Bob De Quatre

[MOC] Old Republic - Crimson Pilgrim

Bob de Quatre, once again you've made an amazing ship! Great color scheme, great details, great techniques, great cockpit, and, if I remember correctly we haven't seen much of before in your MOCs, a great interior. :thumbup:

I have to admit though, that in terms of shape, although it does look good, it does look a bit less than the normal Bob-standard IMO. It feels a bit strange from about the radar dish up to the engines. I cannot really explain what it is, but perhaps something on the side here will make it look more appealing. This is your first ship in which, to me, it stands out a bit. But it also looks okay in the way it does now, it's just that the standard of the rest of the points is set better.

That's nice indeed, but my true target is BEAVeR. He didn't commented, and that may be a sign that he has nothing to say. And that would be a great victory :grin:

Is that a challenge?

You know I really like your ships. They're big, they're curvy, they're detailed, they're impossible. And this one is probably the jewel of your collection.

To begin with, I keep finding it incredible where you keep getting your inspiration for your ships. Do you start with a specific shape in your head, or a ship you want to base yourself on (I'm getting some republic frigate vibes from this one...), or do you just play with parts until you have an interesting shape at your fingertips? No matter how you do it, the results are stunning. Your ship oozes originality, but stays very much inside the Star Wars universe (it looks a bit like a Republic Frigate, but feels more like a Millennium Falcon. Beautiful combination!). The exposed greebles, and details like the radar dish at one side, asymmetrical engines, those sideways oriented radar dishes (pods?), they really scream Star Wars to me, and it's amazing how you get those details everyone forgets exactly right.

And then the shapes. You keep surprising us with the seemingly impossible shapes you realize. The cockpit is absolutely beautiful on this one. The combination of different canopy pieces give it a unique and sophisticated shape. I love these original combinations, and I think they're an improvement over how you centered some of your previous models around a single piece, although in an original position. I'm very curious to see what new cockpits you will keep inventing. Maybe you could make a more 'hidden' cockpit at some point, like with the Sith Infiltrator (if you are indeed making a counterpart for this ship :oh: ), just to give you a new challenge.

Apart from the cockpit itself, I totally dig how the cockpit emerges from the ship, with multiple lobs of curves. I would have liked to see it continue across the entire back of the ship (maybe explicitly branching towards the two engines!). Another possible improvement would be to continue that white stripe that runs across the side of the cockpit, to the front, to have some more continuity. It's also great how you made a rather acute angle work in your ship, by giving it a bit of a curve and placing the thin section connecting it to the cockpit. Again, I'd like to ask for more continuity in your shapes, by having the red stripe rimming those front mandibles coming from the belly of the ship, in between those dark grey stripes on the side, because it is a bit weird how you have those two parallel red stripes there, that end abruptly, and then one a heavy red stripe along those mandibles. I feel like that could have been handled cleaner.

The top of the detailed has just the right amount of details to keep it interesting, but not to clutter it. I love those radar dishes with the cannons. The angled sections are nice, I hope that you will use more of those deliberate gaps and offsets in your next builds, although it will be difficult to make them work together with curves. The exposed plates feela bit out of place though. That section looks a bit simple compared to the rest of the ship. And you don't have a lot of white in your ship, so it might be better only to use it for stripes in the direction of the length of the ship. If feel that some stripes parallel to each other with an offset between them, just like at the back of the ship, could be better.

Finally, the engine block. I really adored your earlier versions of these, but I have the impression they are a bit overloaded in the final model. I would have kept it simpler. And instead of the round dishes, that disrupt the beautiful wrapping shape of the engine block, I would have use a big curve of panels just to accentuate those pretty shapes, much like at the back of the Falcon. I do dig how the engines aren't identical though, and those flaps are terribly effective. The underside of the back, where the entrance is, has some beautiful shapes as well, although practically maybe it isn't perfectly sound. You see, the entrance is close to the engines. So when they're running, it could be dangerous to approach the ship. Therefore, you can't do quick pickup situations: the engines should be turned off first. Beginners mistake! (Do I sound authoritative when I pretend to know everything about spaceship architecture?) finally, the landing gear is beautifully detailed, and I love how the ship doesn't sit entirely level. gives it something dynamic in its resting position!

O, there is an interior as well? Then prepare for some more text. Because it is amazing. I love the Falcon vibe it has, with those tan rimmings of the corridors. Concerning corridors though, it's strange how you seem to have neglected the corridor leading to the cockpit. those walls aren't very pretty, and maybe a door would have been nice to keep the cockpit separated. It would be great to have a suggestion of maintenance hatches here and there in the floor as well, because know all the technology seems quite inaccessible (although I like to imagine there are some gloriously technical rooms hidden from view in the back of the ship. I love the speederbike in the back, and how you didn't forget to add stairs so that the crew can still get on and off the ship easily. Overall, it's a great interior, but I still don't get the wow like I do with exterior details, so I recommend playing with some furniture some more. O and finally, something that occured to me was that the ship has no visible escape pods or docking bays, making it a rather solitary ship. Or maybe... that's all part of the reason why this beauty is called the Pilgrim... You genius!

Yes, truly a stunning ship. you keep getting better and better, and I really enjoy taking it all in and (hopefully) presenting you with some useful feedback. Now I was just wondering if you will be keeping it to yourself or if you will be exhibiting it somewhere. That would be great. O, and we have LEGO exhibitions here in Belgium as well. Please? :wink:

Being excited about what you will do next almost seem ungrateful. So I'll be more than satisfied with this ship for a while longer. And although it's a week to late, I hope you still enjoy this in the meantime

gallery_5203_163_10909.png

My sincere congratulations with yet another masterpiece.

Wow that is an amazing looking ship! Those details, those curves. Just wow!

The front reminds me a little of the MISC Freelancer from Star Citizen.

It feels a bit strange from about the radar dish up to the engines. I cannot really explain what it is, but perhaps something on the side here will make it look more appealing. This is your first ship in which, to me, it stands out a bit. But it also looks okay in the way it does now, it's just that the standard of the rest of the points is set better.

Yep, it looks like a flying brick... I'm not totally satisfied by the end result. :sceptic:

Wow that is an amazing looking ship! Those details, those curves. Just wow!

The front reminds me a little of the MISC Freelancer from Star Citizen.

Thanks, I don't know that ship, but I'll have a look :wink:

*snip*

Thanks for your feedback BEAVeR :wink:

You expected something like this for the engines?

16584201886_c75cebca0e.jpg

I think I neglected some small details, while building some more important elements. At first I didn't intended it to have an interior, but when I made that choice, I had to change a lot of things. For example, the corridor that lead to the cockpit isn't very nice, but I was limited by the width, the mandible attachment points, and the angled parts where the cannon are. If I had put an escape pod, I should have placed it inside the ship, and I didn't had much space. The entrance has to be placed here because that was the only place where I could put a retractable ramp as it was close to the ground.

Concerning the interior, it was a first for me. And I just couldn't add all the details I wanted. There's not even a bathroom on that ship. I could have add a small room, but at the cost of other details, like the speeder that is in the way of all the rear half of the interior space.

I tried to have some MF references, like the turrets, the curved couch, the doors/corridors... But the MF is a lot more bigger!

I'd like to go to more LEGO exhibitions, but Belgium is too far away...

Bob, I don't suppose you could give us (me :sweet: ) any insight on how you get your inspiration for these ships, is it just playing around with parts, like BEAVeR said, or something else... :look: Do you have any tips on building ships of this size?

Yep, it looks like a flying brick... I'm not totally satisfied by the end result. :sceptic:

I don't think it does, more like a flying circle attached to a brick. :wink: Edited by Lord Tyrus

My god Bob, that interior is amazing.

Have you ever thought of making a Mon Calamari cruiser? It would almost certainly be a spectacular masterpiece.

I think I neglected some small details, while building some more important elements. At first I didn't intended it to have an interior, but when I made that choice, I had to change a lot of things. For example, the corridor that lead to the cockpit isn't very nice, but I was limited by the width, the mandible attachment points, and the angled parts where the cannon are. If I had put an escape pod, I should have placed it inside the ship, and I didn't had much space. The entrance has to be placed here because that was the only place where I could put a retractable ramp as it was close to the ground.

Concerning the interior, it was a first for me. And I just couldn't add all the details I wanted. There's not even a bathroom on that ship. I could have add a small room, but at the cost of other details, like the speeder that is in the way of all the rear half of the interior space.

I tried to have some MF references, like the turrets, the curved couch, the doors/corridors... But the MF is a lot more bigger!

I'm sorry, sometimes I forget that even perfect builders have to make choices. but I really like the ones you took :classic: . My suggestions are just things you can consider next time, in a different situation, maybe including them from the beginning.

To talk about the notorious corridor some more, I understand you don't have a lot of room or possibilities. Still, you have the opportunity to be creative. The exposed antistuds, for example, could be covered by inverted tiles or those pieces from the hinges with the very flat top part. There could be the suggestion of a maintenance hatch in the floor, and maybe some status lights on the wall. Just to give you an idea that you can still to something there.

I always wonder if you never get tired of working on a certain build (I know I do...), because there is so much to see and so little areas that seem a little neglected. You must have a serious condition to keep building!

And that was indeed the kind of engine I was talking about. Maybe more segments could bring more smoothness. And you could experiment with different shades of those studs. Or just use tiles...

I'm sorry, sometimes I forget that even perfect builders have to make choices. but I really like the ones you took :classic: . My suggestions are just things you can consider next time, in a different situation, maybe including them from the beginning.

To talk about the notorious corridor some more, I understand you don't have a lot of room or possibilities. Still, you have the opportunity to be creative. The exposed antistuds, for example, could be covered by inverted tiles or those pieces from the hinges with the very flat top part. There could be the suggestion of a maintenance hatch in the floor, and maybe some status lights on the wall. Just to give you an idea that you can still to something there.

I don't consider myself a perfect builder (if that even exists), so it's always nice to get contructive critiques.

I'm still not used to use the 2x2 inverted tiles, but that could have been a good improvement.

I always wonder if you never get tired of working on a certain build (I know I do...), because there is so much to see and so little areas that seem a little neglected. You must have a serious condition to keep building!

Oh yes I get tired of working on the same model, so I often just drop it for weeks before continuing the work. Something I often do is looking at the model for some time just before going to bed. Being insomniac has some benefits :wink:

And that was indeed the kind of engine I was talking about. Maybe more segments could bring more smoothness. And you could experiment with different shades of those studs. Or just use tiles...

More segments would be difficult, but I've been thinking of a 1-wide segments technique that I'll need to test one day.

Oh my god, this is amazing! This is all I've ever wanted in a ship! If you are selling instructions, I would definitely bricklink this beauty! Outstanding!!

Bob, I'm curious whether you have any sketches, drafts or prototypes you used and worked with when first designing shie beauty in LDD back these days. If you do, I'd love so see them. I can't stop wondering about the complexity of the construction, especially since you designed in virtual software. I feel (based on my own experience) it's actually in some way harder than working in real bricks you can pick up by hand. I'm doing some LDD design myself and I often deal with lack of inspiration of which part to use - thus I'd like to know what stands beyond this masterpiece and to learn from excellent designer.

This is so amazing!!! you have surpassed yourself this time, there isn't a single bit I don't like, the shapes flow so elegantly, the detail of the interiors, the "functions", this is absolutely one of the best (or maybe the best) minifig scale spaceship ever.

Fantastic build! The interior just puts it over the top!