[MOD] Thor's Helmet

So ever since I laid eyes on TLG Hawkman's (DC) new helmet, I knew I wanted to make this MOD / MOC.

u7jVFs1.jpg

Build details:

• First order of business was to bend / mold the "wings" back as much as possible without causing any irreparable damage. Those familiar with the MCU helmet know the wings do not flare out on the sides, but lay "flatter" to the helmet.

nOyrvTA.jpg

• With a bit of trial and error, I got the wings as best as I could manage. I suppose I could have tried to fold back a tiny bit more, but I was getting worried that it was starting to damage the folds (there was a slight bit of visible "whitening" at the joints when I stopped -- no tearing -- these suckers are made of strong stuff -- but nonetheless decided to stop while I was ahead).

• Next was to Dremel the face plate to remove the "mask" and then to shave / smooth down the inner sides. This took a bit of "eyeballing", trial and error. It's not 100% symmetrical, but about as good as I'm gonna get.

• Finally, a nice coat of metallic Silver paint -- and boom -- done.

Final Version:

wo5hz37.jpg

sUkd2q1.jpg

“Whosoever wears this helmet, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor.”

Edited by agoodfella
Images too big. Turned into links.

Damn. That is fabulous.

Thanks!

Very nice! Thanks for the detailled description!

Happy to do it. I've got a few more MODs detailed in my Flickr photostream that I will try and post later.

Amazing work!

Thanks!

Did you heat gun the helmet to get the wings to bend?

Simple hair dryer should suffice to give it enough play.

Thanks!

Simple hair dryer should suffice to give it enough play.

Yeah, I use a heat gun on cool. I don't have a hair dryer, just DIY tools. :-)

Ive actually used a Zippo lighter before now on things which has been sat on a flat surface and I've moved the plastic to varying heights above it to loosen things up.

I used to collect miniature football (soccer for you North Americans) figures around 15 years or so ago and the moulding on those sometimes meant the base and legs could be a little off so they stood slightly strange... I just used the zippo method to loosen things up enough to straighten the stance.

Perish the thought now though!

I had seen this on flickr and had to say, FANTASTIC work. Love what you did with the piece very resourceful.

Its amazing how a little heat and plastic trimming can have such an impact on the overall look of that mask. I wonder what else could be done from the same hawkman mask. _J

Ive actually used a Zippo lighter before now on things which has been sat on a flat surface and I've moved the plastic to varying heights above it to loosen things up.

I used to collect miniature football (soccer for you North Americans) figures around 15 years or so ago and the moulding on those sometimes meant the base and legs could be a little off so they stood slightly strange... I just used the zippo method to loosen things up enough to straighten the stance.

Perish the thought now though!

John McClane would have approved!

I had seen this on flickr and had to say, FANTASTIC work. Love what you did with the piece very resourceful.

Its amazing how a little heat and plastic trimming can have such an impact on the overall look of that mask. I wonder what else could be done from the same hawkman mask. _J

Thanks for your kind words.

It really is amazing how much difference a little bit of heat and a little bit of pressure can make -- that sounds strangely familiar to the pitch I once made to my first GF....

Edited by agoodfella

Great to see that you had the vision to create something completely different from the original. Really impressive and the result is perfect.

Thanks for the kind words!

Great to see that you had the vision to create something completely different from the original.

it's even hard to tell which one is the original :)

With the paint did you have to prime the surface and then seal it afterwards? Or did you use a particular paint?

In the beginning, I used to prime. But the cost / benefit wasn't worth it.

I don't seal it, though that is probably because I'm not sure which sealer might work best (without altering the finish) -- though I am open to suggestions!

I typically use Citadel paints. They've been pretty solid.

By Odin's beard! It's wonderful! :wub:

I always felt Lego overlooked Thor's helmet, in fact that it should have featured more heavily in the films too.

By Odin's beard! It's wonderful! :wub:

I always felt Lego overlooked Thor's helmet, in fact that it should have featured more heavily in the films too.

Thanks! Yeah, I was disappointed that with 3 official Thor figures out there hasn't been a proper helmet.

But that's what MODs are for! :laugh: