davidmull

Track end buffer.

I bought some from an eBay seller (I was feeling lazy that day), and they're pretty good (click the picture for link).

mP0paiZv6USCyejWSyxOBOQ.jpg

It's reasonably sturdy (more so in the direction the train will hit than in others) and comes with the strait track which is a bonus.

It's really a coincidence. I was just in the process of looking for ideas for a track end buffer when I saw this topic. After a little research on typical look for these items up where I live, I found out these are typically yellow steel beam structures, so I made two concepts from yellow technic beams/liftarms. Designs are simple but very sturdy due to the use of technic parts.

Any comments and/or proposals for improvement are welcome.

16294575979_74cfc164ca_z.jpg

16294934937_80d8a7bedc_z.jpg

Edited by Selander

I personally prefer the one on the right with the curved beams. Looks stunning!

Do you have a way to keep the buffer beam from flipping upward? I can't tell from the photos.

I personally prefer the one on the right with the curved beams. Looks stunning!

Do you have a way to keep the buffer beam from flipping upward? I can't tell from the photos.

As shown on pictures, the beam can be turned upwards if you grab it with your fingers and push vertically. However, rolling stock buffers will hit it horizontally, and then it will stay in place as it is supported from behind by the technic liftarms (eg. 32250).

I do not plan to do crash tests, but I can guarantee these designs are more sturdy than most brickbuilt end track buffers.

Edited by Selander

It's really a coincidence. I was just in the process of looking for ideas for a track end buffer when I saw this topic. After a little research on typical look for these items up where I live, I found out these are typically yellow steel beam structures, so I made two concepts from yellow technic beams/liftarms. Designs are simple but very sturdy due to the use of technic parts.

16294575979_74cfc164ca_z.jpg

16294934937_80d8a7bedc_z.jpg

What part is that grey piece connected to the track?

Looks like this part:

11458.jpg

Nice work. Good use of the Technic parts.

Never seen that part in a technic set. Might try get a part number they look handy.

I too like the one on the right with the curved bars, very nice (and great use of the 1x1 round plates for detailing)

I made another version today, after looking at the 1x2 rubber technic element used in the Nexo Knight 'Chaos Catapult'.

I came up with this:

26724050686_360c843728_z.jpgThe Nexo Knights Chaos Catapult sparked an idea about updating the train buffer.

26724050896_7c306190dc_z.jpgThe Nexo Knights Chaos Catapult sparked an idea about updating the train buffer.

The design ended up working really well.

Other views in the album.

Still need to refine the buffer design a bit..

Edited by marook

Anybody ever done a US style Haynes buffer?

Yes:

8487096047_824803af3e_z.jpg

Did this one a while ago. I'd be happy to share the design, though its pretty simple so you can probably figure most of it out by looking at the picture!

Yes:

Did this one a while ago. I'd be happy to share the design, though its pretty simple so you can probably figure most of it out by looking at the picture!

Not to slander your building, but does it actually work? Seems like it would just slide or tumble on impact.

Track end buffers are not meant to be hit with a train and wouldn't necessarily stop a train from overrunning the end of the track. You're meant to draw up to them slowly and stop short of them.

Yeah I don't think real life Haynes bumpers would stop a train either... I've seen a few crumpled up by the coupler on a train car that was accidentally pushed to close to them. I think they only work for really slow freight moves, or just help to remind engineers where to stop.

Not to slander your building, but does it actually work? Seems like it would just slide or tumble on impact.

It definitely wouldn't stop a train. I wanted to replicate the design of the Hayes bumper rather than create something to stop a runaway train. Like the others have mentioned, I'm not sure these are designed to stop a train at much more than minimal speed. I've seen much beefier ones (including this one) at passenger terminals and other places where stopping a runaway train is much more of a necessity.

Two sites (both in Dutch) with plenty of examples, both in stopping a train and only to mark the end of a track.