Howdy folks :)

With the help of my children, I got back to Lego about a year ago, started to buy massively and then found my true purpose in life, Technic!

ROLUG was a great help to me and I began to build various cars for local TT contests, then I found Eurobricks and I participated in the Bionicle contest, as well.

Now, I consider myself a newbie in Technic and I mostly adapt existing models to my liking, but since recently I started to build my own MOCs from scratch.

What I want to show you guys is my latest creation, an arctic exploration vehicle based on the famous Thunderbirds show, namely The Mole, in my own interpretation.

This is my 2nd attempt at this, my first was ok for showing-off but could not actually move well on snow (lol), so now I am rebuilding it, with performance in mind.

I am basically building a high-profile tank with a huge drill in the front and another cool function which I prefer to keep secret, until it's working as I want.

My personal goal is to drive it head on into a snow bank and to pass through it like butter! (we can all dream, no?)

See the photos below and let me know what you think. Any suggestion or comment is welcomed, thank you all for watching.

16226063050_7b1efc98e1_b.jpg

16387494956_0ea000ddd8_b.jpg

16415687616_df17ec87e2_b.jpg

16439896211_95528b721c_b.jpg

If you are curious to see more photos and also what I have built so far, feel free to head over to my Flickr page. Enjoy :)

https://www.flickr.c...th/16439896211/

Edited by braker23

Nice idea with the massive wheel used as drill bit.

Thanks a lot, when I got this wheel, it was the first thing that I thought: perfect for my driller :)

Very nice. Looks like a TBM Tunnel Boring Machine.

You nailed it :) I was not sure what to call it, but it's an Ice/Snow TBM, for sure. Thanks for your support.

So, I almost finished the cockpit, reinforced the body and added Technic bricks on the treads, which are more than required on soft snow ;)

16507254562_c1810527c5_b.jpg

16320818720_444d09ea70_b.jpg

I will be the first to admit that I don't know a great deal about the structural requirements of tracked vehicles, but those legs look awfully flimsy to me.

I will be the first to admit that I don't know a great deal about the structural requirements of tracked vehicles, but those legs look awfully flimsy to me.

Agreed, those "legs" might look flimsy, but as the vehicle is heavy, I experienced no issues yet.

This is actually my version on the Christie suspension, I prefer springs probably cause of my TT background :)

As soon as I get some more bigger road wheels, I will try to improve it, at least for looks.

Looks like fun, I bet the Kids love it! What will the 4th function be?

Thanks, but my kids have not seen this yet, they are too small for Technic.

The 4th function should be ready by tomorrow, and I can only reveal that it's "boring" :)

So, this is my TBM (Tunnel Boring Machine), built for the sole purpose of breaking into snow banks, for the joy of my kids.

It uses 4 L motors and needs 2 IR receivers, so using an sBrick for it is the perfect choice, as under 30 cm of snow, IR will fail, Bluetooth will prevail ;)

Functions:

• L motor for left track
  • L motor for right track
  • L motor for main drill
  • L motor for the 4 side drills

Manual functions:

• Open-able 2-sided top
  • Small door to see the internals

Features

• Spring loaded track suspension
  • Back-loaded weight for balance

Pictures:

15921651523_2f4f5e913b_b.jpg16540783872_a02949ac07_b.jpg16354387690_7fd2b6d90c_b.jpg16354393400_851e0b4768_b.jpg16515844316_d6965c1ab0_b.jpg

Video just as a link, no clue how to embed it from Flickr. Anyone care to help? :)

https://flic.kr/p/qfYDWX

Love that you created something fictional; too many models in this forum are of real-life creations (not that there's anything wrong with that :tongue:)

Love that you created something fictional; too many models in this forum are of real-life creations (not that there's anything wrong with that :tongue:)

Thanks for your kind words, I too share your opinion, Lego is no meant only to replicate, but create using your imagination.

This reminds me on Flash Gordon cartoon and the part when they steal the Moles Drill-Vehicle, so they can drill their way into the Mings castle. Great!

This reminds me on Flash Gordon cartoon and the part when they steal the Moles Drill-Vehicle, so they can drill their way into the Mings castle. Great!

Never saw the full Flash Gordon cartoon, is this it? :)

Never saw the full Flash Gordon cartoon, is this it? :)

Oh yeah :) But your link does not show the machine very well. Here is my version:

Oh and I enjoyed that cartoon when I was a kid. Your machine may just inspire me to watch it over again now.

Edited by Milan

Oh yeah :) But your link does not show the machine very well. Here is my version:

Oh and I enjoyed that cartoon when I was a kid. Your machine may just inspire me to watch it over again now.

Thank you for the link, as a result I started to watch it too, it's a good old fashion cartoon :)

Edited by braker23