments of GoH.

Thanks all - glad you like it. I have noted your thoughts on the colours.

It was fun writing up a small story placing this build in the ongoing events - and I am happy to hear you appreciate it! :blush: As I have said before, I really enjoy the intertwined storylines of Historica, and hope we will see more of this in the future.

Nice little scene, Bregir, I like the references to other events happing across the Guilds. I hate to sound redundant but I agree the colors could be toned down a bit (though, I have a feeling your color scheme and technique would look really good on a bigger scale). The palisade looks good too. I wonder if using 1x2 cones in tan instead of brown would make the logs look a tad more realistic since the wood underneath the bark would be a lighter color. Otherwise, nice work!

Thank you - your collab has been a great inspiration towards this. I had the same thoughts on the cones, but figured that after a very short time, the logs would have the same colour all over. It would only be lighter in a short period after being sharpened. :classic:

I really like the palisade you built--simple and effective. The story is great as well.

I was thinking this as well at first. However, after thinking about it for a while, I would think the logs get some kind of treatment to keep them from being easily being out on fire. Although I'm not real sure how they would actually look, I'm guessing they'd be fairly uniform from point to bottom. A lot of the bark from the middle portions would also have to be remove somewhat, to keep the logs round enough to make a fairly sound fence. Of course this is all speculation, as I've never really seen anything like this. :)

Thanks - and agreed. :thumbup:

Glad to see the Shadowmere steel shipments are making it through the Black Spire attacks!

Nice wall!

There has been some losses underway, but most seem to make it. The weapon shipments are really shoring up the militia of the Trifork - Beorthan and the council hopes the Nocturnian Resistance is also prospering from the payments coming your way! :thumbup:

I like how the cutaway shows the palisade stakes buried in the ground :thumbup: Neat battlements and stairs too :classic:

Glad you noticed it - that was in fact the general idea of the build. :classic:

I don't know that you need -fewer- colors, so much as different colors. In the embankment, it would make more sense to use grays instead of browns -- stones instead of chunks of wood. But if you're working with a limited number of bricks, you use what you have. :classic:

As others have said, I really enjoy that this build works so well with the current political environments of GoH.

I am afraid I can't really hide behind a limited assortment of bricks in this regard :tongue:

However, the browns were meant to represent dirt, but I see how the colours are a bit muddled and confusing.